Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

IOS 11 incompatible with Honda handsfree bluetooth

Ever since upgrading to IOS 11, my iPhone 6 plus won’t connect with the handsfree bluetooth function in my 2015 Honda CRV. I’ve tried disconnecting, rebooting, etc. Has anyone else experienced a problem with their bluetooth linking in cars?

iPhone 6 Plus, iOS 11

Posted on Sep 22, 2017 5:10 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Sep 28, 2017 5:38 AM

It is working properly for me with a 6s+.

Have you tried deleting the phone from the list of phones on the car, resetting all settings on the iPhone and then adding the phone back to the list of phones on the car and pairing one more time?

123 replies

Sep 24, 2017 5:21 AM in response to firefox23508

Hi firefox23508,

Thanks for using the Apple Support Communities. If you are having issues with the Bluetooth connection between your car and your iPhone after a recent update, you may find the information and troubleshooting steps outlined in the following article helpful:

Get help connecting your iPhone, iPad, or iPod touch with your car stereo - Apple Support

Regards.

Jan 8, 2018 9:16 PM in response to firefox23508

I was having this problem with iOS 11 on iPhone 8 with my 2012 Accord EXL.

Some combination of these things fixed bluetooth calling for me (not sure what, but these were all the variables in between working and not working):

• Update to iOS 11.2.2
  • Restarting iPhone at least once
  • Restarting car at least once
  • Deleting all of HandsFreeLink's existing paired phones
  • Re-pairing my iPhone after deleting all existing

I still can't get any other audio besides a phone call to stream over bluetooth; not sure if that's expected to work at all.

Strangely, while in the middle of a phone call that is outputting through the car stereo over HandsFreeLink Bluetooth, I CAN stream other audio; but then that ends as soon as the call ends...

Sep 28, 2017 6:18 AM in response to firefox23508

Same / similar issues here with two different Mini Coopers. Had these problems consistently with beta releases as well.

@madra31: We've deleted the connection from both cars and forgot these connections on both phones, reset the network of both phones and reconnected afterword. It works great for a while but it inevitably dies again. I'm pretty sure it's just a software thing but it really needs to be fixed.

Funny note: My 1st gen Apple Watch works perfectly with Watch OS4, so I've transferred my playlists to my watch and connected it to my car to get around the problem until Apple fixes the issue. The watch is slow to cue the first track and may not provide track data or album covers, but it works, so...

Sep 28, 2017 6:40 AM in response to madra31

Oh yes. I've run the gamut of Apple Support and Honda Support suggestions multiple times. The longest it's held the connection has been 10 minutes. The other evening, though, over the course of a seven-mile drive, it paired and almost immediately disconnected more than 2-1/2 times. And yes, I was anal enough to be counting. It's driving me nuts!

Sep 28, 2017 12:04 PM in response to Logan Anderson

Have you tried the 11.0.1 update?
I wasn't expecting it to have an impact as it's a security update, but I jumped in my car, blew everything out and tried it and... (drum roll)... IT WORKED! I drove, stopped, and drove again and I didn't lose my connection at all.

Note: I did completely remove the phone from the car and forget the connection on the phone. I did not reset network setting or anything. Another cool addition I noticed: Once everything was connected and working I also gained the ability to control music not just from my iPhone or Head Unit but also from my Apple Watch though it wasn't connected to the car any longer.

I REALY hope this update fixes this for you guys.

The problem is infuriating!

Oct 11, 2017 6:26 AM in response to firefox23508

Yes - also having this problem; for me it's with my 2016 Honda CR-V. Since I upgraded to the latest iOS update, the car keeps yelling at me, "HFT is OK," and, "HFT is NG." Zero issues prior to the upgrade. It has been freezing my car entertainment system. I'm a little worried that such freezes could have effects across other car systems, although I have not noticed anything else yet.

Interestingly, this issue appears to primarily affect phone calls. Music via Bluetooth seems to still work.

Oct 17, 2017 2:54 PM in response to Nerfherder

I have a Mini Cooper Countyman and you've been luckier than me. I have an iPhone 8+ running iOS 11 and while my phone detects the car it resolutely refuses to connect. I've spoken to Mini UK, BMW and Apple support and none has been able to resolve the issue. I'm told it may be because Apple are using Bluetooth 5 In iOS 11. Apple have talked me through trying to connect then said they've had no other reports of problems so it must be my car maker's problem. But I can see from this forum I'm not the only one with issues. very disappointed at the lack of interest from Apple

Oct 24, 2017 7:14 PM in response to firefox23508

Update: Honda had to replace the entire radio system and HFT (buttons on the steering wheel) for the cost of approximately $1,600 - fortunately for me covered by the warranty - and they still have no idea what the problem was. They have never seen the issue before. According to them, the voice saying, "HFT is Okay" or "HFT is NG" should only be heard by techs installing a new radio (it's used during the debug process while the error detection laptop is hooked up to the car), and they could not figure out why it was randomly saying those prompts while I was driving around. Been about 5 days of driving since I got the car back, the problem has not come back.

Nov 8, 2017 1:09 PM in response to firefox23508

Hello firefox23508. I have a 2006 Lexus RX400h that worked just fine until I updated to IOS 11 on my iPhone SE. I am on IOS 11.0.3. My problem is that the Bluetooth Handsfree in the car connects only part of the time. When I make a call, the display on the phone shows the BT Handsfree as an audio choice and then it just goes away. When I select the iPhone for audio, the BT Handsfree connects after about 10 seconds. Also I often have no audio at all from any of the choices and I have to hang up and call the person back.

Aggravating.... I use this phone for business and it has become unusable in the car.

I called Apple support and the tech said that I need a newer car...

Nov 9, 2017 5:58 PM in response to firefox23508

I have a 2015 Honda CRV.

I've had both the iPhone 6s and 7s. And once paired with the Handsfree Link,the Bluetooth always worked.

Until last Friday,when I got the iPhone X.

Like most people here,my phone paired,but not for long. The Bluetooth connection was constantly connecting and disconnecting.

I refreshed the Honda head unit. I've toggled the Airplane mode, I've toggled the " forget this device". I have paid with the number code.

Still doesn't work.

I called Hondas technical support and they are aware of the issues. They claim it's a IOS 11 issue that A is also aware of. This person mentioned that other car brands are having this same problem too.

I called Apple tonight and they too are aware of the issue. A case was opened for my call. Apparently the Bluetooth device used in the X is different than the other iPhones. So Apple is working with Honda. But they don't know if this is a software issue with IOS 11, the iPhone X,Honda,or a combination of all the above. My gut feeling is this is a software issue with 11. I was hoping that today's IOS software update might've corrected this issue. It hasn't.

Have to hope 11.2 will be better. Kinda crazy to spend $1k on a phone where the Bluetooth doesn't work.

IOS 11 incompatible with Honda handsfree bluetooth

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.