Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Printing problems with High Sierra

Since updating to High Sierra, printing appears to be broken.

I have an iMac, and an Epson PX730WD. The iMac is wired ethernet connected to the LAN, the printer connects to the same network via wifi. All worked fine under Sierra.

Attempting to print to the printer under HS gives an unspecified Communication Error. Resetting the printing system gives an error when trying to add the printer, either as AirPrint or using the Epson driver. Connecting the printer via USB seems to work correctly.

I can ping the printer in Terminal, and the Epson status webpage works correctly, so the printer is connected to the net OK.

Thoughts??

Thanks

Geoff

iMac with Retina 5K display, macOS High Sierra (10.13)

Posted on Oct 4, 2017 10:28 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Oct 19, 2017 1:30 AM

Seem to have accidentally found a work around for this. Epson support stated trying to reset the printer queue and install several times until it worked but it never did. Then this worked for me.

1. Reset the printer queue
  2. Enable the CUPS interface
    enter "cupsctl WebInterface=yes" in a terminal window
  3. Access CUPS via a web browser on port 631http://localhost:631/
  4. Select the Administrator tab and Add Printer
  5. Go through the options, selecting the right printer driver etc
  6. Print!

It worked for me. Printer then appears in System Preferences and other communications work like Check Supply level.

65 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Oct 19, 2017 1:30 AM in response to gcusick

Seem to have accidentally found a work around for this. Epson support stated trying to reset the printer queue and install several times until it worked but it never did. Then this worked for me.

6. Print!

It worked for me. Printer then appears in System Preferences and other communications work like Check Supply level.

Jan 16, 2018 1:45 PM in response to Sheltiedog2

Open the Terminal App

User uploaded file

Enter the following command

cupsctl WebInterface=yes

User uploaded file

Open a browser:

Edit the address to

localhost:631

In Section "CUPS for Administrators" select "Adding Printers and Classes":

User uploaded file

In Section "Printers" select "Add Printer"

User uploaded file

In section "Discovcered Network Printers" select your printer type:

User uploaded file

Follow the configuration steps for your printer type. Just keep the defaults for the first setup.

Finally you can find your printer in the "Printers" menue:

User uploaded file

You find your printer as expected in the system settings for the "Printers and Scanner"

User uploaded file

Nov 26, 2017 4:03 AM in response to croircred142

I have recorded a Quicktime video of adding the printer via CUPS. Note you may have one more step to authenticate with your Mac system password.

No quick way to find the driver but you will be presented with a long list of the installed drivers. These are fairly human readable based on the printer type.

Video is on

https://ibm.box.com/v/high-sierra-epson

The original instructions are

6. Print!

Hope this helps.

Oct 5, 2017 2:01 AM in response to leroydouglas

I've checked, and the updated printer driver has already been installed by Apple Update. The problem persists, though. The printer is visible on the network, directly by its IP address, via the Epson Printer Finder utility, and from the macos print queue screen (show printer webpage). If I connect the printer via USB, it seems to work correctly.

So what's going on. Or do I have to wait for macos 10.13.1 to fix the problem?

Oct 8, 2017 9:23 AM in response to nonscordarmi

Me too. I’d worked through all the steps I found online, then spent an hour on the phone with Apple support, going through most of it again, and then a further hour plus email with Epson support, going over it all again plus a few more steps.

Then, yesterday afternoon (UK time), an Apple Supplemental Upgrade appeared. Installing it fixed the problem in one. How many times have Apple’s OS updates, on all their devices, left simple things broken? Do they have a QC department, other than users, and what do they do with beta-tester feedback? Or are the beta testers so starstruck with new features that they ignore the bread-an-butter stuff?

Oct 15, 2017 3:37 PM in response to gcusick

I own this big time; I downloaded High Sierra 10.13. developer beta - I have an Epson WF3640. continually receive "filter failed." I have downloaded latest latest drivers (supposedly to address this issue) and even reinstalled printer firmware. To add to my misery, I have last day backed up with Time Machine so I assume the problem would now replicate. My bad!- "developer beta" - I should have known better

Oct 19, 2017 5:53 PM in response to gcusick

Latest 10.13.1 Beta (17B35a) killed it again for me. Reset printing system didn't work. Using the manual CUPS web page installer method didn't work. So I deleted printer and went to epson website and downloaded the latest version Epson Software updater (which references high Sierra). It found a common printer driver update and then I added the printer again and voilà!

Oct 19, 2017 10:09 PM in response to Todd Dixon

Turd of a thing! Worked a few times then filtered out again, so to speak. Back to the drawing board.

FYI each time it fails I get a system crash "QuickLookSatellite quit unexpectedly". Fascinating. Wonder if its permissions error somewhere perhaps and the quicklook process is getting upset when its possibly indexing the print file or something. Mind starts ticking... Now to go hunting again.

Oct 19, 2017 10:34 PM in response to Todd Dixon

Ok. Got it going again. Went to printer in system preferences. and clicked Options Supplies and ascertained the local webpage for the printer (in my case epson2860a8.local) and then added a new printer using 'add new printer or scanner' (don't select from list of nearby printers). Click IP tab and then paste in the that address. I used LPD connection method. We'll see how long that lasts.

Oct 20, 2017 4:36 AM in response to jani38

Hi. Try this link. http://tech.epson.com.au/downloads/product.asp This takes you to the drivers and utilities for my printer ( workforce wf 3640). At the bottom of the page are the utilities. The Eason software updater is one of them and it should do the job for all current models. If it can’t find any more updates then try my second solution to get my model working.

Printing problems with High Sierra

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.