Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

iPhone brightness keeps changing

I set brightness later it changes

[Re-Titled by Host]

iPhone 7 Plus, iOS 11

Posted on Sep 20, 2017 3:29 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Oct 6, 2017 8:55 PM

I’ve disabled auto-brightness in Accessibility as well as ensured white point is disabled. Regardless, my screen will suddenly drop in brightness level. I have to manually flick up to the mini-menu to return brightness to full. Any help would be great.

Night shift is off for troubleshooting.

55 replies

Dec 2, 2017 11:33 AM in response to zoom2186

Except that this new horribly designed glitch worthy software no longer has an auto brightness switch rather it is automatically done. This is ridiculious, my phone continues to crash and this light bothers my eyes. I am really considering Androids at this point, it was not until this new update that everyone started having problems. You all need to do better!

Sep 20, 2017 4:39 PM in response to zoom2186

Hi zoom2186,

I understand that you have set the brightness on your iPhone, but it changes on its own. I'm happy to provide some help for this.

Based on what you've described, it sounds like you have Auto-Brightness enabled. You can learn more about this feature here:

Adjust the display settings on your iPhone, iPad, or iPod touch - Apple Support

Set brightness or use Auto-Brightness

To adjust brightness, use Control Center. You can also do this from Settings, where you can find extra options like Auto-Brightness. Here's how:

User uploaded file

1. Go to Settings > Display & Brightness.
  2. Drag the slider to the right or left.
  3. If your iOS device has an ambient-light sensor, you’ll see an Auto-Brightness setting under the slider. Auto-Brightness uses a light sensor to adjust brightness based on your surroundings. This setting can sometimes improve battery life.

If you want to raise or lower the Auto-Brightness levels, you can customize the setting:

1. Go to Settings > Display & Brightness and turn on Auto-Brightness. The brightness slider moves according to the lighting conditions.
  2. Use the slider to adjust the Auto-Brightness setting.

If Auto-Brightness isn’t working as expected, reset it. Go to Settings > Display & Brightness and turn off Auto-Brightness. Then turn it on again.

Want the colors of your display to automatically shift to the warmer end of the color spectrum after dark? Just turn on Night Shift on your iOS device.

Thanks for using the Apple Support Communities. Cheers!

Dec 24, 2017 5:51 PM in response to Holytwinkie

Apple would move it because they want to tell us that anyone who can't read the screen at the auto-brightness level has an "accessibility" issue. When in fact some of us just like a little more background illumination.

Ultimately i think the apparatchiks at Apple are trying to pathologise as abnormal a personal choice. This in turn likely has something to do with power consumption and the virtues of minimising same. Only that "conservatives" not just progressives also like to conserve.

I just wish the "progressives" at Apple would stick to their knitting rather than subtly trying to influence our life choices. The left has become so totalitarian. They are doing themselves no favours.

Mar 20, 2018 8:54 PM in response to zoom2186

This is incredibly frustrating when watching an apple movie in iTunes on my iPad supposedly 4K HDR iOS 11 (usually with subtitles enabled): The brightness/contrast fluctuates with the characters on the screen. This is followed me across different iPads different iOS versions different formats. I don’t understand why the best audio video tablets on the planet can’t handle subtitles without fluctuating brightness. This helps; too bad apple doesn’t (recalibrate the sensors):

https://www.addictivetips.com/ios/fix-ios-6-auto-brightness-issues-by-calibratin g-iphone-light-sensors/

May 4, 2018 12:19 PM in response to zoom2186

This is not just a settings issue. I have the same problem. I have an iPhone 8 (but to be fair, it happened with my iPhone 6 as well), and iOS 11.3. Auto-Brightness is turned off (by the way, the new location for this setting is not intuitive and almost stupid that it's buried so far in settings, which furthers my belief that Apple doesn't want you to use it), I have True Tone turned off, and I have my brightness set at about 55%. It will be that way for a while. if I have the phone locked for a while, when I go back in, the brightness slider is set way down at about 25%. The Auto-Brightness and True Tone settings haven't changed, but the brightness slider went down to about half of what it was and it does not automatically return to that brightness. I'm not entirely sure when it started happening with my iPhone 6, but I think it was probably around iOS 11. When I got my brand new iPhone 8 (after digging for the auto-brightness setting, which again is in an inexplicable place) I set everything the way I wanted it and it has yet to stay that way. It seems that, for whatever reason, Apple wants to save your battery life at any cost and regardless of how you feel about it. This screen dimming thing is not helpful, and it makes it harder to see things until you adjust it back. I have a new phone, a new battery, and a completely fresh install of iOS 11.3, and it still wants to turn my screen brightness down, even after I tell it not to. Battery drain or not, the phone does me no good if I can't see it.

Oct 26, 2017 11:18 AM in response to gfwp

Same here -- I have all the correct settings enabled to ensure that the brightness doesn't auto-change, and it keeps changing! My other complaint is that even when I have the brightness turned all the way up, it is considerably darker than my other phones. For example, I have an iPhone 7 for work and when I compare them side-by-side (with both having the brightness turned all the way up) my iPhone 8+ is about 3/4 less bright. So disappointed 😟

Nov 4, 2017 9:01 PM in response to charchar5309

charchar5309 and lildet I am having the same issue on my second iPhone 8 plus and Apple have informed that "Its not normal behaviour" so I would call up and discuss your options with them. They have been extremely helpful in trying to rule whether this is a hidden feature or fault with the new iPhone 8 plus or IOS 11....but even after running a sysdiagnose and uploading to Apple they have decided to replace my iPhone 8 plus for the second time. I hope its 3rd time lucky for me! Initially there were no posts when I started having this issue but I am noticing that this issue is popping up more online now. Good luck 🙂

Jun 9, 2018 12:35 PM in response to moonbird-arts

I drive for uber eats and use my phone for maps etc. I cant stop the phone from going dark. The phone is fully up to

date running 11.4. I have turned off and on the auto brightness. I have tried everything I could find in accessibility. I have wiped and rebuilt the phone. It still goes so dark in the car that its hard to read even with the slider all the way up. If you bring the slider more than 1/3 down the screen is black. Im out of ideas .

Jun 10, 2018 7:05 PM in response to zoom2186

I have an iPhone 7 Plus, and auto-brightness switched off. But u still have to check the phone brightness 3 times a day because something keeps raising it from 30% to 100%, and it doesn't have anything to do with auto-brightness settings.

To me it seems to be an app. Apps aren't supposed to access such things without authorisation, but they can and do. I recently informed Apple about how i was talking un the same room as my iPhone about beans on toast to my Girlfriend who is from Laos and doesn't know it, and three hours later i open youtube and the first video i see is 'beans on toast'

A month earlier i had told a friend in iMessage (which google shouldnt have access to), using Siri, that "i used to go to St Peter's School York"

Next day i open youtube on my Pc logged in to the same google account as that on my iPhone, and presto, the first video i am recommended is "St Peter's School York"

Apple assistant seemed concerned and said would send it up the line, because this means that apps are accessing forbidden features for forbidden reasons

Google and youtube apps definitely secretly listen in on your conversations. I already proved that to myself with the above story. So coming back to screen brightness, i would say its a non Apple app messing with brightness

iPhone brightness keeps changing

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.