Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Spinning wheel next to WiFi on iPhone

Hello:

Since I have updated to iOS 11; my phone constantly has the "spinning wheel" issue. My background app refresh is off along with location services. It even spins when connected to Wifi. Does anyone else have this issue? Any help is greatly appreciated since this draining my battery quickly!

[Re-Titled by Host]

iPhone 7 Plus, iOS 11

Posted on Sep 23, 2017 10:58 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Sep 24, 2017 5:08 PM

Ok here is the solution.....

Technical Fix for outstanding iOS 11 bug...

Ok I’m not that big on all the changes in IOS 11 for iPhone. I had the continuous data spinning wheel issue that would not go away.

THERE IS ONLY ONE RESOLVE FOR THIS ISSUE.

You must do a forced restart. (I have the big boy 7 plus)

Simultaneously push n hold side lock key (right side button) while depressing volume down key (left side, bottom button) for up to 10 seconds.

Give it time to power down and then turn it back on.

Issue should be fixed.

127 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Sep 24, 2017 5:08 PM in response to ebanegas84

Ok here is the solution.....

Technical Fix for outstanding iOS 11 bug...

Ok I’m not that big on all the changes in IOS 11 for iPhone. I had the continuous data spinning wheel issue that would not go away.

THERE IS ONLY ONE RESOLVE FOR THIS ISSUE.

You must do a forced restart. (I have the big boy 7 plus)

Simultaneously push n hold side lock key (right side button) while depressing volume down key (left side, bottom button) for up to 10 seconds.

Give it time to power down and then turn it back on.

Issue should be fixed.

Oct 3, 2017 5:30 AM in response to JPBMW

I have been having the same issue for a week now with my 6s+ I have restarted the phone, reinstalled IOS, etc. I finally figured the issue has to do with dictation. Whenever I reset the network settings on the cell, the wheel would stop. But as soon as I hit the microphone in the keypad to talk-to-type, the wheel would startup again and continually spin when I unlocked the phone. To fix this for now, I disabled my dictation in Settings-General-Keyboard after I reset my network settings. and the spinning wheel issue doesnt happen since I cant use that feature (which I love to use and I hope they fix)

Oct 9, 2017 6:58 AM in response to Philly_Phan

Here's what I did that worked. I didn't drive in my car to the crowded mall, I didn't spend 5 dollars or more on gas to do so, I didn't wait in a mall, I didn't spend two hours doing so, I did actually stay in my pajamas, it took a few seconds, it wasn't some weird voodoo act-I actually just pressed the home button for a long time, asked Siri who's the fairest of them all, and the problem went away. I've used a very simple technique and at the same time saved money. I know that this problem has been seen by apple, it will be handled very soon. How are you being helpful, I wonder? Talking down to people asking for help must be a social disorder. Phones are amazing technology, glitches happen, computers do odd things sometimes at odd times and sometimes there are simple fixes, temporary or long lasting.

Oct 4, 2017 8:15 AM in response to ndg1

Hello!

In iOS 11 on iPhone 6 - Continual Network Activity, and unexpected Cellular data activity I post my findings concerning the spinning wheel. Maybe you can check that; it's not a solution but maybe an explanation:

"Concerning your 2nd dot:

I have the same issue. I restarted the phone and it seams to be solved.

But what I found out in the meantime is, that I have heavy bachground activity of "Mails" (synchronization I can understand) but also of "Settings" (twice as much as foreground activity) and that's what I don't undestand. Syncronization/ backup with iCloud etc. is switched off.

Do you have a clue what caused the settings background activity???"

Oct 4, 2017 2:39 PM in response to JPBMW

Since I posted this thread; I did a full restore. I did a clean install of everything and the issue has been fixed. However, iOS 11 is very buggy and cumbersome to use IMOP. The latest issue I am having is when someone calls me; I use to be able to silence the ringer by pushing in the power button. This now declines the call. This has changed since 11.0.1 has rolled out. Is there a way to change this?

Oct 9, 2017 11:29 PM in response to Philly_Phan

Philly it is a bug and it is widespread. Stop acting like you know it all. Just because YOU aren’t experiencing the problem doesn’t mean it isn’t one. It’s an obvious glitch in the new iOS people are having. I have had an iPhone since 2010 when he iPhone 4 came out. I’ve had EVERY iOS since then and every update as well as many different model iPhones since then. I’ve NEVER had this issue with any iOS or any phone, until I upgraded to iOS 11. So one you are wrong, and two don’t give people bad info saying it isn’t a bug or glitch or whatever you want to call it.

Oct 17, 2017 7:36 AM in response to JPBMW

I experienced the same annoying issue... and after resetting network settings, it went better for an hour... and started again, draining battery fast. I disabled the "background apps + automatic updates of Appstore"... nothing.

Then I realized that I had been doing IOS updates OTA and I remembered that in the past, it was explained that OTA updates are like an "onion" OS... which means, layer above layer after each update, slower and sometimes with more bugs than "clean IOS".

--> I did a backup of my iPhone... i downloaded IOS 11.0.3 IPSW and typed "restore"... to do a FULL RESTORE.

After restart... just restore from backup... and your IOS is clean. It works and it's been a few days that I can finally enjoy IOS11 properly. Hope this helps you. Remember that OTA updates are quite convenient, but for a major release update like from 10 to 11... a full restore is sometimes better and needed.

Oct 29, 2017 12:04 PM in response to jacksbella

You are welcome. Version 11.1 is in beta5 as well... to solve other issues.

You can register for free as beta tester (at your own risks) as after beta5, usually you are close to final GTM release... I did personally, because it claims to improve battery life even more.

rem: I know... I did it OTA... which means that within a few updates, I will redo a clean restore ;-)

Spinning wheel next to WiFi on iPhone

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.