Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Apple Watch face fell off.

The face of my Apple watch fell off. I am 64. My watch is not beat up and very good taken care of. Never been dropped....etc. By the number of posts on this subject it is almost if, there is a problem with the assembly. I just wonder if it is worth it taking it to the Apple Store, as I am not willing to pay $200 for a repair.....

Apple Watch

Posted on Sep 29, 2017 6:31 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Sep 29, 2017 6:34 AM

Hi

Contact Apple Support (mail-in service may be available, if required), make a Genius Bar reservation or visit an Apple Authorised Service Provider to arrange for your Apple Watch to be inspected and to establish your available service options:

Apple Watch Service Answer Center - Apple Support

I'm afraid that no-one here can tell you what Apple will decide. (You are not talking to Apple here - this is a user-based technical support community).

49 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Sep 29, 2017 6:34 AM in response to Dazzem

Hi

Contact Apple Support (mail-in service may be available, if required), make a Genius Bar reservation or visit an Apple Authorised Service Provider to arrange for your Apple Watch to be inspected and to establish your available service options:

Apple Watch Service Answer Center - Apple Support

I'm afraid that no-one here can tell you what Apple will decide. (You are not talking to Apple here - this is a user-based technical support community).

Oct 11, 2017 4:06 AM in response to niccthomp

niccthomp wrote:

.. Mine has just done this and Apple want £200!!! to reattached the .. screen 😟

Apple does not offer a screen repair or replacement service for Apple Watch (it does not "reattach the screen").

If your issue is not covered under warranty or other Apple policy, then your Apple Watch may instead be eligible for whole unit replacement via chargeable, out-of-warranty service (or via AppleCare+, if previously purchased).

Apple advises that you should not continue using a damaged Apple Watch. As you have already done, contact Apple Support (mail-in service may be available, if required), make a Genius Bar reservation or visit an Apple Authorised Service Provider to arrange for your Apple Watch to be inspected and to establish your available service options and any applicable cost:

Oct 2, 2017 1:58 PM in response to Dazzem

I had the same problem. Apple has quietly offered to replace 1st generation watches. The problem is caused by a malfunctioning swollen battery. Call in to replace, they will collect info, send you a box and then send you a replacement. I just called it today and am waiting to send it return. Who knows what watch they will replace mine with. I had the basic model.

Mar 14, 2018 4:27 PM in response to Dazzem

Had my watch on the charger, strapped it on, after 5 minutes looked down and was horrified that my $700, 14 month old watch had the screen flopping around.

Two months out of warranty, so when I took it in, Apply said I damaged it, dropped it or something but if you look at the picture the screen is not cracked, it just a clean separation. Apple said they could cover it if the battery was determined to have swelled but in my case it wasn't apparent. There is definitely a problem with these watches, when the screen pops off neatly like someone used a glass cutter it means there was uniform pressure to make it come off like that, could be gasses from the battery built up inside the stainless steel case or perhaps faulty thin glass. If you look at pictures of people who have actually damaged their watches it is cracked like a phone would, looks like a spider web.

This is mine:

User uploaded file

Here is what a it looks like if you drop it (this is not mine):

User uploaded file

Aug 5, 2018 7:30 AM in response to Dazzem

I just had this happen and thank this site so much for letting me know this may be covered under their warranty - which was extended to 3 yrs out! I did a chat with support, sent them a picture of my first generation Apple Watch and will get a replacement sent out this week! I'll get the same version of the watch (like for like replacement), which I'm completely fine with 🙂

User uploaded file

Aug 31, 2018 6:03 AM in response to Dazzem

User uploaded file

User uploaded file

Hi, I am having exactly the same problem with an Iwatch Series 3 and I'm furious. After 3 months of use I put the phone for charge overnight and woke up, put the watch on and then noticed that the screen had literally fallen out of its casing. I absolutely did not knock, damage or submerge the phone.

Went into the apple shop, they were pretty positive about replacing it (but wouldn't guarantee anything) and they sent it off for repair. 1st response came back concluding that I had accidentally damaged it and that there was a point of impact on the edge of the screen and asked for £280 for a new unit. I replied that I had not and escalated the case to the 2nd level of Apple Support. After a week they came back with exactly the same response.

I received the phone back into the store and demanded an appointment with a Senior Advisor. He inspected the phone with his senior technician and concluded the same thing. Essentially they said that I'd hit the edge of the screen in such an acute way that the entire screen had cracked around the rim. They said that this can happen in rare cases and that I'd been "extremely unlucky". Clearly

I explained to the Senior Advisor that there simply must be a manufacturing / design problem with this watch if I've managed to cause such severe damage without even noticing that I've knocked / dropped it. I also explained that if that's what happened and the watch is so weak then Apple shouldn't be marketing it as a sports / activity watch. I also questioned how if I had dropped the watch did the screen not have any cracks, and asked practically how a point of impact on the side could cause the whole screen to detach from all sides. Again they didn't have any answer but said that it was extremely unlucky but they have protocols and there's nothing they can do.

As such my options are 1) stop using the watch I'd paid £350 for 3 months before; 2) pay Apple a quite extortionate £280 for the repair (80% of the price of a new one - so much higher than with screen repairs on Ipads / Phones); 3) take to a 3rd party repairer although none I've found will touch Series 3 screen repairs.

I've had 6 Apple Iphones in my time, 3 Ipods, 1 IPad, 1 Iwatch and Airpods and I've never complained. I feel like this is outrageously bad customer service but am struggling with how to proceed (I've been advised that I can raise a complaint with Apple Support but that they will refer it back to my local store - talk about round in circles!).

Any ideas ?

Oct 11, 2017 4:41 AM in response to Jonathan UK

My replacement watch is on the way as I type this reply. Last week I contacted Apple support on the 800 number. They said they are replacing the first generation watches under 3 years old due to a “swollen“ battery. They shipped me a prepaid box to return the watch in. I sent that back on Monday, October 9 and received a message yesterday that my replacement watch has been sent. I expect to receive it today or tomorrow. Thank goodness I contacted them. There was virtually no hassle. I am thrilled.

Mar 7, 2018 5:06 PM in response to bejeweledj9

After mailing mine in and being told "it is not a battery issue" and then going into the store and having them say "looks like the battery is starting to swell" I would take it in. They told me that as these batteries start to get old and wear out they have a tendency to expand. It might help if they look at it and document what they see when it gets mailed in.

If they will not fix it, you can buy the two sided 3M tape for it on Amazon for a few dollars. This is what I ended up doing and it has been fine for my daughter.

Apple Watch face fell off.

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.