Want to highlight a helpful answer? Upvote!

Did someone help you, or did an answer or User Tip resolve your issue? Upvote by selecting the upvote arrow. Your feedback helps others! Learn more about when to upvote >

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

iPhone not getting text notifications

Since upgrading to iOS 11, my iPhone 5S no longer makes a sound or displays a notification on my locked screen when I receive a text message.

I've checked that "Do Not Disturb" is turned off, and that the sound mute button is not turned on. I also checked in Settings / Sounds and I have a sound selected for Text Messages.

When I get a text message, the only way I know I got it is if I click on the home button to start up the display. In addition to not making any sound, the text message doesn't even light up my phone display when I get it, but if I click on the Home button to turn on the screen, I can see the notification.

This is a bit of problem, I depend on text messages quite a bit in my job and now I have no idea if I'm getting a text message unless I keep checking my phone. How do I fix this, or is this a bug in iOS 11?

[Re-Titled by Host]

Posted on Sep 20, 2017 10:37 AM

372 replies

Oct 18, 2017 2:11 PM in response to videoscenes

I have checked or tried the following:

• Do Not Disturb is not turned on at the time.
  • Bluetooth, when on, is not connected to any other device.
  • Updating to iOS 11.03 didn’t fix the problem.
  • I do not have an Apple Watch.
  • Restarting iPhone makes no difference.
  • In Notification Settings, Show Previews is set to Always.
  • Messages notification settings are: Allow: ON, Badge App Icon: ON, Show in CarPlay: ON, Show on Lock Screen: ON, Show in History: ON, Show as Banners: ON (Temporary), Show Previews: ON, Repeat Alerts: Twice.

I still don't get notifications when receiving some text messages. Unless I go into Settings and turn Bluetooth off.

I encourage everyone to report this bug directly to Apple here: Feedback - iPhone - Apple

Sep 22, 2017 9:51 PM in response to IdrisSeabright

It is my observation that notifications that are not to show on the lock screen (for privacy reasons) are suppressed completely. Under iOS 10 (and earlier), as soon as the iPhone is unlocked, the notification shows up (I use the slide-in-from-top mode for the Banner). Regardless of whether they are set to "Temporary" or "Persistent" (the new terms for the Banner notification), they do not show up unless you also allow them on the lock screen. I consider that to be a bug.

Sep 18, 2018 4:07 AM in response to lucianf0

...and later on found this: Can I get notifications on both my phone AND my watch?

It turns out you CAN'T get notifications on both watch+iphone (as per this: Notifications on your Apple Watch - Apple Support) unless you disable wrist detection, which kind of dumbs down the watch.

So to sum up, if you have a phone and a watch here's the matrix:

• with bluetooth off: notifications on phone only, no notifications (or any comms whatsoever) on the watch
  • with bluetooth on
    • phone unlocked: notifications on phone only
    • phone locked:
      • watch wrist detection on
        • watch unlocked: notifications on watch only, no audible notifications on phone (silent only)
        • watch locked/DND: notifications on phone only
      • watch wrist detection off: notifications on both phone & watch, but no Apple Pay, Stand credit, single unlock

Sep 22, 2017 1:49 PM in response to TomNYC

Same thing here on my 6. But it's not just text messages. Not receiving any notifications at all from any apps. I've checked all their settings and tried rebooting, but it didn't work. This is a fairly significant issue as I have no idea if I missed something on my phone without going in and checking all the relevant apps.

Sep 26, 2017 1:42 PM in response to TomNYC

I have this same issue on my iPhone 7. I never know if I am getting a text anymore and spend hours without looking at my phone. I have gone through all of the notifications settings in the Settings area, and have made sure that my volume and ringer volume are the highest they can be.

It also doesn't vibrate when the ringer is flipped off. Please fix this Apple!!!

Sep 26, 2017 3:23 PM in response to GonzoPSK

Same issue here as well with IOS11 and Iphone7. The text message notifications stopped working after a while when the phone is locked even if not on silent, they worked fine for some time then stopped. This is a bug and not by design, the reason is because it's solved by a reboot. I rebooted my phone and notifications started working again.

Oct 6, 2017 12:32 PM in response to TomNYC

All, I may have stumbled on the cause and fix. I have had this same problem since iOS 11.

Hope this helps others....

Short story:

Try going to Settings --> Bluetooth and disable Bluetooth.

Retest Messages and alerts / sounds come through fine.

Some combination of enabling/disabling BT kills the notifications, read on for more...

Long story:

Initially, it seemed that I could reproduce the problem and the resolution.

Go to Settings --> Touch ID & Passcode, enter your passcode, then scroll down to:

"ALLOW ACCESS WHEN LOCKED":

"Recent Notifications" (I had this unticked)

With this unticked, I get zero alerts when the phone is locked. If I re-tick the "Recent Notifications" toggle, then my Messages alerts/notifications come through just fine.

Or so I thought! This worked a few times, then stopped completely again!

So, I previously had issues with iOS 10.x on my iPhone 6S getting Message notifications when Bluetooth was enabled. So, I almost always left it disabled.

I noticed that with iOS 11 Bluetooth seemed to keep re-enabling itself automatically somehow. So, I kept turning it back off via Control Center.

It appears in iOS 11 however, that turning off Bluetooth via Control Center does NOT actually turn Bluetooth off. It seems more like a soft disable because there is a new message there that says "New Bluetooth connections have been turned off from Control Center". Which is actually kinda cool, but anyways...

With Bluetooth "off" in Control Center and no Bluetooth icon in the top status bar, I then went into Settings --> Bluetooth.

Guess what? Bluetooth is enabled! Disable Bluetooth completely and lock my phone. Send a new text iMessage from another device and voila!, I get the notification pop up and sounds/vibrations. All good!

Some combination of enabling/disabling Bluetooth via Control Center kills the notifications/alerts.

If I re-enable Bluetooth, alerts still come through, but if I disable Bluetooth from Control Center again....alerts are gone again.

Sep 27, 2017 7:36 PM in response to TomNYC

Similar issue on iPhone 6. I get the notifications to pop up on my lock screen, but they either disappear immediately or after the screen shuts off. So if I am not looking at my phone right when I get the text, I have no way of knowing when I check the lock screen unless I open the phone.

I thought 11.01 would fix the issue but it didn't. I have tried resetting my phone several times; sometimes it fixes the issue for an hour maybe, but then the issue comes back. I have noticed sometimes the texts will stay on the lock screen if I also have other notifications that were already there before.

I called Apple today; the man I spoke to said this is the first he is hearing of this issue and his recommendation was to factory reset my phone....I don't really want to do that since I know it is an IOS 11 issue.

Aug 1, 2018 2:20 AM in response to TomNYC

Ok, so after much annoyance and frustration my husband fixed this me me. It’s seems I must have accidentally swiped my message thread from the right and hit ‘hide alerts ‘ . The easy way to identify this is when you go to edit messages and look at the message logo it will show a half moon next to the circle logo. If you see the half moon then swipe that message from the right and select ‘show alerts’. Enjoy! User uploaded file

Sep 28, 2017 8:11 AM in response to Art_Vandelay_10

I almost wonder if it is some combination of other settings being turned on or off. The whole thing is pretty suspect. I am sorry for everybody else, but I am glad that there might be enough people having an issue now that Apple may take notice. I have been having this problem since iOS 10.x. Remembering to keep BT turned off is annoying enough for me anyways, it would be nice if it just worked like it was supposed to.

As others have mentioned, it would be worth submitting feedback to Apple on it:

Product Feedback - Apple

Oct 6, 2017 1:04 PM in response to TomNYC

Well obviously this is a problem for lots of people, not just me, based on all the comments and activity this thread got since my first post.

None of the iOS 11 updates Apple has release so far has fixed the problem, and rebooting my iPhone didn't help, either. The person who posted this reply hit on the cause and temporary solution: Re: Text message notifications not working in iOS 11

While Bluetooth is turned on, I get no text message notification sounds at all. When I turn Bluetooth off — which you have to do by going into the Settings app, turning it off on the swipe-up control panel doesn't work — I get text message notification sounds, but not always! There's no rhyme or reason to which text messages will make a sound and which ones won't. It seems that if the text message comes through Apple's iMessage system, I will get a notification sound. If it originates from some other source, I may or may not get a notification sound.

Everyone who is having this problem, please report it directly to Apple so they will fix this in an upcoming iOS update. You can report the problem here: Feedback - iPhone - Apple

iPhone not getting text notifications

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.