Announcement: Announcing the newest addition to Apple Support Communities, Apple Arcade!

If you have a question or knowledge to share with the community, we want to hear from you.

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Question:

Question: Photos app on iPhone not syncing in iOS 11

I upgraded my iPhone7, iPad AIr and iPad Pro to iOS 11.

The iPad Air had stopped syncing Photos properly, reboots did not correct it, turning off ICloud Photo Library and Upload to My PhotoStream, rebooting and then turning them back on did not work. I finally logged out of my iCloud account and back in, and it seems to be resolved on that device a few days back.

But now the iPhone 7 is doing the same thing. I repeated these steps of turning off ICloud Photo Library and Upload to My PhotoStream, rebooting and then turning them back on, and I did get the Photo to sync partially, but it stopped at 38,880 (photos and videos), whereas the Mac on Sierra, and the two iPads all show 57.755 (photos and videos).

I've made sure that I'm on wifi (I did have it set to allow cellular too).

With the Photos app open and the phone on the charger, I can see periodically that something is working briefly (the swirl next to the wifi signal) but the photos count is stagnant at 38,880.

I've also tried resetting the Network Settings.

I guess my next step is to log out of my iCloud account on the iPhone entirely, reboot and log in again.

Anyone else with this issue find another less painful fix?

iPhone 7, iOS 11, null

Posted on

Question marked as Helpful

Oct 5, 2017 2:13 AM in response to dagaus190 In response to dagaus190

A supplement to my earlier post dated 1 October; this one covering IOS 11.0.2. The IOS 11 bug is still there, IOS 11.0.2 is not synchronising pictures between Photos on an iMac (running MacOS 10.12.6) and IOS devices running IOS 11.0.2 (two in use - iPhone 6S and iPad Air2). iCloud photo sync is not in use; this is a cable connection, so both devices are getting power from the iMac. iTunes is running on 12.7.0.

The devices can export into Photos, but cannot synchronise/receive images back. The devices receive some (but not all) of the “selected for sync” photo folders, but all are empty. Existing photos on the devices - from pre-IOS 11 installation - remain in place.

A further test sync using an IOS device running IOS 10.3.3 synchronises folders and photos without a problem. Over to you Apple.

Oct 5, 2017 3:10 AM in response to dlaynmore In response to dlaynmore

I have the same problem with an almost identical setup (MacBook Pro, iPad 3, and iPhone 6s, iTunes, all fully updated) when I try to sync my Pictures folder directly to the iPad using iTunes. As with your experience using Photos, some but not all of the selected Pictures folders actually sync to the devices using iTunes sync, even after wiping them completely and starting over. I tried doing a few folders at a time, and each time some but not all folders would sync. This is hardly practical when syncing hundreds of folders and thousands of images. It would be very helpful if Apple would comment on this matter.

Oct 1, 2017 2:54 AM in response to dagaus190 In response to dagaus190

An IOS 11 bug. IOS 11.0.1 isn’t synchronising pictures between Photos on an iMac (running MacOS 10.12.6) and IOS devices running IOS 11.0.1 (two in use - iPhone 6S and iPad Air2). iCloud photo sync is not in use, this is cable connection. iTunes is running on 12.7.0.

The devices receive some (but not all) of the “selected for sync” photo folders but all are without photos. No photos are moving to the IOS 11 devices. Existing photos on the devices - from pre-IOS 11 installation - remain in place, and photos do move in the other direction; exporting from IOS to iTunes/Photos.

A test sync using an IOS device running IOS 10.3.3 synchronises folders and photos without a problem.

There’s more to the conversation

Read all replies

Sep 28, 2017 1:43 PM in response to dagaus190 In response to dagaus190

Ironically it’s opposite for me. I did a restore to factory and restored from an iCloud backup (for reasons not related the the photos app problem) and now the Photos App won’t draw down the pics and videos in the App. It just shows the preview pic. So everytime I want to see a pic or vid I have to wait for it to DL. I have it set to down load full version of pics/vids. Not optimise.

Sep 28, 2017 1:43 PM

Reply Helpful (2)

Sep 28, 2017 10:36 PM in response to dagaus190 In response to dagaus190

I am also facing the same problem. As far as I can contemplate, this is a iOS 11 bug. Unfortunately, it was not resolved in iOS 11.0.1 upgrade too; although I was quite optimistic about it.

It is perhaps worthwhile mention here that I have even contacted the Apple support regarding the issue. Although, they did act like to understand the issue well, but denied to agree that it was a iOS 11 glitch. Surprisingly, according to the Apple support, it was rather a iOS 11 new feature. And; I am really really startled when they try to camouflage a Bug with sophisticated words like 'new feature,' !!!

Needless to say that I clarified them that the issue exists even when my iPhone is fully charged & connected to a proper Wifi network.

Sep 28, 2017 10:36 PM

Reply Helpful (2)

Sep 29, 2017 5:21 AM in response to dagaus190 In response to dagaus190

I too suspect an iOS11 issue, as i had it earlier on one of two iPads. Logging out of iCloud and back in fixed that on that device. It would not work on the iPhone7, because it seemed to be stuck in some sort of "restore" mode, which made no sense to me. I also tried resetting the Network Settings also. So far the wipe and restore has worked and all three devices are syncing photos in the Photos app via iCloud with no other issues.

Sep 29, 2017 5:21 AM

Reply Helpful

Oct 1, 2017 2:54 AM in response to dagaus190 In response to dagaus190

An IOS 11 bug. IOS 11.0.1 isn’t synchronising pictures between Photos on an iMac (running MacOS 10.12.6) and IOS devices running IOS 11.0.1 (two in use - iPhone 6S and iPad Air2). iCloud photo sync is not in use, this is cable connection. iTunes is running on 12.7.0.

The devices receive some (but not all) of the “selected for sync” photo folders but all are without photos. No photos are moving to the IOS 11 devices. Existing photos on the devices - from pre-IOS 11 installation - remain in place, and photos do move in the other direction; exporting from IOS to iTunes/Photos.

A test sync using an IOS device running IOS 10.3.3 synchronises folders and photos without a problem.

Oct 1, 2017 2:54 AM

Reply Helpful (5)

Oct 1, 2017 8:22 AM in response to dagaus190 In response to dagaus190

When I tried to sync my pics last night, I saw iTunes copy the correct number of pics. However, this morning I found NO synced albums on the phone. When I used the "Photos" view rather than the album view, the photos were there. When I searched for the album by name, it found it. It appears that the sync was successful, the pictures are there, you just can't see the Albums?

Oct 1, 2017 8:22 AM

Reply Helpful

Oct 3, 2017 12:47 AM in response to dagaus190 In response to dagaus190

Hi everyone. I am also having this issue. iOS 11.0.1, macOS 10.12.6.

iTunes is not uploading the photos from folders on my MacBook Pro to my iPhone 6+. The folder is there on the iPhone, with the correct folder name, but it is empty and contains no photos.

Looking forward to Apple resolving this issue. Thanks!

Oct 3, 2017 12:47 AM

Reply Helpful

Oct 3, 2017 6:26 PM in response to dagaus190 In response to dagaus190

I have a similar issue, my ipad doesn’t sync any picture on my iCloud library except when I plug it to the charger. It started happening after I downloaded iOS 11. When I plug it everything is syncing right away but otherwise it will never work. I tried absolutely everything rebooting with iCloud backup, rebooting as a new ipad with factory settings, sign out iCloud and in again, desactivate photo library and reactivate, my iPad is always 100% charged and on the same WiFi as my other devices. I called apple and so far no one is able to fix my issue or understand why this is going on 😟. So for now if I want my picture syncing I will have to have my iPad plugged in.

Oct 3, 2017 6:26 PM

Reply Helpful

Oct 3, 2017 6:42 PM in response to alexissouquet In response to alexissouquet

Looks like the fix is in:

"Apple has just released iOS 11.0.2 for iPhone, iPad and iPod touch devices. This marks the second bug fix update since iOS 11 launched in September. The build number is 15A421.

It looks to be another round of bug fixes and performance improvements, including a fix for crackly audio during phone calls on iPhone 8, a bug that caused some photos not to show up in user’s libraries and resolves an issue relating to attachments in encrypted email …"

https://9to5mac.com/2017/10/03/apple-releases-ios-11-0-2-for-iphone-ipad-and-ipo d-touch/#more-502555

Oct 3, 2017 6:42 PM

Reply Helpful

Oct 3, 2017 9:27 PM in response to dagaus190 In response to dagaus190

Unfortunately, "the fix" did not work. Photos from a folder on my MacBook Pro, still did not sync to my iPhone. The folder is created, but it is empty.

At the bottom of the Photos app, it says "Restoring" for about 40 seconds, it clears, and still nothing. Back to the drawing board.

Oct 3, 2017 9:27 PM

Reply Helpful

Oct 3, 2017 10:32 PM in response to Josue.Alvarez In response to Josue.Alvarez

Same here, unfortnately. Now on 11.0.2 since yesterday - iPad Air 2 startet „uploading photos“, e.g. syncing with photo library, but now stuck with >2000 photos remaining. The newest ones (about the last 2 week) didn‘t ever pop up there, however they are on my iPhone and in the cloud.

Will do a full wipe in the evening and see if the issue persists when starting from scratch on the iPad. Pretty frustrating.

Oct 3, 2017 10:32 PM

Reply Helpful

Oct 4, 2017 4:36 AM in response to RenardPale In response to RenardPale

I have upgraded to 11.0.2 on my iPad 3 and also done a full wipe and now am faced with rebuilding the device. Nevertheless, I am no longer able to transfer my photo collection from my MacBook Pro directly to the iPad through the iTunes sync function. I have over 15,000 images, and use the iPad primarily for photo display. I get the following error message: "The iPad "____'s iPad" cannot be synced. An internal device error has occurred."

I hve been able to transfer about 7800 of 15000 images (all jpeg; not trying to transfer RAW files at this time), and there does not seem to be any consistent reason for one folder to sync rather than another.

Renders this iPad useless except for email and viewing iTunes content.

Oct 4, 2017 4:36 AM

Reply Helpful (1)
User profile for user: dagaus190

Question: Photos app on iPhone not syncing in iOS 11