Apple Event: May 7th at 7 am PT

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

High Sierra install is frozen

I’ve been running Sierra on a mid 2010 iMac - tried to upgrade to High Sierra last night. Download went fine - install seemed to be proceeding well. However when the bar was about 95% of the way across, it just stopped. Has been this way for about 10 hours now. Computer is getting pretty warm (hot). Would you just shut it down? How do I know if something is going on still? Would you shut it down and just try to restart it? Or would you first try to restart in Safe Mode?

Not sure what is going on, but not thrilled. I do have a Time Machine backup.

Thanks,

Mark

Posted on Sep 26, 2017 6:33 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Jan 19, 2018 11:39 AM

Success: I resolved this exact problem. When trying to install High Sierra, my Mac was stuck the black startup screen, stalling at either 90% or 100% completion between restarts.

I managed to get High Sierra installed without losing any of my files. Here is how I did it.

Failures:

• Resetting a billion times.
  • Resetting PRAM.
  • Resetting CMD.
  • Using Safe Mode.
  • Using Recovery Mode (It would freeze upon attempting to re-install the OS, and Disk Utility couldn't detect my drive).
  • Using Internet Recovery Mode (Same as above).
  • Looking at Verbose startup mode -- it said "Error 13" on the drive IO.
  • Talking to the "geniuses" at an Apple Bar, as well as online tech support. They suggested either formatting my drive, or even buying a new drive. They had no inclination to dig into the problem and actually figure it out and fix it.

What worked:

• I put my Mac in Target Disk mode (hold down T upon startup).
  • I connected my Macbook to another Macbook using a Thunderbolt cable. The other Macbook must be running High Sierra. If you don't have a friend with a Macbook, you might be sh*t out of luck.
  • I made a backup of my files, in case things went poorly. My Macbook appeared as a drive on my friend's High Sierra computer, but dragging files over in Finder resulted in an error. I had to use Terminal and "cp" my files over.
  • I opened Disk Utility on my friend's computer, and here are the steps I took:
    • View -> Show All Devices
    • My Macbook showed up, along with various "Container disks".
    • I ran First Aid/Repair on all of the various things I saw. Some of them threw errors and refused to repair, but that seems to have been okay.
  • I then created a bootable USB installer as per How to create a bootable installer for macOS - Apple Support using my friend's computer.
  • I ejected my Mac, disconnected it from the other computer, and booted my Mac onto the USB booter. I ran the installer from the USB stick, and it succeeded! After it completed, High Sierra booted up, and all of my files were present, unharmed.

This was a huge headache for me, and I hope that this writeup helps save your files. Don't necessarily listen to the Apple "geniuses" who say that a format is necessary.

97 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Jan 19, 2018 11:39 AM in response to ATHiker95

Success: I resolved this exact problem. When trying to install High Sierra, my Mac was stuck the black startup screen, stalling at either 90% or 100% completion between restarts.

I managed to get High Sierra installed without losing any of my files. Here is how I did it.

Failures:

• Resetting a billion times.
  • Resetting PRAM.
  • Resetting CMD.
  • Using Safe Mode.
  • Using Recovery Mode (It would freeze upon attempting to re-install the OS, and Disk Utility couldn't detect my drive).
  • Using Internet Recovery Mode (Same as above).
  • Looking at Verbose startup mode -- it said "Error 13" on the drive IO.
  • Talking to the "geniuses" at an Apple Bar, as well as online tech support. They suggested either formatting my drive, or even buying a new drive. They had no inclination to dig into the problem and actually figure it out and fix it.

What worked:

• I put my Mac in Target Disk mode (hold down T upon startup).
  • I connected my Macbook to another Macbook using a Thunderbolt cable. The other Macbook must be running High Sierra. If you don't have a friend with a Macbook, you might be sh*t out of luck.
  • I made a backup of my files, in case things went poorly. My Macbook appeared as a drive on my friend's High Sierra computer, but dragging files over in Finder resulted in an error. I had to use Terminal and "cp" my files over.
  • I opened Disk Utility on my friend's computer, and here are the steps I took:
    • View -> Show All Devices
    • My Macbook showed up, along with various "Container disks".
    • I ran First Aid/Repair on all of the various things I saw. Some of them threw errors and refused to repair, but that seems to have been okay.
  • I then created a bootable USB installer as per How to create a bootable installer for macOS - Apple Support using my friend's computer.
  • I ejected my Mac, disconnected it from the other computer, and booted my Mac onto the USB booter. I ran the installer from the USB stick, and it succeeded! After it completed, High Sierra booted up, and all of my files were present, unharmed.

This was a huge headache for me, and I hope that this writeup helps save your files. Don't necessarily listen to the Apple "geniuses" who say that a format is necessary.

Sep 26, 2017 10:39 AM in response to macjack

Well I did a simple reboot and tried to do it in safe mode but I’m not sure I really ended up in safe mode but fortunately that reboot made it work! The bar looks like it was still stuck and it took about 15 more minutes and then suddenly I heard my time machine back up drive spin up for a second or two and the progress bar actually went backwards for a few seconds and then the screen started flashing rather strangely and I saw my face appear with a login box. I hit enter and it started coming to life!

Sep 26, 2017 6:40 AM in response to jbburf

Mine doesn’t even show the time remaining - just the bar. What is your plan? Continue to let it sit or reboot and cross fingers? 😁 I saw a comment from a MacWorld editor in the UK that you could type Command+L and see a log file that would indicate if it was actively doing something or nothing. I tried that but all I got was a keyboard sound and nothing else.

Sep 26, 2017 6:43 AM in response to macjack

in addition to that I have found in some occasions disconnecting anything thats not needed can help move the process along when it gets stuck. It's best to do this before you begin the install.

Its not uncommon for any and all OS X upgrades to get stuck in the last few minutes of the install and rebooting sometimes clears it up. this (bad) behavior is not exclusive to High Sierra but it's more the exception than the rule - at least I hope it is because I plan to clean install it on my 2010 Mac Pro when I leave for lunch and see what happens when I get back.

Sep 26, 2017 7:19 AM in response to JimmyCMPIT

It almost sounds like my hard drive is doing something although the install is stuck. I hear very slight rumbling and computer is pretty hot (of course iMacs always feel hot). If it is actually doing something after all these hours , will rebooting screw up the works?

Thanks,

Mark

PS - just trying to be cautious before I start messing. 🙂

Sep 26, 2017 9:57 AM in response to ATHiker95

I had the same thing with MacBook Pro getting quite warm and stuck on progress bar with no other info like time remaining. I finally held down the power key until it turned off and then powered back on. It resumed the install and finished fine. YMMV and obviously bad things could happen but after this much time, you're likely going to have to do this anyway. Good luck.

Oct 4, 2017 12:07 PM in response to ATHiker95

Thought I would share what worked for me on my Macbook Pro 2016 with TouchBar.

Had the same issue. Tried upgrading directly from the installer, from recovery mode, from internet recovery mode, doing first aid in between, still no success.

Couldn't login anymore, so after recovering from Time Machine (5 hours... ugh) I created a bootable usb version of the installer. This was about 45 minutes ago and I'm already here writing this in High Sierra. Give this a go!

Oct 4, 2017 12:22 PM in response to Donnie11

Good advice!

I had trouble upgrading from the latest bèta release since the App Store error'ed out every single time I tried to install the public release, probable due to the installed beta access utility, but luckily I had another Mac that was still on Sierra and was able to download High Sierra, put that on a USB Flash drive and install went smoothly from there on.

Oct 9, 2017 2:40 AM in response to jbburf

My problem on my 2012 MacBook Pro is even worse. Since updating from 10.12.6 the system is using almost 100% of the processor time, meaning that my user applications are at snails pace. Kernel_task is using 533% of CPU (not sure how this is mathematically possible - but hey ho this is an Apple machine, and they are never wrong).

People say ‘oh that is a faulty temperature sensor and you need a new motherboard’ (for £500? - yeah right).

However, I have a bootable copy of 10.12.6 on my external HDD and if I start up from that everything works fine. System processor usage between 5 and 10% until I start software.

So, why is my motherboard/sensor faulty on 10.13.0 but not on 10.12.6?

I could live with booting from the external drive permanently if it wasn’t for the bind of having to transfer bookmarks, iTunes libraries, etc., but why should I have to?

Oct 15, 2017 12:58 PM in response to Benny B

Well, Duh!!

Do you really think we would go to the trouble of asking a question here, if we had not tried all the blatantly obvious solutions?

My theory is that when anything goes wrong with an update Apple have pre-programmed a throttling process into the startup in order to get the user to take the computer to an Apple Store to pay vast amounts of money for a "repair" which is basically not necessary.

I say this because I have SSD Fan Control installed on the 10.12.6 boot copy, and when I start from this, the fans go to 6300 rpm almost immediately after the horizontal startup progress bar appears on the screen. All they have done is set a sensor to register 128C and Bingo!! pretend the motherboard needs replacing; but 2/3rds of the way across, the progress bar SSD Fan Control kicks in and the fans reduce to 2000rpm which is the value I have set them to.

Unfortunately, when you install 10.13.0 it automatically renders much Apple software to be incompatible with 10.12.6.

I'm afraid this is corporate arrogance beyond belief. Imagine buying a car, and if you drove above the speed limit for a few minutes or disconnected the car battery, the engine was throttled back to a maximum of 25mph until you took it to a garage for an expensive repair.

Oct 15, 2017 1:10 PM in response to Benny B

Not everything is about me, says the person who is so self obsessed that he takes just 5 minutes to respond to a critical reply.

Do you not understand irony?

I will take "you seem to have problems that extend beyond your boot process" as an admittance that you do not have a clue what my problem is - but you feel you just have to reply anyway.

High Sierra install is frozen

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.