Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Smart Keyboard not working since ios11.

Prior to ios11, the Keyboard was throwing up intermittent annoying warning messages saying it was an unsupported device, but since ios11, it is not even detected. I have tried reboot both with it connected and not connected. Can anyone help please?

iPad Pro Wi-Fi, iOS 11

Posted on Sep 21, 2017 1:56 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Sep 21, 2017 11:50 PM

Hi francis efromwakefield,

I understand that you've recently been having trouble with your Smart Keyboard connecting to your iPad Pro. It sounds like this started prior to updating and since updating the iPad is unable to detect the keyboard at all. I know it's important to be able to depend on your accessories and I'd like to help. You mention you've tried restarting the iPad with the keyboard attached and not attached, however the Smart Keyboard and iPad Pro need to be in the "Type" position when you perform this step. I'd recommend reviewing the following information:

If your iPad Pro doesn't detect your Smart Keyboard or you see an "Accessory not supported" alert on your iPad Pro, make sure there's no debris or plastic covering on the Smart Connector pins on the keyboard or the Smart Connector on the iPad Pro. Also, try these steps:

1. Make sure that your iPad Pro and Smart Keyboard are in the Type position.
  2. Remove the Smart Keyboard from your iPad Pro.
  3. Restart your iPad Pro.
  4. Reconnect the Smart Keyboard.
Use your Smart Keyboard with iPad Pro

If you've followed those exact steps and you don't see anything that could be blocking the Smart Connector pins, are you able to test the Smart Keyboard with a different iPad?

Best Regards.
303 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Sep 21, 2017 11:50 PM in response to francis efromwakefield

Hi francis efromwakefield,

I understand that you've recently been having trouble with your Smart Keyboard connecting to your iPad Pro. It sounds like this started prior to updating and since updating the iPad is unable to detect the keyboard at all. I know it's important to be able to depend on your accessories and I'd like to help. You mention you've tried restarting the iPad with the keyboard attached and not attached, however the Smart Keyboard and iPad Pro need to be in the "Type" position when you perform this step. I'd recommend reviewing the following information:

If your iPad Pro doesn't detect your Smart Keyboard or you see an "Accessory not supported" alert on your iPad Pro, make sure there's no debris or plastic covering on the Smart Connector pins on the keyboard or the Smart Connector on the iPad Pro. Also, try these steps:

1. Make sure that your iPad Pro and Smart Keyboard are in the Type position.
  2. Remove the Smart Keyboard from your iPad Pro.
  3. Restart your iPad Pro.
  4. Reconnect the Smart Keyboard.
Use your Smart Keyboard with iPad Pro

If you've followed those exact steps and you don't see anything that could be blocking the Smart Connector pins, are you able to test the Smart Keyboard with a different iPad?

Best Regards.

Oct 5, 2017 2:24 PM in response to chris_g1

I have the same issue as well. The keyboard is obviously detected because the screen keyboard disappears and reappears when I take the external keyboard off. If I reboot,the external keyboard works but is not working the next time I open up my iPad even though it is apparently registering because it forces the screen keyboard to disappear. I think you need a software fix. I have had no keyboard problems prior to iOS 11.

Oct 5, 2017 3:54 PM in response to francis efromwakefield

Same issue for me. I have not found a solution, but narrowed down a possible cause. Since upgrading to iOS11, I find that the keyboard on my 9.7” Pro will stop working if you make changes to the WiFi connection while the keyboard is connected. If you “ForgetThis Network” or Connect to a new WiFi, or turn WiFi off, the keyboard stops working. The only resolution is to restart the iPad. Annoying.

Oct 9, 2017 6:05 PM in response to GIS Geek

I have found wifi connection to be a problem too, although I don’t understand why, with a hard connection to the ipad. Mine stops working when I am on a public network like the library or airport. Apple just told me it is because of an unstable or weak wifi connection, no solution offered. Restarting in those circumstances only helps for a short while...

Oct 12, 2017 6:22 AM in response to chris_g1

It is iOS 11, not a physical problem. Rebooting the iPad brings the keyboard back online, but I am getting sick of having to reboot my iPad every time I want to use my keyboard or use cellular data. Since I have to reboot for both of these scenarios, I find myself needing to reboot it every time I use it.

The keyboard issue started with iOS 11.0.0, same in 11.0.1. Went away in 11.0.2, and came back with 11.0.3.

You have software issues, we do not have hardware issues.

Oct 13, 2017 2:41 PM in response to francis efromwakefield

Finally figured it out. I have been having intermittent Smart Keyboard connection issues with my iPad pro10.5 and the problem started after upgrading to iOS 11. First to describe the problem, the keyboard is always recognized since the electronic keyboard does not pop up on the iPad screen yet when you try to type nothing happens.

Apple has changed my keyboard twice and my iPad once and the problem has not gone away

The good news is I have finally figured out when the problem actually arises. In my case everytime I connect to Starbucks WiFi where you get a splash screen that is what is causing the problems with the keyboard. So for the last two days I have been testing this out. If I walk in to Starbucks with the airplane mode turned on (WiFi and Bluetooth turned off) all is fine. I then turn off the airplane mode and connect to WiFi which throws up the splash screen where you have to accept there terms and get a connection. Then the keyboard becomes non respondent. If I turn the airplane mode back on which disconnects me from the WiFi and turn it back on again which allows me to connect back to the Starbucks wifi without the splash screen all is fine And everything works. I have tested this theory at two different Starbucks four time alrady and every time the same result as explained above. Obviously I was rebooting my iPad before which essentially was doing the same and restoring my connectivity. Hope this helps...

Jan 9, 2018 6:41 AM in response to francis efromwakefield

The issue I am experiencing is the Delete button will stop working in iOS Mail application. I have to do the following steps almost daily to get it to work again.

1. Shut off Zagg Slimbook Keyboard.
  2. Open Bluetooth Settings in iOS, find Zagg Keyboard and "Forget This Device"
  3. Hold down the power button and home button to get the iPad to reboot.
  4. Open Bluetooth Settings in iOS
  5. Turn Keyboard on and hold down the Bluetooth Paring Button (1)
  6. Wait for the device to show up in iOS, then pair the keyboard.

After re-pairing using the SIX steps above, I can now delete my mail.... until tomorrow. C'mon Apple, please fix this. This is my third venue asking for a fix.

Thanks.

Oct 3, 2017 7:20 AM in response to icandoit.dk

This all started with iOS 11 for me on my 9.7" iPad Pro. I'm having to restart it every day to get the keyboard to work. The keyboard is being detected as it doesn't throw up the on-screen keyboard when I want to type. It's just that the keys don't work until I restart the iPad in place (i.e. not changing anything physically on the keyboard and iPad).

Smart Keyboard not working since ios11.

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.