Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

ios 11 slow wifi speeds

Updated my 6s and now my WiFi speeds are at a crawl mostly under 25mbs in the same room as a laptop getting 75mbs download speeds.

I’ve done a Forced Restart

Toggled WiFi on/off

Forgotten WiFi networks

Reset WiFi networks

Turned off Location Services

Etc etc etc

The only thing I have done is reset the entire phone 📱

Anyone else reporting these issues?

Posted on Sep 20, 2017 11:19 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Sep 22, 2017 5:35 PM

Seeing inconsistent WiFi speeds just like you on our 70mbs connection, with both our iPhones. (7+, 6+)

Our iPads are fine. (iPad 10.5, iPad Air 2)

I’ve tried everything, including restore through iTunes as new iPhone. This never happened on 10.3.3.

Think there’s a bug in WiFi. It’s frustrating. Did you figure anything out?

132 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Sep 22, 2017 5:35 PM in response to fidola13

Seeing inconsistent WiFi speeds just like you on our 70mbs connection, with both our iPhones. (7+, 6+)

Our iPads are fine. (iPad 10.5, iPad Air 2)

I’ve tried everything, including restore through iTunes as new iPhone. This never happened on 10.3.3.

Think there’s a bug in WiFi. It’s frustrating. Did you figure anything out?

Sep 24, 2017 11:20 AM in response to fidola13

Hi there,

Had the very same issue with my iPhone 7 Red 256gb. Everyone else in the house were fine on their devices (other smartphones, laptops etc) Nothing large was downloading across my network. No matter what I did my iPhone on iOS 11.0 would hang and not load web pages on Safari, Amazon, eBay app my Elder Scrolls Legends just wouldn't load, hanging etc. Tried soft & hard reboot and nothing!! Grrr

Rolled back to 10.3.3 where my iPhone 7 Red is much happier :-) And is going to stay that way until Apple sort out the bugs in iOS11.

Plus one thing that really annoys me! Is the volume rockers now control the volume on the media and not your ringer!!! Which is really annoying!!!

Kind regards,

Anthony

Apr 21, 2018 4:33 PM in response to fidola13

Maybe I have found some clues...

Attached you'll find my network configuration.

The problem has begun with my wife's new iPhone SE, iOS 11.3

In our house we only use the 5ghz band due to the incredible number of interfering surrounding 2.4 ghz networks (54...).

For the same reason I had to create a completely wired Apple routers network, as showed in the picture, with the exception of an old Airport Express used as a wifi extender in my son's bedroom.

Using Ookla the "normal" attained speeds are: DL 94 Mbps / UL 48 Mbps.

Theese speeds are constant over many iOS devices in any angle of the house: iPad, iPad Pro, iPhone 6S, all using iOS 11.3 (same speeds are obtained by non-apple devices, wired and wireless).

With the notable exception of the new iPhone SE.

BUT it depends on the "kind" of Apple router to which it's connected: the Time Capsule and the Airport Extreme are fine, I can get the max speed using my wife's phone.

But when it is connected to the two wired Airport Express I can get just one third of the max speed in DL, being the UL speed optimal. And when it's connected to the old Airport Express...well...much slower

This happens ONLY using the iPhone SE

I came to the conclusion that we are considering at least three variables: the device operating system (iOS version) the router chipset (BTW all my routers have the latest firmware) and the device chipset.

Hope it helps!User uploaded file

Oct 29, 2017 8:42 PM in response to fidola13

Guys try to test your local WiFi speeds too its easy:

Download the server app to run on your MAC/PC from here:

https://www.accessagility.com/wifiperf-endpoints?submissionGuid=2c97fb9b-8b9b-4b 06-a68e-8aa34b3739df

And then download the client app on your device:

https://itunes.apple.com/us/app/fleet-remote/id1218309561?mt=8

This way you can test your local WiFi speed and see if it's your device WiFi or the test server is acting strangely.

Apr 29, 2018 11:51 PM in response to fidola13

Try this. It fixed my problem. If your router/modem has a setting for the 2.4 Ghz channel, change the channel bandwidth to 20 Mhz. Then, if you have a 5Ghz channel, change the channel bandwidth to 80Mhz, or if there is a setting that allows 20, 40, and 80 Mhz, use that setting.

Also, see this Apple support document: https://support.apple.com/en-us/HT202068

Sep 27, 2017 4:56 AM in response to fidola13

Yes. 7s plus. I use my phone to test the Wifi in my home. Normally I get speed tests of 116 mbps now I get 70 mbps ish for my 100 mbps service. All of my other MAC devices are speed testing at the 116 mbps range. Not 100% sure if it's the update or maybe the phone is experiencing a problem, coincidence?. Everything seems ok just slower.

Update. Rebooted phone-same slower speed test results. Then turned WIFI off/on. For the first time since iOS 11 update I get the 116 mbps test result. hope consistent and not a fluke.

Sep 27, 2017 6:39 AM in response to fidola13

I've been having the same issue. I tried everything in my power to change it including resetting my phone to brand new. Didn't work

The only thing that worked was changing wifi networks. Where I work it's perfect but at home it's awful

iPhones have a quality for poor WiFi signals since forever, it may just be your router that's not powerful enough

Oct 1, 2017 2:07 AM in response to fidola13

I also have the same issue i resetted my phone and everything forget network setting and reboot modem toggled wifi also but it seems to still be like this when i turn off my wifi and speed test my mbps is regular which is 15mbps but when i turn on the wifi it immediately goes back to 8mbps so that was when i figured out it was my phone i checked my apps but i wasnt downloading anything and nobody was home at the time but me

Oct 3, 2017 4:37 PM in response to ChazThePhoenix

I’ve literally tried everything to correct this speed issue with my iphone 7 Plus and 6 Plus.

I’ve restored as new (loading new without a backup), reset all settings and even replaced our modem. iPhone is inconsistent with speeds, in same area our iPads (Air 2 / 10.5) get full speeds.

Oddly enough, I can switch Airplane mode on/off on the iPhones and speed comes back temporarily. Eventually goes back to same behavior.

I’ve run plenty of tests within 15-30 seconds of each other on identical servers and the iPads are always rock solid. The iPhones are inconsistent (1/2 speed or less of iPad). Never saw this behavior on iOS 10.

It has to be some kind of software issue. I’ve reported to Apple several times. Hopefully they will fix soon.

Oct 3, 2017 6:23 PM in response to 2012FitFan

It’s def a software issue. My wife has the exact phone I do (except in white) and she gets mail super fast. Of course same network etc. I even have more space than she does AND she is on 11.01, not .02

Turning OFF cellular assist when WiFi is slow helped somewhat. This is a dumb setting anyway.

I have 3 google email address it checks. My response with NO NEW mail takes longer than my wife who receives 45 messages. Explain THAT

Oct 4, 2017 2:49 PM in response to fidola13

I may have inadvertently found a fix for the slow WiFi speeds.

I reset all settings on my 7 Plus again. As I was entering my settings, I disabled “WiFi Assist”. I then swiped up for the control panel and disabled/enabled “Cellular Data”. After that, both our phones are getting consistent WiFi speeds like our iPads.

This has been several hours now and still working fine. Maybe something folks here can try?

Maybe this issue has to do with a “Cellular Data” and WiFi conflict in the software?

Fingers crossed. If it reverts back, I’ll update the thread.

Oct 4, 2017 3:23 PM in response to 2012FitFan

what settings did you leave the Cellular roaming data at? did you enable Voice and Data?

I honestly think that its what you said, that Cellular or LTE and wifi are fighting one another, not knowing who is in control..

I performed your steps and it does seem snappier...I will know when i get to my home network, were there are limited number connections

ios 11 slow wifi speeds

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.