Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Apple TV 4K - Control TVs and Receivers

I replaced my Apple TV 4 in my home theater set up with the Apple TV 4K. The Apple TV is connected to my receiver with an HDMI cable, which is then connected to my TV through HDMI. This is the same set up as my Apple TV 4. The Apple TV 4 always turned on and off my receiver and tv when I turned it on or put it to sleep. The Apple TV 4K only does so occasionally. In my settings, when it is not working, the Apple TV 4K has the setting for "Control TVs and Receivers" set to "Off" and will not let me change the setting. If I restart the Apple TV, it will then be set to "On" and control my tv and receiver. However, it will then switch the setting to "Off" and only be corrected if I restart the Apple TV again. Is there a way to get this setting to stay "ON"?

Apple TV 4K, iOS 11

Posted on Sep 26, 2017 6:25 AM

37 replies

Sep 26, 2017 6:47 AM in response to dwayneabailey

Hi Dwayne - sorry to not answer your question but you have the same setup I do. Did you by chance have an issue getting HDR enabled while going through the receiver? Mine works fine with my 4K HDR blu-ray player but HDR will not enable thru the receiver, just 4K SDR. Just had a thought on yours actually, is CEC enabled everywhere it should be? I think that's required. While I can't get HDR, I do get receiver control.

Oct 2, 2017 7:20 PM in response to dwayneabailey

I am seeing this exact same issue. I never had a problem with my Apple TV 4 but since the 4K I've had issues with CEC. I have to reboot the Apple TV for it to restore functionality.

When it stops working I notice my volume control is being done via IR, camputred by my TV not via HDMI to my receiver. The menu option will say it is on but will show volume control through the TV via IR which isn't CEC and gives no option to control volume via HDMI. I have a receiver and TV compatible with CEC and the Apple TV should be controlling volume through HDMI to which ever I am using to listen to content on. When seeing the issue, I reboot the Apple TV and it will then show it is using CEC and controlling my receiver's volume via HDMI.

I think once it goes to sleep and I wake it up this issue pops up requiring a reboot every time to reenable the functionality. Very annoying.

I've joined the public beta in hopes that the recently released beta update will resolve this issue but no dice.

Oct 7, 2017 8:45 AM in response to mickc82

I have the exact same issue. CEC is on for HDMI on my TV and sleep turned the TV and receiver off with my fourth generation Apple TV that the new 4K TV has that setting grade out and won’t let me change it and it is not working. This apparently is a bug with the 4K TV. Hopefully a software update will fix it soon or I am having to go back to my old worth generation Apple TV which ***** maybe I can get a refund on the new one

Oct 8, 2017 9:38 AM in response to dwayneabailey

I'm really glad to see that others are having this same issue because we have been tearing our hair out over the last couple of days trying to figure this out.

If we just plug the Apple TV 4K directly into the TV, it seems to work fine, but as soon as we add the receiver into the mix, the exact behavior described by others happens. We were starting to think maybe it's the receiver because we just updated it to support 4K and it also received a firmware update (it's a NAD T758, which is component-based, so you can replace certain components to upgrade it).

We're going to plug in the Apple TV 4th Gen and try to rule out that it's the receiver and in fact the Apple TV 4K...

Oct 8, 2017 10:33 AM in response to MacCourt

My tv has an ARC HDMI port. So it will receive video and audio from sources connected to my receiver and it will also send audio to my receiver. I went with this set up because my receiver only has HDMI 1.4. Supports 4K @ 30 and no HDR so I connected it to my tv directly instead to get 4K @ 60 and HDR and have audio routed via ARC to my receiver.

Apple TV 4K - Control TVs and Receivers

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.