Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

iPhone 8 Plus Sound Distortion

I am using an iPhone 8 Plus on iOS 11.0. I noticed that when I am playing song on loudspeaker, there are some kind of "noise" or "distortion" to the song, every time I make some actions that would trigger sound feedback, e.g. typing on the keyboard. This will also occur when I browse in the App Store while listening to song, especially when the App Store video tries to play automatically. This issue does not happen while I use a headphone instead. Apparently this issue also exists in other iPhone 8 and 8 Plus. Is this hardware defect?

iPhone 8 Plus, iOS 11

Posted on Sep 24, 2017 6:05 PM

126 replies

Sep 25, 2017 4:57 PM in response to hansng

Hi, hansng!

Congratulations on your new iPhone 8 Plus! From your post, I understand that when listening to music while doing other tasks (such as typing), there seems to be distortion from the speakers. I'm happy to help!

Based on what you've described, I would recommend utilizing the steps in the article If you hear no sound or distorted sound from your iPhone, iPad, or iPod touch speaker - Apple Support , outlined below:

If you hear no sound or distorted sound from your iPhone, iPad, or iPod touch speaker

Get help with the speaker on your iPhone, iPad, or iPod touch.

Before you use the following steps, see if your speaker works: In Settings > Sounds, drag the "Ringer And Alerts" slider up or down a few times.

• If you don't hear any sound, your speaker might need service. Contact Apple Support.
  • If you do hear sound, use these steps and check the sound after each step:

Check your sound settings

If your device has a Ring/Silent switch, move the switch so that you don't see orange by the switch.

Next, open Settings > Do Not Disturb and check that Do Not Disturb is off.

User uploaded file

Check sound with an app

Open an app that has music or sound effects. To test for sound, adjust the volume with your volume buttons or the slider in Control Center.

Plug headphones into your device

If you can hear sound through the headset, remove it and clear dust or debris from the headset port on your device.

Turn off Bluetooth

To make sure that your device isn't connected to a Bluetooth accessory, go to Settings > Bluetooth and turn off Bluetooth.

Restart your device

Turn off your device, then turn it back on. Check the sound again. If you still don't hear any sound, contact Apple Support.

Thanks for visiting the Apple Support Communities. Have a lovely day!

Mar 22, 2018 2:08 AM in response to VagelisDer

I have had iPhone 8 Plus for just over one week and have been to Apple Store three times with the same problem. I too get a 'pop' when answering a call, while changing videos on YouTube and on some other apps. It happens when I am receiving a lot of messages at the same time or when I am typing a reply and another message comes in at the same time I am using the keyboard. It is driving me mad!

I have had a replacement handset and it has the same problem!

This is not the same issue as when this model was first released and the problem was during calls.

During my last visit I was told that it was because the speakers were different in the newer phones and that the problem is on all of these newer phones, he indeed showed me on his own iPhone X and it had the same problem.

I am actually really annoyed at this. I love my phone but I do not love this noise and as I paid a lot of money I expect perfection and an upgrade from my last model not a step back!

I think everyone should call into Apple Store or post on here and hopefully Apple will sit up and take note!

Dec 19, 2017 11:03 AM in response to hansng

I have submitted this bug to Apple's Bug Report. And they ask me to sysdiagnose and to send them logs.

I originally submitted the issue like this.

User uploaded file

Then I have provided logs they asked me for via their sysdiagnose.

I would like to ask all of you that have this problem to report this bug in a similar way, so Apple has some evidence of this and feedback from us. Maybe if there is a good number of us to report this similarly, we will finally have a fix for this issue.

Thank you all for help.

I really hope that I do not need to sell my phone for some other. Otherwise my 8 Plus is perfect.

Sep 25, 2017 6:23 PM in response to raina_b22

Hi Becky,

Thanks for the reply. I have tried these steps and they do not seem to work. Hard reset did not work for me as well.

This issue can be easily reproduced by tapping into an app page which contains auto-playable video in the App Store, while playing song in the background. Video auto-play setting has to be turned on. The issue does not occur every time but it will occur once in a few times when I repeatedly tapping in and out of the app page.

I went to Apple Store and check on the other new iPhone 8 and 8 Plus. They seems to face the same issue as well.

Thanks.

Sep 25, 2017 6:43 PM in response to hansng

Dude! I have the same issue! It's with calling people and the headset. I went on the forums to post about it, and saw your post.

So, yesterday I bought the 8 Plus, and got it home. I had problems enabling AT&T WiFi, so I had to call AT&T. During my call, it was crackling and popping the entire call. So I switched it to speaker phone and then it stopped. I then tried to make a test call back to 611, and every time, I could hear this crackling and popping. It's incessant. So, I talked to someone on the Support app after going through Apple's website to troubleshoot the issue, and they said their diagnostic tool didn't find anything wrong with the app, bring it into the store so they can look at it. I brought it back to the store, and they swapped it out for another 8 Plus, but it had the same issue. I asked the technician if she could just get me one of the demo 8 Plus phones and see if it does it, and it that one does it, either the batch sent to this store was defective, or it's a problem with AT&T. She wasn't able to get an 8 Plus demo phone, but she was able to get an 8 phone, and I put my SIM card in and it had the same problem!

However, I've narrowed it down to a software issue. I made a call to a friend for about an hour. (We talked about philosophy/the human condition/trump/something I know would get the conversation heated so the volume in the conversation would rise). The conversation is broken up in 20 minute segments (1/3rd each). The first 20 minutes was held on the ear piece speaker that you put next to your ear. It was crackling and popping the entire time. The next 20 minutes was held on CarPlay. No crackling or popping. The following 20 minutes was held again on the ear piece speaker, no crackling and popping.

This HAS to be a software issue with the 8/8 Plus! I worked with the GoldSrc video game engine before, and this sounds like an artifact when the packet alignment bytes are wrong or out of sync, and the compression algorithm compensates for this by just interpolating the signal. However, cellphone signals are very noisy, something around the 98 dB SNR rate. This means there's a lot of garbage that needs to be filtered out, most of it done in software. I BELIEVE that the baseband modem is just not doing its job right, and that is what is causing this popping we are hearing.

Oct 8, 2017 8:49 AM in response to Waitat25

Same for me. iOS 11.0.2 did not solve my problem. It was apparently to fix the cracking sound while placing a phone call.

Is your issue the same as what I described?

I am from Singapore and I found that the iPhones in the Apple Store are having the same problem too. I reported to Apple Support and they are yet to provide a fix.

Oct 8, 2017 10:42 AM in response to julieda

The 11.0.2 download didn’t solve the problem with music playing while using some other application and hearing a popping/distortion noise. I believe it only fixed the issue some people were having with a cracking sound during phone calls while using the phone’s earpiece. I’m pretty sure it’s a software issue also but hasn’t been addressed by Apple yet. I hope it is soon though.

Oct 17, 2017 3:56 PM in response to Waitat25

The same here! I got my 8 plus just a week ago, I had no problem at all until the update software froze my phone. it stuck on the Apple logo page, tried force to restart the phone several times and still the same. Brought it back to the Apple store and got a replacement, then noticed this one has distorted speaker issue, also I can’t hear from the earpiece sometimes. So annoying!

Oct 22, 2017 6:21 AM in response to hansng

This problem is happening on my almost brand new iPad Pro with iOS 11.0.3 with a proper 3.5mm plug headphone. There is background music playing but dialogues from movies are lost and lyrics from songs are lost too. Music can sound very tinny as well.

Tried a few other headphones, same issue, I noticed if I stick my headphone in not all the way, i can start to hear people talk again in movies. But the headphone can’t go all the way in, part way only and you need to hold the headphone part in a certain position to hear things properly.

i think there is a software glitch that’s sending signals down the wrong paths.

Nov 16, 2017 8:27 PM in response to hansng

I’m having a annoying problem my iPhone 8 Plus is having a popping sound from my speakers wen playing music on Spotify and on fb messenger but if I put the phone on silent it doesn’t do it it’s so strainge it looks like these updates haven’t actually made one to fix this issue but I really hope they bring one soon

Nov 23, 2017 11:13 AM in response to Fk4631

I have been back to Apple store and I am onto my third handset and guess what? Same problem!

So I was thinking it must be hardware but I was told again that it is probably software, so they told me that because of the extended Christmas guarantee I have until the first week in January to see if an update is released that solves this problem.

Let's hope it is. I love the phone but it cost a lot of money and it should be perfect!

Nov 24, 2017 3:40 PM in response to Yaguba

Try downloading a video on YouTube. Search ‘seventeen claps piano’ and play that. It’s quite evident on there. If you hold the phone to your ear you will hear the distortion pretty much all the way through. Also, stop and start the video. All my handsets have made a weird noise when I do that.

Also pretty bad on a boring game I play called ‘match dots’.

When I receive a lot of messages at the same time on what’s app and I am in the process of replying when other messsges come in I get the distortion then too.

iPhone 8 Plus Sound Distortion

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.