Want to highlight a helpful answer? Upvote!

Did someone help you, or did an answer or User Tip resolve your issue? Upvote by selecting the upvote arrow. Your feedback helps others! Learn more about when to upvote >

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Black screen on login window on Mac OS High Sierra

Hi. I installed successfully Mac OS High Sierra (10.13) on my MacBook 2016 Intel Core m3 yesterday. But i have several problems after that. The biggest problem is i have a black screen with mouse curser only and working keyboard and everything else after sleep or log out or click on login window from fast user switching menu! I test it several time and it is just black again and again. I see login window only when turn on MacBook and every time i have this problem i have to force shutdown it and turn it on again.

1. What i should do? Restore my Mac OS Sierra from Time Machine or waiting an update for High Sierra?!

The other problems are:

- The battery status in login window show wrong status!

- I have two Guest users on login window!! when guest user is activated (see below). One with a strange avatar and an unknown password!! and the other is the real guest user (I never added any user named Guest User before).

User uploaded file

- HEIC photos take more time than JPEG photos to open.

2. Where this problems come?! They are related to my MacBook or my OS, or they are High Sierra Problems/Bugs?!

At the end i see a volume named "Other Volume in Container" with 1.75GB capacity in Disk Utility app after High Sierra installed and my MacintoshHD converted to APFS.

3. Is this ok? Should be there this volume? What is it and what it used for?

MacBook, macOS Sierra (10.12.6)

Posted on Sep 27, 2017 12:30 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Sep 30, 2017 6:14 AM

After several times restoring and upgrade and restore and clean install and .... finally i found the problem!

The problem was Lock Message! Even after clean install High Sierra and everything was ok, immediately after set a lock message in System Preferences -> Security & Privacy -> General -> Show a message when the screen is locked, the problem came back.

I don't know is there anybody have this problem or no, but i think this is a bug because happens for me 4 times by 4 different ways install High Sierra and restore my files and settings, so Apple developers should resolve it.

Currently i removed that message on Sierra and upgrade to High Sierra and everything is ok.

25 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Sep 30, 2017 6:14 AM in response to HsnAlzdh

After several times restoring and upgrade and restore and clean install and .... finally i found the problem!

The problem was Lock Message! Even after clean install High Sierra and everything was ok, immediately after set a lock message in System Preferences -> Security & Privacy -> General -> Show a message when the screen is locked, the problem came back.

I don't know is there anybody have this problem or no, but i think this is a bug because happens for me 4 times by 4 different ways install High Sierra and restore my files and settings, so Apple developers should resolve it.

Currently i removed that message on Sierra and upgrade to High Sierra and everything is ok.

Oct 9, 2017 4:53 PM in response to avsaithreddy

Hello A-threddy,

The attached picture shows what my login screen now look likes. I have verified that the Guest User account is OFF in system preferences/Users & Groups.

When I ran your command listed in step 2 of your post, I was returned with what is also pictured in my attachment.

My question is, what belongs "normally" when I run your step 2 command?

Thanks,

User uploaded file

Oct 1, 2017 11:25 PM in response to ijas90

I don't know even what was that user! I tried to remove it but unfortunately it was not successful.

I had a Time Machine backup and try to clean install using an USB installer created by this manual and found the problem and ....

You can clean install High Sierra and then restore your files from Time Machine backup using Migration Assistant app or just copy them to an external drive and back to your MacBook.

Time Machine backup can restore your apps, and if you don't use that you can reinstall app using it's installer of course (I know Microsoft office has an installer, but most apps will install just by dragging them to Application folder).

I hope this will help you.

Oct 29, 2017 11:52 PM in response to HsnAlzdh

Try this,

1. Restart (or start up) your Mac while holding down the Command and R keys.
  2. When the Apple logo appears, let go of those keys.
  3. The Mac will start Recovery System.
  4. A window called Mac OS X Utilities will appear.
  5. Click Utilities -> Terminal
  6. Type in <cd /Volumes/Macintosh HD/Library/Preferences> - without <>
  7. Type in <rm com.apple.PowerManagement.*>
  8. .Type in <reboot>

And you are good to go...

Oct 30, 2017 12:37 AM in response to HsnAlzdh

Try this,

1. Restart (or start up) your Mac while holding down the Command and R keys.
  2. When the Apple logo appears, let go of those keys.
  3. The Mac will start Recovery System.
  4. A window called Mac OS X Utilities will appear.
  5. Click Utilities -> Terminal
  6. Type in <cd /Volumes/Macintosh HD/Library/Preferences> - without <>
  7. Type in <rm com.apple.PowerManagement.*>
  8. .Type in <reboot>

And you are good to go...

Oct 1, 2017 1:46 PM in response to HsnAlzdh

I'm using Mac book pro early 2015 model, and i have the same problem as you mentioned there that an unknown guest user id shows up when login on my mac. could you please guide me to get rid of it? if i want to uninstall the Os high Sierra and reinstall it, how do i do it? if i do the reinstall and stuff will my data such as Microsoft office pack be wiped out? because, even if its wiped off will i be able to reinstall as it's before? (it's a home student package).

Thank you.

Oct 2, 2017 4:10 PM in response to avsaithreddy

This doesn't apply to my system. There is no Guest user account. Verified with 'dscl . -list /Users|\

grep -i guest'.

BTW it's not just at boot time. I also see a black screen on wake from sleep.

I did observe that the black screen problem is fixed if I switch the input on the TV, then switch back to the HDMI input the mini is connected to. Then there is a normal login window and everything works.

Black screen on login window on Mac OS High Sierra

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.