Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Mail Preference keeps changing since High Sierra Update

Since the update to High Sierra, a Preference I set in Mail keeps changing itself.

I prefer the Classic Layout which is chosen from Mail > Preferences > Viewing and this takes effect correctly when I set the Preference, but it keeps dropping out every third or fourth launch so Mail reverts to the modern layout. Anybody else seeing this?

iMac (27-inch, Late 2012), macOS Sierra (10.12.6)

Posted on Oct 8, 2017 7:00 AM

72 replies

Dec 11, 2017 11:48 AM in response to JJGraphics

I was also having this issue after upgrading from Mavericks to High Sierra (yeah, big jump!). It was not only happening for Mail but other apps, it was basically forgetting the preferences and some settings from Mavericks were not moved over. I just completed a NVRAM reset and mail seems to be ok and so do my other apps now.

To complete the NVRAM reset do the following...

• Quit all apps
  • Shut down the Mac
  • Unplug for a minimum of 30 seconds, coffee or bathroom break is best 😉
  • Power on the Mac and hold down Command + Option + R + P (YES, all 4 keys at the same time) as soon as you power on. Continue holding the keys through the first beep (if we can even call it that) and DO NOT let go until you hear a second beep. All done!

You will instantly notice your screen brightness reset, proving the NVRAM reset is complete.

Hope this helps, best of luck.

This Apple article might help - How to reset NVRAM on your Mac - Apple Support

P.S. I don't have a 10.13.2 update available yet... Do you?

Nov 1, 2017 9:48 AM in response to JDBryers

I did not see this behaviour in Sierra, only since updating to High Sierra.

I have now noticed another problem: the customised Tool Bar which I set up changed back to the default Tool Bar. Along with the other things that keep changing, this is getting rather annoying.

Please report this to Apple. The more people who do so, the more likely they are to fix it.

Go here to make a report: Feedback - Mail - Apple

Nov 3, 2017 4:46 PM in response to Mike Weasner

Not only the classic view, but also other settings such as the frequency to check incoming mails, location to save attached files, using bold font for unread mails and plain text for message format, are all reset and changed back to the default. So this is apparently a bug rather than Apple’s conspiracy (^^

With me it has started after applying High Sierra and still contines even after 10.13.1 update, but I think I have found a workaround to minimize its inconvenience.

Until recently, every time the Mail settings changed back to default, I set it up again as I want, which was very irritating. But once, when I just quit Mail and restarted it rather than resetting it, my original settings came back ! Just restarting the Mail app is much easier and less time consuming than totally resetting it.

Next time you encounter the bug, please try this and check if it also works for you.

Nov 9, 2017 7:43 AM in response to JJGraphics

Ok, so I'm not alone. Had this happening to me since upgrading to High Sierra, and again this morning it switched from Classic Layout to the modern one. I'm currently running macOS 10.13.1 with all the patches, so I know it's not an issue of needing to update.

Apple, for heavens sake, please fix this. For those of us who use your mail client, it's beyond annoying. What is happening to the QC at Apple??

Nov 12, 2017 12:48 AM in response to Corgi Momo

Yes, it does for me . . . sometimes. Other times on a quit and re-launch, more changes occur such as a further change in the order of the mailboxes in the left-hand column and re-launching yet again does not restore my Preferences.

The only option then is to manually re-set the Preferences.

Whilst not "life-threatening" this bug is really irritating.

Nov 16, 2017 2:14 PM in response to JJGraphics

I will add myself to the list of people that are experiencing the same problem. I have a mid 2011 iMac and had no problems until the upgrade to High Sierra. It is so sad that Apple is now releasing software the same way Microsoft does, full of bugs and things that instead of enhancing the user experience are making it worse. The same thing happened with the latest version of IOS 11 and HomeSharing, it doesn't work properly and there is no fix in sight. At this rate, it will make more sense to buy Microsoft products. They may not be as good and they are more prone to viruses but for the average user like me, it will be cheaper and easier in the longrun

Mail Preference keeps changing since High Sierra Update

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.