Want to highlight a helpful answer? Upvote!

Did someone help you, or did an answer or User Tip resolve your issue? Upvote by selecting the upvote arrow. Your feedback helps others! Learn more about when to upvote >

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Can't edit or share my iPhone photos

Hi,

Since upgrading to iOS 11, I've discovered some strange behaviour in the Camera and Photos app. Any photo which I have taken recently can't be edited or shared. (The icons are greyed out).

Anyone know why this is?

[Re-Titled by Host]

I can still share photos by going into the Messages app and attaching them, just not from the Camera or Photos app. I suspect that once I sync via wifi that makes the photos editable/shareable, but it is annoying to have to do this and not be able to edit them straight away. I suspect a mobile data setting, but no amount of playing around has been able to resolve it.

I have a 128Gb iPhone 6s, running iOS 11.0 (15A372). There's plenty of free space.

iPhone 6s, iOS 11

Posted on Sep 26, 2017 8:45 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Oct 4, 2017 8:40 PM

My wife is having the same trouble. She takes a photo that can be edited then just minutes later takes another that can’t be edited. It makes no sense. Restarting the phone makes no difference. Very frustrating.

98 replies

Dec 16, 2017 6:41 PM in response to StoicTheGeek

I am also experiencing this problem, despite having just updated to the latest iOS version on my iPhone 6s.

That a 1000$ phone displays these kinds of bugs is definitely unacceptable. The response we’ve gotten so far doesn’t help solving the issue in any way shape or form and sounds more like a joke than a real attempt of letting us edit and share our photos.

May 16, 2018 6:14 AM in response to sterling r

It didn't work out! restating or any wont work. Still the photo is disable and gray. The only options that are enable: like and delete.

Apple,

• If you don't know the answer, please don't give folks try and error answers.
  • Give issue to your dev dept. Go and find the bug in Camera source code, or iOS, etc.
  • Then come with accurate solution.
  • Your sol must be accurate and tested

Dec 12, 2017 7:09 AM in response to matthewfrombrentwood bay

Taking a screen shot of the image reduces image quality and doesn't capture metadata like date and time. The Afterlight suggestion worked for me. This issue has been happening periodically on my girlfriend's 7 Plus. Updating to iOS 11.2 didn't fix anything (maybe new pictures will work better). She doesn't have Afterlight but has VSCO. Saving a new copy of the image from the VSCO app enables the Edit and Share buttons for the new image in Photos. Seems like the workaround is to duplicate the image from some third party app. Hopefully Apple fixes this!

Oct 15, 2017 6:58 AM in response to StoicTheGeek

Hey guys, this Issue is definitely NOT “resolved”! The suggestion about enabling iCloud Photo Library doesn’t make any sense, nor would it explain this series of photos:

1) Photo #1 - taken first, Edit and Share options are mysterious disabled (first time I’ve ever seen that)

2) Photo #2 - taken 3 minutes later, Edit and Share both work fine

3) Screenshot of Photo #1 - made 1 min later, Edit and Share both work fine

In other words, I cannot see anything in this sequence that explains the odd behavior. Photo #1 is nothing special and why would enable iPhoto Library explain the odd behavior 3 mins apart??

Can somebody from Apple offer an explanation. It seems like a bug, nothing more.

Sep 27, 2017 10:47 AM in response to StoicTheGeek

Greetings, StoicTheGeek .

After reviewing your post, it appears that the photos you take with the Camera and Photos applications on your iPhone aren't behaving as expected. When you view the photo through either application, it's replaced by a gray box and you're unable to edit or share them. I'm happy help you with this.

Force an app to close on your iPhone, iPad, or iPod touch -- First, force close the Camera and/or Photos application(s) if it's/they're open, then Restart your iPhone, iPad, or iPod touch -- Either view the previous photo or take another photo once you're back to the Home screen and test.

How to back up your iPhone, iPad, and iPod touch -- If restarting your phone didn't resolve the issue, please be sure to have a fresh backup to keep your personal information safe. In order to back up your Health data, the backup needs to be encrypted. iCloud does this automatically, but iTunes doesn't. If you'd like to use iTunes to back up your phone, refer to this article: About encrypted backups in iTunes

If you can't update or restore your iPhone, iPad, or iPod touch -- Even though the title of the article isn't specific to your issue, the section titled "Put your device in recovery mode and set it up again" will walk you through all the steps to reinstall the iOS software on your device. Test the issue once your phone has returned to the Home screen.

Let me know how that goes and take care!

May 16, 2018 11:33 AM in response to amielmercado

Curious about you others out there having this issue of not being able to edit or share/export photos you literally JUST effing took. Trying to help determine the cause, as it doesn't seem to be the mass population...

• What version iPhone do you have?I'm on iPhone X
  • What iOs version are you running?I'm on 11.3.1
  • How many items (photos/videos) are in your iCloud photo library?Mine is over 110k which could be part of the problem
  • Do you have your PHOTOS settings set to "Optimize iPhone Storage" or "Download and Keep Originals"?I have mine set to "Optimize iPhone Storage", which I understand requires a stable internet connection because photos are instantly sent to the cloud before they can be edited/exported to other apps.
  • How long has this been happening for you?I started noticing it back in March 2018
  • Do you notice any difference being connected to WiFi vs. LTE/cellular?I do notice that it eventually works while connected to Gigabit bandwidth wifi, but significantly lag time. Otherwise, on cellular, it doesn't seem to work at all.
  • When you open PHOTO APP and look at PHOTOS tab, does the status at the very bottom under the photo grid say "Last Updated XX min ago" or "Uploading XXX,XXX photos" or....?For me, it usually says something like "Uploading 113,313 items" and never changes. On the rare occasion that it says "Last Updated" or "Update complete", my photos and editing ability magically work as it should be... which makes me think that the problem lies in when it's constantly updating/syncing to the iCloud server with a very large library.

May 24, 2018 9:11 AM in response to amielmercado

Also having the same issue (and have been for a long time)... adding my details.

• What version iPhone do you have?I

I'm on iPhone X

• What iOs version are you running?

I'm on 11.4 Beta 6

• How many items (photos/videos) are in your iCloud photo library?

About 42,000

• Do you have your PHOTOS settings set to "Optimize iPhone Storage" or "Download and Keep Originals"?

I have mine set to "Optimize iPhone Storage"

• How long has this been happening for you?

For months it has been a problem off and on - even before I got the iPhone X last year.

• Do you notice any difference being connected to WiFi vs. LTE/cellular?

Nope - have the issue both on Wifi and LTE

• When you open PHOTO APP and look at PHOTOS tab, does the status at the very bottom under the photo grid say "Last Updated XX min ago" or "Uploading XXX,XXX photos" or....?

Sometimes it's uploading items, sometimes it says "last updated..." On the rare occasion that it says "Last Updated" or "Update complete", my photos and editing ability magically work as it should be... which makes me think that the problem lies in when it's constantly updating/syncing to the iCloud server with a very large library.

Can't edit or share my iPhone photos

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.