Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

15" Macbook Pro 2017 keyboard problem.

I have a 2017 15" MacBook Pro and was disappointed to discover recently that you get two presses for every one with the H key. I took this to the genius bar today and was told that it needed an new top case. Fortunately it's under warranty because the total cost including VAT would have been around £500. I'm concerned that this new second gen butterfly keyboard is not reliable which I find unacceptable on a device that cost me £2699. How long will the new keyboard last? Clearly if it's a weakness in the design or manufacture, then the replacement could well suffer the same issue eventually. I barely even use the keyboard since for most of the time I use a Bluetooth one. Who else out there has suffered 2nd gen butterfly keyboard failures? Is this going to be "keyboardgate" or isolated incidents affecting only a small number of devices...

Posted on Oct 8, 2017 6:36 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Dec 24, 2017 7:17 PM

I had experienced keyboard malfunction three times since I purchased my MacBook pro last July 2017. And thought of replacing the keys on my keyboard. Lucky, I troubleshoot first and perhaps this could work for you too.

Go to system preference from Apple menu, and click "accessibility" and choose keyboard on the menu bar. The options under Hardware and accessibility keyboard should be all unticked.

Now, click "mouse & trackpad" on your status menu, make sure the three options are deactivated.

:-)

43 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Dec 24, 2017 7:17 PM in response to FFWest17

I had experienced keyboard malfunction three times since I purchased my MacBook pro last July 2017. And thought of replacing the keys on my keyboard. Lucky, I troubleshoot first and perhaps this could work for you too.

Go to system preference from Apple menu, and click "accessibility" and choose keyboard on the menu bar. The options under Hardware and accessibility keyboard should be all unticked.

Now, click "mouse & trackpad" on your status menu, make sure the three options are deactivated.

:-)

Mar 20, 2018 4:07 AM in response to jude_x

I have this issue with the spacebar which is gives two spaces even though it was hit only once.

Found a way to replicate two days ago, see the video here March 2018: Apple Macbook Pro 13" Keyboard Double-Spacebar Issue!

Overall I am really frustrated with this new keyboard.

And also Apple is selling a lot of refurbished macbook here in Singapore mainly because a lot of people may have issues with the new keyboard https://www.apple.com/sg/shop/browse/home/specialdeals/mac

Jun 24, 2018 11:01 AM in response to jude_x

To all of you,

May be here good news.

Apple has started a repair program for MacBook Pro’s 2nd Generation Ultra-thin Butterfly Switch Keyboard, because according to Apple a small percentage of the MacBook and MacBook Pro models in use suffer from this. This program applies to MacBook models from 2015 up to and including today.

Please read this article: Keyboard Service Program for MacBook and MacBook Pro.

(video) Has the MacBook Pro’s 2nd Generation Ultra-thin Butterfly Switch Keyboard Improved? >> Has the MacBook Pro's 2nd Generation Ultra-thin Butterfly Switch Keyboard Improved? - YouTube

Oct 15, 2017 9:51 PM in response to jude_x

I have almost the same problem with my H key but when I brought it to the apple store they didn't offer to replace mine. All they did was check for debris under the key. Now because of me having to press on the key with more pressure, the key cap is popping out of the top case. It looks like the hinge keeping the key cap to the laptop is broken smh. I'm pretty sure they are going to charge me a boat load of money to repair it.

Nov 10, 2017 6:35 AM in response to jude_x

I have the same problem, I sent to the repair center at stormfront my macbook pro 2017 on waranthie with a problem in the n key but perfectly working and they asked me £500, I asked to have back my laptop and after try to insist with me to pay they told me my new macbook pro wasn't turning on more. I carried the laptop to apple and they asked me to pay at the beginning £399 because was trigged the liquid sensor, obviously I haven't any problems with water and after discuss with a very aggressive technical person the next day they asked me to pay £800 to repair the laptop. After 10 different calls with senior people at Apple all of them after saying they were take care at the problem they never call me back. Now I am without my laptop and the Apple repair center sent me an email state I have to collect my laptop not fixed before 5 days.

Nov 17, 2017 10:40 AM in response to jude_x

I had the top case/keyboard replaced on a 2016 15" twice, meaning three different keyboards failed.

The 2017 I have seems to be OK so far.

It's been suggested that heat is a problem - my 2016 had the 460 GPU, which may have overheated the butterfly mechanism of certain keys and warped them, causing the problem.

I'd suggest letting them replace the top case/keyboard, and if the problem persists request a replacement machine.

Dec 19, 2017 12:46 PM in response to jude_x

Ironically enough, I experienced the same problem. First with a MacBook (with the first generation butterfly switch) and now with my 15" MacBook Pro (second generation butterfly switch). The first time was the space bar, in which the butterfly switch on the right-hand side physically broke (causing the shift bar to be even lower on the right side then the left; it would not register any keystrokes on the right side). This time, it is the "B" key (which sometimes works and other times either registers multiple keystrokes with a single press or no keystrokes at all). The first time, they had to send the MacBook in to a service center to have the entire top case replaced. It looks like that will be the solution for my current MBP as well.

I am posting here not to provide any solutions for you, but to share frustration. Hopefully Apple reads these forums and does something about what is obviously a defective design flaw. I have been using computers for all my life and have never experienced keyboard issues before, ever... That is until I started using the new Mac laptops with the butterfly mechanism. Two keyboard failures in about two years causes me some significant concern.

Jan 14, 2018 9:30 PM in response to jude_x

I have had 2 appointments with my local Authorized Apple dealer now. My T key only works about 25% of the time. First appointment they said come back Monday and we will replace the key. I go in, and they say that is BS, they have to replace the whole keyboard and I will take 5 days and you can't have your computer in that time. I run a business, I can't be without my machine for 5 days, so they said try and an Apple store. My nearest Apple store is 80kms away, I go back through Apple support and they put me on to the store and they say 10 days minimum!!! This is hardly acceptable service for a machine that cost over $6K AUD. Really really unhappy right now!

Jan 15, 2018 5:48 PM in response to jamesfromgwynneville

I had this happen to a MacBook and a MacBook Pro. Both of them with the newer butterfly keyboard mechanism. In both cases, they needed to send the entire computer in for repair as they apparently had to replace the entire top shell (it is not possible to just replace a single key as was possible with more traditional keyboards). For what it's worth, the turnaround time on my MacBook Pro was only about three days, which was pretty quick. On the other hand, I was able to time the service around a vacation, so I was able to tolerate not having the laptop for a few days. If not for the vacation, being without my laptop for just shy of a week (as in your case) would be problematic at best.

Anyway, don't mess with the Apple store. Have them send you a box in which to ship it and take care of it yourself. It will go faster that way. (At least that was my experience.)

Jan 16, 2018 1:31 PM in response to jude_x

I also have the issue with the ‘h’ key on a MBP 13” touchbar. Bought a 2k€ device and after 1.5 months(!!!) the key only works with pressure not with regular typing. Very unhappy with this. In the Apple store they offered to change the entire keyboard. So after 1.5 months I will have a repaired product. *thumbdown* 7 hours waiting time in the store for an appointment. Very bad experience. I expect a higher quality from Apple. Next laptop will be a non-apple product again...

#keyboardgate

Feb 5, 2018 3:27 AM in response to jude_x

What is interesting that most of the broken keys are "B", "H", "N". Coincidence or design flaw? I'm experiencing same problem with 13" MBP Late 2017, my "N" key is working in only about 25% of time. Fortunately I'm still covered by warranty, unfortunately I don't have AppleCare so even with new keyboard I bet that same problem will reappear sooner or later. What is worst, that I'm really behaving to this MBP so nicely, so I don't know what I can improve on my side as user! I should have still chance to purchase AppleCare in 1st year from MBP purchase.

Question for Apple: What would you recommend us to do?

Feb 12, 2018 3:20 PM in response to jude_x

I have a 2017 MBP, waited to replace my ageing 2012 MBP and what a great computer! BUT.... new keyboard/top case at a month old and now at five months I have the start of bad keys again! I hate this keyboard and have recently found myself using the 2012 machine. If this is what you get for engineering the thinest £3k laptop then add a few mm and make the keyboard work. The MBP is a portable workstation and does not need to be the thinnest machine, how do we sort this out? Free upgrades to the 2018 slightly thicker model 😉 ?

Feb 28, 2018 12:57 PM in response to jude_x

For me it was the "B" key...same symptoms you describe. Unfortunately, I didn't do something about it until just after it was out of warranty...$514 w/tax....

Parts and Services

Item Number Description Price Amount Due Customer KBB
661-07954 Top Case with Battery, ANSI, Space Gray
Replacement Serial No: D867485A46NHDWCB4
$ 399.00 $ 399.00
S1490LL/A Hardware Repair Labor $ 79.00 $ 79.00
Total (Tax Not Included) $ 478.00 $ 478.00

15" Macbook Pro 2017 keyboard problem.

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.