Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

iOS 11 ringer volume

How do you adjust the ringer volume on the iPhone in the new iOS 11? The buttons on the side just adjust the volume not the ringer anymore.

Posted on Sep 19, 2017 7:02 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Sep 19, 2017 8:09 PM

Got it. The ringer volume is on Settings > Sounds & Haptics> Ringer and Alerts

The volume control on the home screen and on the Control Center are the same control and it affects only music and perhaps a few other things like Siri (haven't been able to investigate yet).

You can change this to make it work like deggie's phone by turning ON the "Change with Buttons" option. Then, the two controls will be different - the control on the home screen will affect the ringer and the control on the Control Center will affect music. If you operate the side buttons while the phone is ringing, it will correctly turn the ringer off without regard to the haptics setting.

34 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Sep 19, 2017 8:09 PM in response to Bucco24

Got it. The ringer volume is on Settings > Sounds & Haptics> Ringer and Alerts

The volume control on the home screen and on the Control Center are the same control and it affects only music and perhaps a few other things like Siri (haven't been able to investigate yet).

You can change this to make it work like deggie's phone by turning ON the "Change with Buttons" option. Then, the two controls will be different - the control on the home screen will affect the ringer and the control on the Control Center will affect music. If you operate the side buttons while the phone is ringing, it will correctly turn the ringer off without regard to the haptics setting.

Sep 19, 2017 7:57 PM in response to Philly_Phan

Philly_Phan wrote:

deggie wrote:

You can use Control Center and adjust the volume separately for Music.

Apparently not on the "7." I'm in Settings > Control Center > Customize right now and there is no widget for volume of anything. I'm very surprised at the functional differences between the 7 and the 7+.

Aha! I got out of settings and went to the Control Center. There is a permanent music volume control there. I also did some experimenting. CONTRARY TO MY EARLIER COMMENT, that volume control AND the one on the home screen BOTH control the music volume. So far, I'm unable to find any way to change the ringer volume.

Oct 18, 2017 6:09 AM in response to jpwriter

jpwriter wrote:

I went into settings/sounds & haptics/ringer and alerts and switched ON for Change w Buttons. But the buttons still only controlled volume. In other words, the change didn't work.

THEN, I turned phone off and back on. Now the buttons work to control the ringer.

No clue why the off/on was necessary but, if it now works the way that you wish, that's all the matters.

iOS 11 ringer volume

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.