Apple Event: May 7th at 7 am PT

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

No custom ringtones on iPhone 8 Plus/iOS 11

After receiving the iPhone 8 Plus today, backing up my iPhone 6S Plus (running iOS 11), there are no custom ringtones.

This link does absolutely nothing to resolve the issue. It seems to have been written for earlier than 12.7 iTunes.

Use tones on your iPhone, iPad, or iPod touch - Apple Support

If I try to drag anything on my PC from the window with the ringtones open to iTunes, I get a circle with a line through it as I try to drop it (meaning you cannot do this). If I go to File - Add File To Library in iTunes, it places the files that are M4R format into the regular music song list. You cannot drag them from there to the Tones or any other spot in iTunes.

hmmmmm.... seems Apple might have a hiccup here.

iPhone 8 Plus, iOS 11

Posted on Sep 22, 2017 8:25 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Sep 28, 2017 2:00 PM

I have solved the problem of all my missing ringtones after upgrading from an iPhone 6S Plus running iOS 11 to my iPhone 8 Plus running iOS 11.

I have a PC so these instructions work on a PC. I do not know if they work on a Mac.

Connect your iPhone with the missing ringtones to your PC that is running iTunes 12.7

After it connects, you will see your iPhone listed in the left menu, click on it to open it up. Scroll down to where you see TONES and select TONES. A window will open up and it will most likely be blank.

Now, in the upper left corner, click on FILE and then click on ADD FILE TO LIBRARY.

This is where the hiccup is with iTunes. In the Windows window that opened, find your ringtone, click on it once and it will be shown as the selected file. Then...do not click on Open yet. Select the file again and this time, drag it to the TONES area and drop it. Nothing will happen. Go back to the windows window and click OPEN. The file will now appear in TONES.

After you have selected and added all the missing ringtones, click on SUMMARY, then SYNC the phone. Wha la, your ringtones are back and you can now set all the tones up.

This also will work to restore all your missing PDF's

57 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Sep 28, 2017 2:00 PM in response to annabelle

I have solved the problem of all my missing ringtones after upgrading from an iPhone 6S Plus running iOS 11 to my iPhone 8 Plus running iOS 11.

I have a PC so these instructions work on a PC. I do not know if they work on a Mac.

Connect your iPhone with the missing ringtones to your PC that is running iTunes 12.7

After it connects, you will see your iPhone listed in the left menu, click on it to open it up. Scroll down to where you see TONES and select TONES. A window will open up and it will most likely be blank.

Now, in the upper left corner, click on FILE and then click on ADD FILE TO LIBRARY.

This is where the hiccup is with iTunes. In the Windows window that opened, find your ringtone, click on it once and it will be shown as the selected file. Then...do not click on Open yet. Select the file again and this time, drag it to the TONES area and drop it. Nothing will happen. Go back to the windows window and click OPEN. The file will now appear in TONES.

After you have selected and added all the missing ringtones, click on SUMMARY, then SYNC the phone. Wha la, your ringtones are back and you can now set all the tones up.

This also will work to restore all your missing PDF's

Nov 18, 2017 3:46 PM in response to kk5do

I was able to remedy this issue with Apple's link: https://support.apple.com/en-us/HT207955

Once you plug your phone into the computer and it pops up in iTunes, only then you will see a Tones section under the device. You can locate your old ringtone files under Music/iTunes/iTunes Media/Tones then copy and paste them into the tones list and Sync... worked for me!

Oct 6, 2017 12:13 PM in response to faymos

What helped me was restoring a backup from the older iPhone 6s to iPhone 8

I had my issues to get the ringtones back as they were (solved installing iTunes 12.7 on a different disk )

Having my phone recognized by the new disk...etc

At the end though I didn't have to reassign any ringtone because I guess there already was data telling the iOS who to assign the right ringtone.

Oct 6, 2017 2:18 PM in response to kk5do

If you go to your phone app and then select contacts, then find a contact without an assigned ringtone, click on the Edit option and you will see in the edit screen Ringtone Default. Tap that and a screen will come up that says store. Under that option you will see Tone Store and Download All Purchased Tones. Once you hit Download All Purchased Tones, any you bought from Apple will appear. If you have any you made with a third party app, search for Ringtone from the finder window and open in Finder Window. Use the procedure above to drag and drop your third party ringtones. They will now show up with your alarms, text alerts, and contacts.

Oct 6, 2017 10:41 PM in response to EJulien

I am on a mac 10.12.6.and itunes 12.7.0I .just got my first iphone. It is an 8+. I tried all of the above, including converting the mp3s to m4r which I read elsewhere.

I tried dragging both type files (both from my desktop and from itunes) into the tones folder. Either nothing happens or I get a message xxx was not copied to the iphone because it cannot be played on this phone.

The ringtones play in my itunes on my mac and my ipad.

Can someone help?

Oct 9, 2017 11:35 AM in response to imnokid

Maybe updating your iTunes 12.7 to 12.6.3 (yes no need to downgrade, Apple made it happens) will solve all your issues

Apple just updated to iTunes 12.6.3 , everything is back and you can install the new release over 12.7 , without the need to downgrade it. The only thing you need to do is to update the iTunes library and everything you need to do is explained in the linked page

Oct 10, 2017 5:01 AM in response to kk5do

This worked perfectly for my first ringtone, (hurrah!) but it wouldn't do a second one. I tried disconnecting and reconnecting my phone. When I hit the "open" button after the other steps, iTunes displayed quickly at the top "waiting for sync to start," then "waiting for changes to be applied" then something which was too fast to read, but no new ringtone showed up. However this is the first solution which worked at all, so I thank you

Oct 10, 2017 7:33 AM in response to shoey1372

I just realised that in my reply I referenced an article, but it was one I found elsewhere.

Take your ringtone that you created and put it in itunes.

Highlight ringtone, go to file/convert/create apple lossless version.

Drag apple lossless one to desktop.

Change suffix from m4a to m4r.

Plug iphone into computer, click iphone icon

drag m4r into Tones

Voila! you are done.

Oct 11, 2017 5:28 PM in response to annabelle

Of course, that is how it SHOULD work. I am using a new iphone 8+ and a newer mac,10.12.6, my itunes is current 12.7.0.166. I can't delete the tones in itunes. I cannot even uncheck the boxes for syncing, and I can't delete from the phone, either. Probably a mistake in the code and will be corrected with an update. And the sooner the better!

No custom ringtones on iPhone 8 Plus/iOS 11

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.