Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

stopwatch on wrist raise after update to watchos 4

Ever since installing the watchOS 4 update, the stopwatch displays upon wrist raise. I’ve altered various settings for wrist raise but it still occurs. It’s very annoying! I don’t even have this app as part of my watch display. I just want to raise my wrist and have the watch face displayed. Any help? This has to be a bug.

Posted on Sep 20, 2017 5:17 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Sep 20, 2017 6:57 AM

I agree it is normal if the app was opened but it was not. My setting for “On screen wake show last app” was set to ”While In Session” yet closing, display still comes back on wrist raise. I had never launched the app since the upgrade and even force closed it. Still it comes back on wrist raise without invoking the stopwatch app. It is definitely a bug related to the upgrade.

I had restarted the watch which did not resolve. I have unpaired and paired new with restoring to a backup. So far, this is working now as expected without displaying the stopwatch app unexpectedly.

53 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Sep 20, 2017 6:57 AM in response to Jonathan UK

I agree it is normal if the app was opened but it was not. My setting for “On screen wake show last app” was set to ”While In Session” yet closing, display still comes back on wrist raise. I had never launched the app since the upgrade and even force closed it. Still it comes back on wrist raise without invoking the stopwatch app. It is definitely a bug related to the upgrade.

I had restarted the watch which did not resolve. I have unpaired and paired new with restoring to a backup. So far, this is working now as expected without displaying the stopwatch app unexpectedly.

Feb 7, 2018 4:58 PM in response to aarynnc

Sorry, this was my first time posting to an Apple discussion, and i had not completed the message.....

So part 2...

Be Sure to get the Timy at http://www.timyapp.com/

not the Timy at Timy - TinyCal Lite on the App Store

I installed the one at http://www.timyapp.com/ and that Timy stopwatch will show up in Complications too on the Watch face and will work for you until Apple fixes their stopwatch

Thanks.

Sep 20, 2017 6:35 AM in response to aarynnc

Thank you for posting this question. I just updated last night and since then every time I raise my wrist to check time the stopwatch is displayed. I close it, then again when I raise wrist for display the stopwatch again appears. This is not a complication I have on my watch face nor did I ever start a stopwatch session.

Any help on stopping this unwanted and unprompted action from occurring would be very helpful as it is extremely annoying to try to check the time or weather on default watch face and see the stopwatch.

Sep 22, 2017 10:28 PM in response to aarynnc

I’ve had the same issue since watchOS 4. Every time I have a stopwatch running, the wake screen always returns to the stopwatch app, no matter how long I’ve had the watch idle.

I just got my series 3 LTE and paired the new watch to my iPhone and restored the most recent backup of my series 2. Same behavior. I’ve also tried unpairing and repairing. No good.

This can‘t be expected behavior. Even if I have a watch face with a stopwatch complication, or Siri face with stopwatch status enabled, the behavior is the same. This absolutely did not happen with watchOS 3. I use the stopwatch on a daily basis for hours at a time so I’m very very familiar with the watchOS 3 behavior.

Does anyone one have any other suggestions? Has this been reported to Apple as a bug yet?

I’ve had to use a third party stopwatch app for now, but this is not optimal because the app doesn’t have a complication.

Sep 26, 2017 5:04 PM in response to schultemn

I‘ve experienced this as well and also find it very annoying. I suspect it’s an unexpecited side effect of something Apple did on purpose. Have you noticed that whenever you’re playing music from your phone, when you raise your wrist it shows the music player controls Instead of the watch face? I think they did that on purpose but I find that annoying as well.

Sep 27, 2017 3:57 PM in response to aarynnc

I’m having the same issues with my new LTE series 3. I use the stopwatch all the time as well as the timer. Never happened before. Now, if the stopwatch and sometimes timer is going no matter what my settings are it will always land on stopwatch when wrist is raised. Even if the setting is “within two min”

Any ideas on a way to fix this would be greatly appreciated.

Sep 28, 2017 7:15 AM in response to sfmurph

Un-pairing then re-pairing (restoring from backup that had just been made during un-pairing) doesn't help. After the restore I did this:

1) switch watch face to siri

2) open stopwatch, start it

3) return to Siri face, confirm that the stopwatch is running (as it's now the first card on the Siri face)

4) place hand over watch to put the screen to sleep

5) wait a bit, then raise wrist

The Siri face SHOULD show, but instead it goes right back to the stopwatch app.

6) stop the stopwatch

7) place hand over watch to put the screen to sleep

8) wait a bit, then raise wrist

At this point, since the stopwatch is not actually counting up, the watch acts as expected and shows the Siri face (or whatever face I happen to have active as my current watch face).

This must be a bug; the point of the Siri face is to be able to raise wrist and see the various cards, including stopwatch status.

I've moved to another stopwatch app in the meantime.

Perhaps un-pairing then paring as a new watch may fix this, but I want all my existing data and config.

Sep 28, 2017 8:42 AM in response to schultemn

Ah. The issue that I had was that the stopwatch was always coming up on raise-wrist, even when I wasn't using it. Your situation is different, in that the stopwatch is running. You'd like the fact that the stopwatch is part of the face to avoid bringing up the stopwatch. Good point, and it would apply to any face that's had the stopwatch complication added. Sorry I can't help more.

Oct 5, 2017 11:24 AM in response to schultemn

You hit the nail on the head with this post. Prior to the update, I run the stopwatch for all hours in the week that I am punched in at work. It keeps a running tally of my hours at 8 +/- hours per shift, (I can always see how much overtime I have banked). I have been doing this for at least 1 year on my Apple Watch original. Now, with this "feature", my face opening to the stopwatch every time I raise my wrist has inadvertently reset the stopwatch to zero, (or at best pushed the lap button), on some occasions unbeknownst to me, (seems to occur when I am not even intending to look at my watch. This also makes the Siri face useless to me. Truly wish Siri face would not bring stopwatch or countdown timer to the forefront of its list. I have stopped using the stopwatch for this, and just set an 8 hour timer every day and loosely keep track. Might try setting a 40 hour timer at week start and do it that way...but it is nice to have the 8 hour elapse buzzer tell me that I can go home if I want.

Oct 9, 2017 11:47 AM in response to Kevin Geiss

It is bad enough that if I leave the watch face running that has the stopwatch complication on it, I run the risk, (and have inadvertently executed it), of resetting the stopwatch on wrist raise anyway. I need to slide to a different face just in case. Add to this that the countdown timer can not exceed 23:59:59, and I can no longer monitor my work week hours. My wife works with me and is salaried, she used to ask on our 5th workday home many hours we needed to hit 40 for the week...I can no longer answer that question.

stopwatch on wrist raise after update to watchos 4

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.