You can make a difference in the Apple Support Community!

When you sign up with your Apple ID, you can provide valuable feedback to other community members by upvoting helpful replies and User Tips.

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

iOS11 notifications disappearing from lock screen

Hi,

I’m using an iPhone 8 running iOS 11.0.2 and I’m finding that text message notifications are disappearing from my lock screen. For example, I received a message at 4.45pm and it appears on my lock screen, however if I don’t open it and leave it to deal with later, it has disappeared from my lock screen (phone has not been unlocked since). It is also not showing in my notification centre. Has anyone else found this or does anyone know a fix for it?

Thanks

Posted on Oct 7, 2017 11:13 AM

Question marked as Top-ranking reply

Posted on Oct 7, 2017 1:51 PM

There are two types of notifications: Temporary and Persistent.

You can select which ones you want in Settings > Notifications.

If still an issue, perform a Restart.

Restart your iPhone, iPad, or iPod touch - Apple Support

240 replies

Oct 18, 2017 9:19 AM in response to Hannahxjayne2330

I'm having this problem too and it's really annoying. It doesn't have to do with the temporary vs. persistent for the banners. I'm surprised more people aren't having this issue. I rely on my lockscreen to tell me if I have a text message, if it doesn't show on the lockscreen, or in older notifications, then I don't think I have one. When I unlock the phone, the badge app icon will show unread text messages. As far as I can tell, this is only occurring with text messages, not mail, phone, etc.

Nov 9, 2017 5:48 PM in response to Hannahxjayne2330

There is no way.
But you're lucky they just disappear.
Mine, I can't even swipe down to access notifications as the whole thing crashes.
I can't even use volume up or down but the home button and touch screen do work.
Only a hard reset takes care of it. But it happens every now and then.
Now with my iPhone 8 plus, I have yet to encounter it. But I do get tons of crashes.

Here's a picture of my 6s. Notice I have no icons up top? It means the whole thing has crashed to a point of no control center, no notification screen, no "search" screen. No swipe left/right.

iOS 11 is just garbage.

User uploaded file

Nov 8, 2017 4:18 PM in response to Hannahxjayne2330

I chatted with an Apple Support rep who says you have to update your iPhone from iTunes on a computer. He claims this issue happens to people who updated their iPhones to or after 11.0.1 from their phones, and if you update from a computer it will solve the problem. If you've already updated to iOS 11.1, follow these directions to override: https://support.apple.com/en-us/HT201263

I am not at home now and so haven't tried this. But curious to know whether others meet with success.

Oct 11, 2017 7:17 AM in response to ddf82

Mine gets working for a day but will blow out. It may be a notification from a program is bad. I am going to stop all notifications and see if that helps then add a program at a time to see which one it is that’s crapping on the this. Also may be a widget so was going through them already as I have a bunch of junk there.

Oct 20, 2017 6:55 AM in response to Hannahxjayne2330

I’m having this issue as well. I’ve tried changing banners from temporary to persistent but being “persistent” just got on my nerves. I’d be in the middle of something and it wouldn’t go away when my phone was unlocked. However, the notification still went away from my lock screen almost as fast as I received the message but sometimes the message stays, or it’ll keep one message and clear others. Very frustrating! I have a 6S and wondered if it was just this phone because there’s been other issues, too. I went to bed last night with one message on my screen then woke up to nothing on my lock screen and had 3 more messages.

Oct 24, 2017 5:31 PM in response to Hannahxjayne2330

I’m having the same issue, if I don’t swipe into the message notification straight away and leave it sitting there, within minutes it has disappeared. It leaves the little “1” on the messages app but no push notification anywhere. I’ve also had massive glitches with the notification centre where, say I have a Facebook messenger notification, then a couple of Twitter notifications underneath, the Twitter notification directly below the messenger notification will overlap the messenger notification and appear as a twitter notification. So I’ll have the same “Twitter notification” in there twice, but when I swipe to open the one that was originally a messenger notification it will get into messenger even though it appears as a twitter notification. Does that make sense?? It’s driving me crazy.

Oct 27, 2017 5:27 AM in response to Hannahxjayne2330

I’m having the same issue, if I don’t swipe into the message notification, and instead leave it sitting there, it just disappears. It leaves the little “1” on the messages app, but no push notification anywhere. It's driving me crazy. I've tried everything, from uninstalling specific apps, to turning off my Apple watch, to completely resetting my phone and set it up as new. Nothing works! I've turned off "show in history" for now, as this thread says... hopefully that does something. iPhone 8, iOS 11.0.3. I hope this is fixed soon!

Nov 1, 2017 4:48 AM in response to Game centre

Agree with posters above - I also had this issue in iOS 10 on my iphone SE. Thought upgrading to new OS and new iPhone would resolve it. Am extremely disappointed that even after a full factory reset this is still happening. Only solution so far has been to turn off "show in history", but as poster above notes, this is not a good "solution", it's a workaround.

iOS11 notifications disappearing from lock screen

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.