Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Photos app on iPhone not syncing in iOS 11

I upgraded my iPhone7, iPad AIr and iPad Pro to iOS 11.

The iPad Air had stopped syncing Photos properly, reboots did not correct it, turning off ICloud Photo Library and Upload to My PhotoStream, rebooting and then turning them back on did not work. I finally logged out of my iCloud account and back in, and it seems to be resolved on that device a few days back.

But now the iPhone 7 is doing the same thing. I repeated these steps of turning off ICloud Photo Library and Upload to My PhotoStream, rebooting and then turning them back on, and I did get the Photo to sync partially, but it stopped at 38,880 (photos and videos), whereas the Mac on Sierra, and the two iPads all show 57.755 (photos and videos).

I've made sure that I'm on wifi (I did have it set to allow cellular too).

With the Photos app open and the phone on the charger, I can see periodically that something is working briefly (the swirl next to the wifi signal) but the photos count is stagnant at 38,880.

I've also tried resetting the Network Settings.

I guess my next step is to log out of my iCloud account on the iPhone entirely, reboot and log in again.

Anyone else with this issue find another less painful fix?

iPhone 7, iOS 11, null

Posted on Sep 22, 2017 5:47 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Oct 1, 2017 2:54 AM

An IOS 11 bug. IOS 11.0.1 isn’t synchronising pictures between Photos on an iMac (running MacOS 10.12.6) and IOS devices running IOS 11.0.1 (two in use - iPhone 6S and iPad Air2). iCloud photo sync is not in use, this is cable connection. iTunes is running on 12.7.0.

The devices receive some (but not all) of the “selected for sync” photo folders but all are without photos. No photos are moving to the IOS 11 devices. Existing photos on the devices - from pre-IOS 11 installation - remain in place, and photos do move in the other direction; exporting from IOS to iTunes/Photos.

A test sync using an IOS device running IOS 10.3.3 synchronises folders and photos without a problem.

774 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Oct 1, 2017 2:54 AM in response to dagaus190

An IOS 11 bug. IOS 11.0.1 isn’t synchronising pictures between Photos on an iMac (running MacOS 10.12.6) and IOS devices running IOS 11.0.1 (two in use - iPhone 6S and iPad Air2). iCloud photo sync is not in use, this is cable connection. iTunes is running on 12.7.0.

The devices receive some (but not all) of the “selected for sync” photo folders but all are without photos. No photos are moving to the IOS 11 devices. Existing photos on the devices - from pre-IOS 11 installation - remain in place, and photos do move in the other direction; exporting from IOS to iTunes/Photos.

A test sync using an IOS device running IOS 10.3.3 synchronises folders and photos without a problem.

Oct 5, 2017 2:13 AM in response to dagaus190

A supplement to my earlier post dated 1 October; this one covering IOS 11.0.2. The IOS 11 bug is still there, IOS 11.0.2 is not synchronising pictures between Photos on an iMac (running MacOS 10.12.6) and IOS devices running IOS 11.0.2 (two in use - iPhone 6S and iPad Air2). iCloud photo sync is not in use; this is a cable connection, so both devices are getting power from the iMac. iTunes is running on 12.7.0.

The devices can export into Photos, but cannot synchronise/receive images back. The devices receive some (but not all) of the “selected for sync” photo folders, but all are empty. Existing photos on the devices - from pre-IOS 11 installation - remain in place.

A further test sync using an IOS device running IOS 10.3.3 synchronises folders and photos without a problem. Over to you Apple.

Oct 5, 2017 3:10 AM in response to dlaynmore

I have the same problem with an almost identical setup (MacBook Pro, iPad 3, and iPhone 6s, iTunes, all fully updated) when I try to sync my Pictures folder directly to the iPad using iTunes. As with your experience using Photos, some but not all of the selected Pictures folders actually sync to the devices using iTunes sync, even after wiping them completely and starting over. I tried doing a few folders at a time, and each time some but not all folders would sync. This is hardly practical when syncing hundreds of folders and thousands of images. It would be very helpful if Apple would comment on this matter.

Nov 1, 2017 11:51 AM in response to dagaus190

I see that this thread has been going on for some time and I am reticent to offer such a simple solution, but it worked for me.

You mentioned turning off both “iCloud Photo Library” and “Upload to my Photo Stream”. I assume that means that you previously had both settings on. So did I. When I switched off “Upload to my Photo Stream” on all my devices, this problem was resolved within a day (it takes time for all of the missing photos to upload or download, so the problem is not fixed immediately).

It appears, from my research, that there is no need to have both settings on. If you have iCloud Photo Library, you don‘t need “upload to my Photostream”. The iCloud Photo Library, if activated on all devices logged into the same iCloud account, already uploads all. The photostream is a short term syncing solution for those who do not want to pay for the storage for iCloud Photo Library.

So, once I turned Photo Stream off, and iCloud Photo Library on, on all my devices. It fixed the problem for me.

I said I was reticent to post, because I am not sure this will work for all, and because it seems silly that, if that is the problem, Apple would not warn people or, even better, make it impossible not to select both options at the same time.

So, for what it is worth, here are my current iPad Pro settings for Photos:

User uploaded file

Nov 15, 2017 12:49 AM in response to dagaus190

Others may have arrived at the same conclusion but here's my experience for what its worth.

I am using an iPhone 7 with IOS 11.1.1 to sync with a MacBook Pro using iTunes 12.7.1.14 on Mac OS High Sierra 10.13.1.

When I tried to sync this morning, first by Wifi and then cable, I got the following message.User uploaded file

There are many 'solutions' posted like deleting the Photos app apple/iPod TV photo caches but in my config the caches appeared in a different places and made no difference to the message.

I found a temporary fix, of sorts. In iTunes I deselected Sync Photos on the iPhone's iTunes page. ReSync (I used cable for speed). I then turned of all the phone's photos connection with iCloud. I was then able to sync my photos again via iTunes where I use selected Pictures Folders.

To 'backup' and share my iPhone's camera roll I synced my phone with the Photos app. I've not explored wifi for this function but it certainly works with a cable.

Jan 23, 2018 10:44 PM in response to Andreahackney

Hey guys! a new iOS update is out. but it doesnt seem that the SYNC issue was addressed in the fixes and improvements.

although apple says its an iTunes problem, I always had a feeling it was an iOS issue!
I will check the sync with the new iOS version and let you know.
If not, then the only thing left is to wait for the iTunes update.

This has been going on for a ridiculously long time, and the frustration is through the roof!

User uploaded file

Apr 8, 2018 4:53 AM in response to dagaus190

I have been having issues wth this for months but was finally able to sync all my photos (35000) and complete a full backup @ 30Gb. This morning the iPad Pro 256Gb froze at the Apple Logo so i had to recover and restore. The restore worked completely except for the fact that none of the photos was restored despite iTunes reporting that all of them were there.

Just to be clear, after the restore, iTunes was showing that all photos were on the iPad but Settings/General/About was showing a photo count of ZERO. Songs and Movies were restored correctly.

Not happy - I will now have to spend months syncing my photos again with all the issues that have been presented ad nauseum in this forum.

Screen shots here:

Restored from this Backup - Note Size of 30Gb

User uploaded file

After Backup - iPad according to iTunes - 35000 photos using 80Gb of space and 120 Gb free

User uploaded file

After Backup - iPad according to iPad - 0 photos using 0Gb of space and 215 Gb free

User uploaded file

With respect to Apple there clearly is an issue with IOS 11 and photo sync - iTunes is not reading the state of Photos on IOS so it is not surprising that there are errors when it attempts to sync.

Btw the size of the current iPad backup is now only 4Gb, so I have 26Gb of Photos to sync - thank you Apple for such a well tested IOS update.

Nov 27, 2017 12:51 PM in response to dagaus190

What I did today is first make backups (incl. whatsapp and Healtcare-apps etc.) than perform a factory reset incl. the latest ios. A factory restore erases the information and settings on your iPhone, iPad, or iPod and installs the latest version of iOS or iPod software.

And, at least, when everything is done restore your last backup to your ipad/iphone and after that sync your photos from itunes!

Restore your iPhone, iPad, or iPod to factory settings - Apple Support.

Photos app on iPhone not syncing in iOS 11

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.