Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

iOS 11 update ringtones purchased not working

So I updated to iOS 11 and now my ringtones that I have purchased are not playing when someone calls only plays the Apple ringtone not mine and I have it set in the sounds

Posted on Sep 20, 2017 12:38 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Sep 24, 2017 4:39 AM

I found this post on another stream and it worked for me!

“ I might be wrong, but this could be because of how iTunes has just changed. If you go into Sounds & Haptics and for example go to text tone, you see at the top it’ll say “download all purchased tones” have you tried that?“

210 replies

Sep 24, 2017 8:16 PM in response to Crgrona26

Ditto! And the "genius" at the bar first told my wife to reset all settings (didn't work), and then to reset and restore her iPhone from our backup, which then required her to do the same on her Apple watch, and it still didn't work. On top of that, the ringtones were no longer on her phone, couldn't be downloaded as Ritchiescritch suggested or by syncing with iTunes, and could only be restored from our Time Machne backup on our Time Capsule - complete waste of 3 hours!

The "genius" at the bar also went to the back of the store to check his problem DB to see if others had seen this issue - he claimed not. That is patently not the case as google searches and this forum clearly demonstrate! He suggested I submit the issue to apple.com/feedback which I did but doubt that will result in any action.

The lack of regression testing of OS11 on basic features for which customers have paid to utilize is extremely disappointing. If there is an Apple support resource monitoring this forum, I'd be very interested in your perspective on the issue, the lack of transparency, and how Apple intends to resolve it and educate your "geniuses" to deliver more analytical value than "erase everything and start over" - this is NOT the user experience that Steve would find satisfactory.

Sep 25, 2017 1:25 PM in response to howard238

This is definitely an Apple problem, not an individual phone problem. There are hundreds of people on here trying to figure out what to do about it, and with no solutions, complaining about it. It is extremely annoying, especially since the default ringtone, "opening," is an extremely annoying sound. I have done everything everyone suggested, and I can only conclude that the only thing is for Apple to fix IOS 11 so we can have our custom ringtones back.

Sep 25, 2017 2:20 PM in response to Dnjames

Same issue. Like others, I have tried all the supposed fixes and workarounds that people have posted. None of them do anything. I actually have the ringtones on my phone. I can select them, I can play them, but they don't "take" as the actual ringtone. I've tried clicking "download purchased tones" in the settings menu. It spins for a few seconds, then the "download purchased tones" option disappears from the screen. But nothing changes. An hour or so later, the "download purchased tones" option reappears, and still does nothing.

This is an unbelievable fail. Steve would have fired people for this. The best thing I can say about iOS 11 thus far is that it's not as much of a regression from its predecessor as previous major releases have been, starting with iOS 7. I would kill to get iOS 6 back.

Sep 27, 2017 12:06 PM in response to Dnjames

I have had the exact same problem but have just fixed it by connecting my phone to iTunes via my pc, then select Tones and delete all the purchased ringtones, sync your phone so they are removed from your phone then go to the ringtones selection menu in settings on your phone and select the ‘download purchased ringtones’ option and when they have downloaded back onto your phone, they should work.👍

Sep 27, 2017 1:05 PM in response to Dnjames

Hey Apple here’s a suggestion for you genius’s. How about you beta test these updates on every single one of your employees for 6 months before you release it to the general public. Because apparently there are MANY people having the same exact issue... and guess what. YOU MAY HAVE A QUICK FIX FOR IT, BUT I CAN GUARANTEE YOU THAT NOBODY EITHER WANTS, NOR HAS THE EXTRA TIME IN THEIR DAY TO FIX YOUR MISTAKE!!!!

STOP RELEASING UPDATES THAT F*** UP OUR iPHONES!

Bad enough you charge over $900 for them!

Sincerely,

Ticked Off, Hard Working, No Time in his schedule to fix your mistake, disgruntled Customer!

Sep 27, 2017 3:11 PM in response to floodflash

You are correct that they can’t be redownloaded, but you can recover them if you have a Time Machine/Time Capsule or other backup solution. You just need to search for your ringtone (.m4r) files, and either restore them or copy them onto your desktop and drag them into the iTunes Tones folder. From there you can install them via sync on your phone and preview them, select them as default, but still can’t actually have them play for incoming calls.... :(

Sep 28, 2017 5:43 AM in response to caelan465

I was with an Apple senior advisor for more than an hour last night. She guided me on how to back up my iphone 7 and re install....nothing happened, did not resolve the issue. Finally she admitted it is an IOS glitch and she will forward this to their engineers for review and resolution and to wait for 2-4 days for a feedback.

I wish they can just give me back my moeny so I can purchase another brand that is on another system.

If there is a concerted effort to seek redress, let me know, I am in.

Sep 28, 2017 8:06 AM in response to Dnjames

Thanks to CaptScott1.

I have had the exact same problem but have just fixed it by connecting my phone to iTunes via my pc, then select Tones and delete all the purchased ringtones, sync your phone so they are removed from your phone then go to the ringtones selection menu in settings on your phone and select the ‘download purchased ringtones’ option and when they have downloaded back onto your phone, they should work.👍

Sep 28, 2017 10:53 AM in response to Dnjames

Under "Sounds" -> "Ringtones" you have really two lists, the first is the ringtones you bought or created, the second (starting after the end of the first, beginning with "Opening" followed by "Apex") is the list of built-in tones. For me, none of the tones in the first section work, and all of the tones in the second section do work. I am not suggesting this is "good news", as the built-in tones are not great at all, but I wanted to add this to the list of comments, to show that we are not necessarily stuck with "Opening", which really ***** 🙂

Of course this shouldn't happen at all, but such sentiments have been already expressed by many of us, so I won't repeat them.

iOS 11 update ringtones purchased not working

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.