Want to highlight a helpful answer? Upvote!

Did someone help you, or did an answer or User Tip resolve your issue? Upvote by selecting the upvote arrow. Your feedback helps others! Learn more about when to upvote >

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Apple Watch keeps rebooting

So, about 2 weeks ago, my Apple Watch was low on battery. I hooked it up to charge. I noticed that it kept rebooting. Next day I put it on and the battery ran out in less than 2 hours. Did some digging and reset it to factory settings. No problems until today. It ran out of battery and as it’s charging it’s rebooting itself. Once fully charged I put it on. Now, it’s rebooting itself without being on the charger. I really don’t want to have to set it back to factory settings again. Any help?

Posted on Sep 21, 2017 2:59 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Oct 19, 2017 4:06 AM

My watch has been doing the exact same thing. I have sent it in to apple 4 times, and 4 times they have sent it back saying can’t replicate the issue. My watch constantly does this, which means I am now beat for a $800 paper weight.

55 replies

Sep 22, 2017 3:04 AM in response to Jexlar

Hi

Whilst I can't say why your Apple Watch is restarting unexpectedly, the following steps may help to prevent the issue from recurring:

Restart both your iPhone and your Apple Watch, turning both off together, then restarting your iPhone first:

Test by removing apps:

Unpair and re-pair your Apple Watch:

If the issue then still persists, I suggest that you contact Apple Support (mail-in service may be available, if required), make a Genius Bar reservation or visit an Apple Authorised Service Provider with a view to having it checked and, if recommended, serviced:

Apple Watch Service Answer Center - Apple Support

Feb 5, 2018 5:27 AM in response to Jexlar

Here is what I did last week Wednesday evening that so far has been helpful.

1. On the iPhone app Watch - Notifications: Disable the Notifications Indicator and under MIRROR IPHONE ALERTS FROM:, change all notification sliders to the left (Off). (Did not change any of the factory apps, left them at Default after a recent pair as a New Watch attempt.)
  2. Restart both the iPhone, and then the watch. I had read about others thinking that this was related to Notifications and some mentioned Instagram (which I had also removed before starting any of this without any changes). I observed this for a couple of hours while working and at this point it was rebooting every view minutes or so while connected to the charger. I removed it from the charger and it still continued to reboot many time. It was time to try one more time as I had an appointment at the Apple Store to drop it off and ship it to be looked at.
  3. On the iPhone app Watch, select the watch to be unpaired from the iPhone and un-pair from the iPhone. Wait for it to un-pair before continuing.
  4. On the watch it will be prompting to place near a phone to be paired, forced a local reset on the Watch by pressing the Side Button and acknowledging to reset all. (Do not remember the exact wording or clicks, it does not allow anything else to be done though since it is not paired to a iPhone.)
  5. Once the watch is ready to pair again, placed it next to the iPhone and then paired it again. I followed the normal pairing of the watch and restored the recent backup (right before I started the process) to restore all the settings. (I was a little hesitant, although I figured I did not have anything to lose.)
  6. After it has finished pairing and was running, the battery was at about 82%, it had been rebooting several times before I started this process and was done at about 9:30-10:00pm.

After this process, I wore it to bed and when I got up it was still at about 60% or more. I wore it until about noon I decided to charge it while at 31%. It was fully charged in about an hour and I put it back on. It did not reboot once all day, and worked normally with minimal battery drain. The next morning the battery was at about 30% when I charged it at about 8:30am.

It has been like this since Thursday morning with not one reboot and also has not been draining. On Saturday night, I re-enabled the Notifications Indicator, I am planning to start enabling notifications to see if anything causes a problem. Yesterday I did not get to place it on a full charge before leaving in at 6:15am, it was at about 90% and it was a very active day. At about 11:00pm last night is was at 17%, placed it on the charger for about 30 minutes or so, it was at about 91% when I took it off to wear it to bed. Got up at 6am and it is still at 80% at 8:30am. Not one issue since doing all of this.

I plan to start enabling the notifications that I might use and leave the others off. I also have not reinstalled Instagram yet. I might do that first to see what it does.

I hope that someone else might try this (I know it takes time, although if it works or helps Apple to find a root cause it is worth it) and see a similar result. I have been dealing with this since updating the middle of December to WatchOS 4.2. I am 100% sure that it is some software thing (I work in software and root cause analysis all the time), although it not widespread, it has to be some certain combination or scenario that causes it to happen.

Jan 10, 2018 7:04 PM in response to Jexlar

I had the same issue after 4.2. Hubby was help via support who did some diagnostics and said it was a few apps, but mostly Instagram. He said to uninstall Instagram and see if it stops. I did, and it did. I put Instagram back on the next day and it started again. I kept it on my phone but unloaded it from my watch...still rebooting. So I did a little reading and read somewhere that many others were having issues too and the cause was notifications. They were turning off watch notifications and it stopped. Sure enough, I turned off all notifications and no reboots in days.

Jan 11, 2018 4:03 AM in response to newfiechic

newfiechic wrote:

.. I just don't see how Apple is missing this. They are getting tons of complaints.

If you believe that you have identified a software issue, then be sure to let Apple know, either by:

Contacting Apple Support:

Or by making a Genius Bar reservation:

Or by sending feedback:

Dec 12, 2017 3:54 PM in response to Jexlar

I was having the same issue with my series 3 watch. I tracked it down using the Apple Watch logs to the Tile app, which I removed then restarted. So far, so good! The logs can be found on your iPhone -> Settings -> Privacy -> Analytics -> Analytics Data -> and look for "WatchApp Extension." You might then discover which app is misbehaving and causing the rebooting.

Jan 1, 2018 8:35 AM in response to stephanfromcharlotte

I have a series 1 watch that worked great until the last os update. Then the rebooting started. I have AppleCare so Apple sent me a new watch - A series 2 this time. Worked fine. When I went to change the watch face to a new design it said I needed to update the os which I did. That’s where the issue starts. Called AppleCare again and they sent another watch. Same deal. As soon as I do the newest update the issue starts. I can’t figure out which app is causing the issue. I deleted all installed apps and still have the problem.

Jan 2, 2018 11:28 PM in response to Renoman007

I HAVE same issue I have Apple Watch series 1 and I got this problem after last update 4.2 I change my watch and by new one Apple Watch series 2 and the watch ask for update and I got same problem I hate both watches and I think apple is not same before and care about the service and the customer

I really go to apple support 2 time and I don't get any solution only pay money to change or wait next update

Jan 4, 2018 6:07 PM in response to Jexlar

My OG Apple Watch was doing this recently, every single time I attempt to change a complication it crashes within a couple seconds. It had been getting slow and I felt it was time for an upgrade... I'm sorry to say my new Series 3 watch does the exact same thing 😠

The fix is uninstalling all Apple Watch apps, it was for me at least. Very dissapointing.

Jan 11, 2018 3:42 AM in response to stephanfromcharlotte

Exactly. I can see it being a temporary fix until a fix comes out for it though. Having no notifications beats having to install apps that I use frequently. I could probably enable all notification except Instagram, but until I know for sure I am keeping them all off.

The weird thing is is that after I turned off all notifications, I had another boot or two, and I was thinking the fix wasn't working...but a few others had this two and it didn't reboot again after.

I just don't see how Apple is missing this. They are getting tons of complaints.

Jan 11, 2018 9:40 AM in response to newfiechic

I have same issue as everyone on this thread, constant restarting, not wanting to charge as it constantly restarts, sluggish performance at times (usually right before it crashes) and everything started with most recent soft update.

"Geniuses" are not aware of that being a big issue, i went to apple store to fix this issue, and after doing all sorts of tests only abnormality was MAPS app causing some issues, since i have done watch restore beforehand, next step tech suggested it might be hardware issue, and wanted to send my watch to service, $229 to get that fixed (that is some joke). I decided not to send but wait for next soft update. In the meantime i did another reset, but this time i didn't restore my watch from back up, but set it up as brand new watch - that did the trick! several days no restarts.... Well, after few days issue came back, but now i'm definitely convinced its a software issue, not hardware. Here is the fun part, i dont run any apps on my watch, so it must be something within the most recent update which keeps the watch working hard, draining battery, and restarting constantly.

Apple Watch keeps rebooting

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.