Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Photos in High Sierra Crashing when Editing

I'm getting an instant crash in Photos while I'm in the editing pane. It seems to happen most when I'm using, or have used, the Sharpening panel.

For information, I was also getting this when trying the Beta versions (reported), but it's still happening in a fresh install of release High Sierra with a newly created user account (Photos library is on an external drive, plenty of space 1TB drive, about 50% used).

This line is commonly appearing in the log:

4 Dispatch queue: GL0.high.run

System is iMac late 2013 27", 16GB memory, 1TB HDD.

Cheers.

iMac, macOS High Sierra (10.13), null

Posted on Sep 28, 2017 9:16 AM

60 replies

Oct 11, 2017 8:34 AM in response to TheWildRover

Hi WildRover

I'm also having photos crash with a dispatch queue error on my 27" iMac. Strangely though I am getting the error "GL0.low.run", not "GL0.high.run". This started after upgrading to High Sierra.

Photos will crash after opening and the crash thread varies but the error is always of this type:

Crashed Thread: 2 Dispatch queue: GL0.low.run

Exception Type: EXC_CRASH (SIGABRT)

Exception Codes: 0x0000000000000000, 0x0000000000000000

Exception Note: EXC_CORPSE_NOTIFY

At the suggestion of someone replying to my message (Photos crashing with Exception on dispatch queue thread), I set up a new library and that seemed to work for almost a week. Then, it, too, started crashing with GL0.low.run errors.

There seem to be a small, but growing number of people reporting this dispatch queue error after upgrading to High Sierra.

Ken

Oct 6, 2017 8:27 PM in response to eracode

Somewhat similar problems on my late 2013 iMac too. Photos was working OK until upgrading to High Sierra. Then it started crashing regularly. It could take anything from a few seconds to a few minutes before it crashed again. It seemed to struggle most with cropping, but could crash anywhere, anytime. Many, many crashes. Almost not possible to use for editing. Complete re-instal of High Sierra made no difference.

Sometimes it spontaneously closed, sometimes it would lock up, and sometimes it would cause the whole computer to go back to the log-in screen. And on occasion the screen would flicker or break up in various unusual ways.

It looked like it might possibly be a problem with the graphics drivers (the computer came with Nvidia GeForce GT 750M graphics) so I downloaded some High Sierra compatible drivers from Nvidia. Problem Fixed! Photos working again. Whoopee!

Then Apple put out an update and "bug fix" for High Sierra. When installed it rendered the Nvidia drivers no longer compatible and installed Apple ones instead. Problems back again! Nice work Apple...

Fortunately, Nvidia have kept pace and also quickly released newer drivers which are compatible with the latest version of High Sierra. When I install them Photos worked again.

Given that the Nvidia graphics are Apple original equipment, you'd hope that they'd talk to each other and get it sorted before putting out "upgrades". Ah well, it's working again... for now.... Fingers crossed...

Oct 7, 2017 1:55 AM in response to TheWildRover

I got them from the Nvidia site. They aren't apparently CUDA drivers as such but the description says that if you need CUDA capability (whatever that is???) updated drivers for that will be available later.

The version I got was 378.10.10.10.15.114 which stopped working once the High Sierra update was installed (yesterday or thereabouts?). However clicking on the "Check Now" button in the Nvidia Driver Management Preferences panel downloaded the newer 117 version which then worked again. I don't think that the 117s are available directly at Nvidia yet (I couldn't see them anyway). The panel icon appeared at the top right of screen in the row of icons (wifi, sound , etc)

They're listed as Beta drivers for the late 2013 iMacs. They're not perfect but - for me - they work 100% better than the default OS ones which just crash constantly. It's all a work in progress, but at least I can use Photos again now. I haven't seen any downside to using the Nvidia drivers but switching back to the defaults is very simple if needed (or presumably if Apple get some decent ones out)

Good luck with finding a solution that works for you.

Download location:

http://www.nvidia.com/download/driverResults.aspx/125379/en-us

Oct 7, 2017 9:03 AM in response to TheWildRover

From your experience, I suspect that there was a relatively short window of opportunity to install those .114 Nvidia drivers, and that it was probably closed again once the High Sierra update from Apple was installed.

When I installed the Apple OS update it disabled the .114 Nvidia drivers and wouldn't let me select them again. However, as the Nvidia support software was already installed I was able to get the .117 update through that. And then it all worked again. My guess is that if I tried to run the original package from Nvidia now that I'd get the same incompatibility message that you did.

With luck, either Nvidia will keep working on the drivers that are now apparently still in Beta version and/or Apple will fix up their default graphics drivers to suit Photos on our machines. I imagine that they have a backlog of different versions of graphics cards from various manufactures such as Nvidia and Radeon and writing drivers that can differentiate and cater for them all is probably a complex and ongoing task (at least I hope it's ongoing!). And of course it's always possible that it isn't just a graphic drivers issue and that there are other factors in the mix. Running the built in diagnostics tells me that the computer doesn't have any detectable hardware problems - but who knows how it all works now??....

Cheers (from Western Australia)

Oct 7, 2017 9:24 AM in response to Hakea001

Apparently it seems that the .117 version can be downloaded directly from here (first link down the page). As he says, they're to be regarded as "experimental"!!

They're presumably not exactly designed for my spec of machine but they do work a whole lot better than the default Apple ones. So I'm prepared to take the risk.

https://www.tonymacx86.com/threads/nvidia-releases-alternate-graphics-drivers-fo r-macos-high-sierra-10-13-0-378-10-10-10…

Oct 11, 2017 9:37 AM in response to Ken McEwen

I've really given up now, and abandoned Photos for now. It's a shame and very frustrating, as I've spent many months building the library up migrating it from Lightroom. It's been a lot of wasted time now, and money spent on various extensions that were becoming useful to me.

Perhaps in all the mucking about I may have caused worse issues, or perhaps there's just more bugs, but on top of the crashing, I'm also seeing the library copy errors that others are getting too, and I'm now unable to duplicate my library onto another drive as a backup (having already used up that option in trying to fix the issues I was getting).

Luckily I kind of maintained my Lightroom library as a separate entity on another drive, so with a little catchup editing, I can move back to that quite easily.

My last resort was to try perhaps using PowerPhotos (from BlackCat), and see if I could split the library into smaller chunks, into fresh library files so at least it wasn't a total loss. Of course a fully managed library has advantages, but for file security it can end up being a nightmare. I've suffered this in the past, and should have learnt from that really. The same it that Photos is also too unreliable with Referenced files too, but at least the image files are more easily accessible.

Cheers.

Oct 18, 2017 10:38 PM in response to Arthur Busbey

Luckily I haven't had any OS problems but Photos just gets worse and worse the more I use it. Beyond the retouching and editing issues I experienced soon after the 10.13 upgrade I'm now getting more and more Photos crashes - at first when editing but now just viewing! I've decided to put my work on hold until it's fixed by Apple. I love this app and have many photos tied up in it.

I've rebuilt the Photos library and just not opening it anymore. I recommend everyone stops fiddling with it and waits...

Photos in High Sierra Crashing when Editing

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.