Newsroom Update

Apple and Google deliver support for unwanted tracking alerts in iOS and Android. Learn more >

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

IOS11.0.2 Whatsapp Notification Delay

Hi

Since Upgrading to IOS 11.0.2 WhatsApp notifications have been delayed and only appearing when I open WhatsApp.

I have tried resetting network settings, backing up and resetting the handset and switching off and on - seems like a bug.

Please help!

Regards

Junaid

iPhone 7 Plus, iOS 11.0.2

Posted on Oct 10, 2017 6:58 AM

77 replies

Oct 18, 2017 1:08 AM in response to Junsy

Morning from the UK I got this from WhatsApp Yesterday, I followed it completely but it did not solve the notifications delay issue, I post it because if others get this answer it does not work.

brendan

Hi,

Sorry for the delay! We have received many emails recently, and we do our best to answer them all. Thank you for your patience.

When you receive a message or a call in WhatsApp, but are not online, WhatsApp will automatically send a message to the Apple Push Notification Service (APNS). This allows an alert to be displayed, even when WhatsApp is closed or when your phone's display is off. Most often, all that is needed to resolve WhatsApp notification issues is to ensure that all notification settings are enabled. Review the following FAQ pages for troubleshooting steps:

The message WhatsApp sends to APNS typically takes only a few milliseconds. Once the message is sent to APNS, any delays or failure to deliver the message as a push notification to your device are usually caused by issues with your phone or with network connection. Currently, all of our systems are operating normally.To ensure push notifications are working correctly on iOS 11, please don't force close WhatsApp. Frequently force closing apps can cause data loss and excessive battery usage.Note: Force closing is when you double tap the home button and swipe up on an app.If you are using iOS 7 or later, and are confident that you have all push notification settings enabled in WhatsApp and in your iPhone's Notifications settings, then there is likely an issue with your phone that WhatsApp cannot resolve. In this case, the following steps are recommended:

• Backup your entire phone to iCloud (http://support.apple.com/kb/ht1766).
  • After the backup is complete, erase all content and settings (http://support.apple.com/kb/HT2110).
  • Continue setting up your phone as a new device (don't restore from the iCloud backup).
  • Install WhatsApp and verify that push notifications are working correctly (have someone send a test message while your phone's display is turned off).
  • Erase all content and settings and restore from the iCloud backup.

Thank you for your understanding and cooperation.

Kind regards,
Davy
WhatsApp Support Team

Oct 19, 2017 4:58 PM in response to Junsy

Finally heard back from Whatsapp but the response is pretty much what happened already been said on this forum. Here it is anyway:

Hi,

Thanks for your message.

When you receive a message or a call in WhatsApp, but are not online, WhatsApp will automatically send a message to the Apple Push Notification Service (APNS). This allows an alert to be displayed, even when WhatsApp is closed or when your phone's display is off. Most often, all that is needed to resolve WhatsApp notification issues is to ensure that all notification settings are enabled. Review the following FAQ pages for troubleshooting steps:

The message WhatsApp sends to APNS typically takes only a few milliseconds. Once the message is sent to APNS, any delays or failure to deliver the message as a push notification to your device are usually caused by issues with your phone or with network connection. Currently, all of our systems are operating normally.

To ensure push notifications are working correctly on iOS 11, please don't force close WhatsApp. Frequently force closing apps can cause data loss and excessive battery usage.

Note: Force closing is when you double tap the home button and swipe up on an app.

If you are using iOS 7 or later, and are confident that you have all push notification settings enabled in WhatsApp and in your iPhone's Notifications settings, then there is likely an issue with your phone that WhatsApp cannot resolve. In this case, the following steps are recommended:

Backup your entire phone to iCloud (http://support.apple.com/kb/ht1766).

• Continue setting up your phone as a new device (don't restore from the iCloud backup).
  • Install WhatsApp and verify that push notifications are working correctly (have someone send a test message while your phone's display is turned off).
  • Erase all content and settings and restore from the iCloud backup.

Regards, Tom WhatsApp Support Team”

Oct 14, 2017 5:44 AM in response to Junsy

I have same issue on iOS 11.0.2 and before on iOS 11.0.2 and even the WhatsApp update did not solve problem

You would think WhatsApp would be pushing Apple for a solution as it’s obviously making people move to other message services

One thing I noticed although is that you get the first message notification but if you read it then the next one does come through so it appears the issue is around multiples of notifications but I might be way off mark as well.

Here to a solution soon as whilst I don’t rely on it as life and death I use it a lot

Oct 15, 2017 12:58 AM in response to Junsy

So last night UK time I have decided to reset my phone

i first deleted the WhatsApp app , saved my data etc

did update and restore

then reinstalled app

lets see if this solves ?

one thing I noticed is that if when you get a message notification, you open app and read it the next message seems to come through ok

but if you delay opening app and reading a message that’s when the background queue seems to occur - maybe ?

whilst Apple APNS may be partly to blame I think there is a WhatsApp issue also

Oct 18, 2017 8:49 AM in response to Iceman2372

I have been noticing the EXACT same issue!! It's very frustrating. I even sent Whatsapp Support a message but have not heard back from them.

This has been an ongoing issue since I upgraded to an iPhone 8. None of the updates have worked.

I am also noticing that, when I do get a notification on the lockscreen, when I try replying it says message failed to send. So then I have to open the app to give it that push to finally send the message.

I contacted Apple Support and their solution is that I reset my phone settings. I am hesitant to do that as it will require me to set up everything again. Don't want to do that unless that is the absolution solution.

Hope someone finds a fix soon!!

Oct 18, 2017 8:56 AM in response to Unadia

Yes, the same on my iphone 7. Whether we are in beta or not, obviously the problem is always present. Whatsapp will send you a typical response ... The reset will not solve much, other users have tried. Other messaging like viber works perfectly. On the other hand, I also have the problem with facebook messenger. I receive new notifications but when I want to answer, the message does not send itself without I have to open the application.

Oct 18, 2017 8:56 AM in response to Junsy

Ok so finally through the actions of a website called Whatsappen an answer has been got so please read the following link

https://whatsappen.com/news/5465/many-complaints-whatsapp-notifications-ios-11-u pdate-solution

It clearly say that the Bug is with Apple but WhatsApp are working on a real solution to be released in an update within a day or so.

I am one of those people that did factory restore and started as a fresh iPhone and it did not solve the message delay issues.

So whatch out all and let’s see if this is true and we get a fix very soon

Oct 20, 2017 5:24 AM in response to putr4sto

Unfortunately no but I’m ****** off as ****! This iOS 11 has been nothing but a disaster. I’ve had so many other issues, a list I sent to Apple Support and their response was reset iPhone to factory settings! This is a new iPhone, I shouldn’t have to do that.

Anyway, hope Apple fixes them soon. Meanwhile, the link someone posted above (Whatshappen) says Whatsapp is working on a fix. For now, they’re saying just leave your app running in the background. I’m so used to force closing the app but also do that because I don’t want people think I’m online when I’m actually not. Anyway, leaving the app open in the background does seem to push the notifications through.

Oct 20, 2017 9:16 AM in response to Junsy

I have a similar problem. When messages come through on the banner I have no contact name, just says ‘notification’ so I have no way of knowing who sent me the message til I open it. Apple don’t seem to think it’s they’re problem. I was advised to do a factory reset, which I did but makes no difference. All my notifications are on. I allowed WhatsApp to access my contacts, but nothing seems to work. It seemed to happen overnight. I would appreciate any advice.

Oct 20, 2017 1:29 PM in response to Newyork58

I think we have either been told by Apple and/or WhatsApp to do factory reset to clear out the bug that they are both saying is to do with all of us force closing the app

i don’t know anyone it has worked for

also check the WhatsAppen website that suggests they admit everything and that whilst it appears it’s a iOS 11 bug that WhatsApp are working on a fix through the app as well as hoping Aapple sort in iOS 11.1

i am not sure how you close an app other than force closing and to be honest whilst I know we are now told you don’t have to close apps I prefer too

IOS11.0.2 Whatsapp Notification Delay

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.