Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Stocks App view format - iOS 11

How can I set the viewing format of the Stocks App from vertical back to Horizontal?

The Stocks app viewing format in iOS 11 seems to have a bug. The view used to be horizontal before updating to iOS 11.

Before... Symbol Price Change

After update...

Symbol

Price

Change

Posted on Sep 21, 2017 5:46 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Oct 21, 2017 7:05 AM

I did some more testing. It appears that the stock symbol length isn't being accounted for correctly. I noticed that the NASDAQ and S&P 500 symbols display at a slightly small font size than everything else when my list is one line per company.

My own list displays correctly even when using a text size setting one notch below the largest.

User uploaded file

If I add a long symbol such as BTCUSD=X to my stock list, at first the symbol's font is small to fit the space.

User uploaded file

However, after closing and restarting the Stocks app, the font size for BTCUSD=X is no longer smaller and I get the line wrap problem.

User uploaded file

Hope this info helps the developer.

51 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Oct 21, 2017 7:05 AM in response to znark

I did some more testing. It appears that the stock symbol length isn't being accounted for correctly. I noticed that the NASDAQ and S&P 500 symbols display at a slightly small font size than everything else when my list is one line per company.

My own list displays correctly even when using a text size setting one notch below the largest.

User uploaded file

If I add a long symbol such as BTCUSD=X to my stock list, at first the symbol's font is small to fit the space.

User uploaded file

However, after closing and restarting the Stocks app, the font size for BTCUSD=X is no longer smaller and I get the line wrap problem.

User uploaded file

Hope this info helps the developer.

Sep 23, 2017 8:45 AM in response to Eric Scheuermann

It looks ridiculous. I can look at 2 stock prices at the same time now, as opposed to 8 or 10. And there's tons of black space on the right side of the screen.

Hopefully it's a bug that gets patched, otherwise I guess I'll look for another stock screener. Of course, that probably won't work on the widget screen.

Sigh. Pretty sloppy, Apple. Apple users didn't used to have to worry about stuff like this. Are you microsoft now?

Sep 23, 2017 9:21 AM in response to NoSound6

So it seems to be related to font size. As an old man, I need bigger fonts to read the phone without my glasses. But on the largest two font sizes (before you get to the toggled "Bigger Fonts" selections, it does that to the stock screener program.

So I guess Apple has given us a choice, use font sizes that are comfortable for some us to read OR use the stock app. But not both.

Sep 25, 2017 4:06 PM in response to g2013

This is not a workable solution.

I need to adjust the global text size up some, because I have trouble reading the small font in the body of email.

So I can set the global setting small, which makes the stock app work, or I can set it a little larger than standard, which makes email readable, but makes the stock app go completely funky.

Perhaps Apple should put some more thought into how this should work. When a person needs a little bit bigger type, its the SMALL FONTS that need to be increased, not the giant ones used in the stock app. Either they need the adjustment to be not the same delta for every font size, or else they need to put font size adjustments into each app.

Before Ios11, I could adjust the font size up a bit, and the stock app wasn't harmfully affected.

Oct 3, 2017 2:52 PM in response to g2013

I have about 18 stocks being tracked and I have to set the auto text size to a quarter of the scale to fit all my holdings into the app. Just one notch further up the scale and I see only 3 of my stocks in big numbers and letters. Clearly a bug in the auto text size feature that needs to be looked at. I believe the app is from Yahoo and I’ve emailed them and left feedback through the App Store. Not sure with whom the problem lies.

Oct 9, 2017 2:57 PM in response to Eric Scheuermann

This has happened to me as well.

No other apps are suffering so that leads me to believe it's a specific UI/UX issue with Stocks.

I've restarted the phone but the problem was still there.

For the record, I have large text settings on my phone as it's my personal preference. I use the Stocks app everyday but I can't use it like this.

Is there a way to call an Apple customer rep into the convo to shed some light on it?

Otherwise, I'll have to start using Yahoo Finance as well.

Thanks!

Oct 17, 2017 8:36 AM in response to Philly_Phan

Hey Philly_phan take the hint and stop replying.

a) you are worse than not helpful, you are annoying

b) there are over 50 people who hit the "i have this problem too" button

c) while user manuals are a necessary production for software companies, 99 users out of 100 search on google for the answers to their problem which guess what leads them here.

so stop being unhelpful

Oct 21, 2017 4:59 AM in response to g2013

I don't think it has anything to do with font size. The same size font worked fine in IOS 10, but now in IOS 11 it doesn't. There's enough screen space that if the font size were the problem, the display would look like:

Company Price

Change

If one edits their stock list, all the companies are listed on a single line. How would that be possible if the font size were the problem?

I think instead, the developer messed with the CSS styles used by the program. It should be an easy fix. The hard part is getting someone at Apple to address it.

I also remember this same problem when IOS 10 first came out. It was fixed shortly thereafter.

Oct 30, 2017 11:21 AM in response to Bryan1959

The data is from Yahoo. The app is from Apple.

It's the same thing for the Weather app. Apple uses data from 3rd parties for these apps, and show that. In the case of the Weather app they have switched out the provider in the past. It is currently The Weather Channel, but has been Yahoo previously.

Bryan1959 wrote:

I believe the app is from Yahoo...

Stocks App view format - iOS 11

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.