Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Garageband AU not working after High Sierra update

I Updated to High sierra and now all of my Garageband Projects are giving me a warning that AU cant be loaded, or needs an update. I Did all of my keyboard tracks with Sonivox 88 ensemble and now they won' work.

In The preferences menu I cant even select or deselect enable Audio Units!

Any Help would be great, and yes I've done the delet info.list stuff already

Thanks

Mac mini

Posted on Sep 29, 2017 12:02 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Sep 29, 2017 5:25 PM

I did check and I cannot uncheck the AU plug in box in the preferences. I believe the issue does fall with Apple/Garageband, but don't you think they would catch that in their testing?

I don't know where to turn to resolve this. All of my AU plug ins are up to date...and they don't work. I do have one plug in that can work as a stand alone app and it works fine.

I assume this is the same error you receive?

User uploaded file

41 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Sep 29, 2017 5:25 PM in response to MrBubbaHyde

I did check and I cannot uncheck the AU plug in box in the preferences. I believe the issue does fall with Apple/Garageband, but don't you think they would catch that in their testing?

I don't know where to turn to resolve this. All of my AU plug ins are up to date...and they don't work. I do have one plug in that can work as a stand alone app and it works fine.

I assume this is the same error you receive?

User uploaded file

Sep 29, 2017 1:33 PM in response to MrBubbaHyde

Just so you're aware, you're not alone. I have Garageband for Mac (latest version whatever that is). I upgraded to High Sierra when it was released. None of my Audio Units work now. It has nothing to do with 64-bit or 32-bit as some of my Audio Units are 64-bit and those still don't work.

I can't find any information about it on-line.

HELP!!!

Sep 29, 2017 4:40 PM in response to Zoppo

Do you have the same issue as me? If you go into garageband preferences you can't even uncheck the Enable Audio Units tick mark! Won't let me do anything!

I Have gone round and round with Sonivox, and softube and they both claim it's not an issue on their end, But it's an issue with AU Instruments and Plugins as Expand2! Isn't functional either.

Now I'm stuck with any musical progress until this is resolved, and was just about to send out 4 songs for mastering at the beginning of next week. I'm also afraid to do a rollback because I don't want to take the chance of losing anything.

I can also say I came here because some of the plugins work in Pro Tools so I Believe it's a Garageband issue. If You wouldn't mind check your preferences and see if you can enable or disable Audio units, under the midi tab...

Thanks

Sep 29, 2017 7:24 PM in response to Zoppo

Yep same message on my plugins as well, been in contact all day with the makers of the plugins, especially sonivox, and they are telling me there should be no reason for the problem, softtube and some other makers of plugins are directly saying do not update to high sierra, wish I knew that before hand...now I'm stuck.

Here is the Sweetwater page I wish I knew about for anyone reading this...hopefully before you update!

First Time I have ever had an issue with an Apple update.....On a side note My Chrome browser is affected as well

https://www.sweetwater.com/sweetcare/articles/high-sierra-macos-10-13-compatibil ity-information/

Sep 29, 2017 11:00 PM in response to MrBubbaHyde

I chatted with Apple support earlier. They weren't surprised the plug ins don't work. I asked why they didn't test that first, but no good answer. Their final suggestion was to uninstall the plug ins and reset Garageband; not even sure what that means.

Probably be a while before a fix is out. I'm shocked that more people aren't complaining.

Sorry you're having problems too. I just play around with Garageband so it hasn't hampered me too much. And my Novation keyboard is working fine with the update. I've seen no other software or other incompatibility problems.

Sep 30, 2017 10:46 AM in response to Zoppo

No Luck with any of the suppliers of the various plugins, which means we are either gonna have to wait around for them to finish the testing on their own to see if they need to update, or Apple explains why certain AU plugins work and some don't, I say that because it makes no sense that it will work in one DAW but not garageband.

I use GB allot for basic laying down of tracks for people who need to get a demo done, or if I'm writing myself, once thats done I usually port the stuff over to pro tools for the real work to begin, and now thats all on hold until this is fixed.

I have a small home studio and help local people who either can't afford, or aren't ready for a full blown studio session.

I hope someone address this issue soon as I believe the grayed out enable AU in the preferences is causing some sort of issue, but I will also blame it on myself for downloading it. If it had said BETA DOWNLOAD AT YOUR OWN RISK, I would have never done it as everything was working great, and never an issue.

Hopefully some resolution will come

Hope yours gets better, cuz mine seems to be getting worse, I now have issues with Chrome not remembering sign ins and passwords...what a pain...Live and Learn

Oct 4, 2017 2:13 AM in response to MrBubbaHyde

Update,

So far there doesn't seem to be a fix for this, I have emailed and screenshotted myself silly!

No one of the manufacturers of these plugins can figure out why they will not work within GB when they are working in other applications.

In other words the Plugins are on the system/Authorized properly no reason for them not to work as the did before the High Sierra Update.

Oh well, guess it's time to call Apple......

Oct 4, 2017 9:30 AM in response to MrBubbaHyde

I appreciate your persistence. Since the issue isn't a showstopper for me, I'm living with it for now. But I have a bunch of custom AU plugin patches that I've created and can't use. 😟

I gave thought to restoring my system to pre-High Sierra via Time Machine, but that seems like a lot of work and the potential to make things MUCH worse. So I'm being patient.

Still surprised that there aren't more people complaining about this. There have to be tons of GB users and lots with AU plugins. I've Googled it, but nothing comes up. Strange.

Even stranger that Apple didn't catch this...

Let me know how it goes. And thanks for the updates and your time trying to resolve this!!

Oct 9, 2017 3:49 AM in response to Zoppo

Update....Not good

I found that only one Plugin, Sample Tank from IK multimedia is functional as an AU instrument, but thus is the only one I have that is working.

Now they guy at Sonivox I was working with is OUT of the office until Oct 23rd....UGH

I wonder if Logic users are having the same issue but I have no way of finding out, Maybe someone could chime in, as information, fixes, workarounds are Zero from what I've found.

Oct 9, 2017 12:16 PM in response to MrBubbaHyde

Unfortunately, I cannot give you any feedback on Logic Pro as I don't have that.

No change on the Garageband side. No plugins that I've purchased or added will work. There is more and more chatter on the Web about it, but no fixes or resolutions. My plugin manufacturers haven't updated anything for High Sierra yet. Nuts!

I have one plugin Addictive Keys Grand Piano that also works as a standalone app. I deleted and reloaded that app and it does work as a stand alone app with my Midi Keyboard, but it still doesn't work with Garageband as a plug in.

I hope it gets fixed soon...especially for you since you have more riding on these plugins.

Oct 9, 2017 6:04 PM in response to Zoppo

Thank You anyway, I forgot to try Addictive keys, I also have that.....

Will probably make a call to apple support, mainly because I would assume most users are content with the Standard GB Instruments, and users of higher end DAWs, pro tools etc. aren't having a problem, as I said previously I prefer doing basic tracking in GB then I will port over to Pro tools, mainly for the mxing console and a little more exactness of the mixes there.

I also saw a thread where no Melda plugins are working, so this has to be a problem that needs someones attention besides ours...Lol

Thanks and Good luck...

Garageband AU not working after High Sierra update

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.