Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Safari password autofill not working in ios 11

If I input my username into a website the option on my keyboard will pop up to autofill my password. When I select it there is a glitch and nothing happens.

If I leave the username blank and select the password field first, then hit autofill, the box will pop up normally and I can select my username and the password will autofill. I then have to manually enter the username after.

This has happened since the ios 11 update. My office mate is having the same problem.

We have cleared our password queue in settings and put them back in, but the same thing is happening.

iPad Pro Wi-Fi, iOS 11.0.2

Posted on Oct 11, 2017 5:06 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Nov 10, 2017 3:45 PM

40+ people "have the same problem" and no response from Apple. Not even any way to uninstall and do a fresh install of Safari without reinstalling the entire OS and all subsequent updates which will take forever. Time to switch to Chrome permanently and forget about Safari. Apple's ecosystem getting weaker and weaker and less appealing by the year since Jobs passed. Competition stepping up and getting better every day. Soon, no reason to pay Apple premium price. Heard even the new MacBooks Pro's have way more bugs than ever before. No surprise, if they can't even get Safari and its Autofill to work properly nor address a user's concern here.

69 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Nov 10, 2017 3:45 PM in response to canuspellit

40+ people "have the same problem" and no response from Apple. Not even any way to uninstall and do a fresh install of Safari without reinstalling the entire OS and all subsequent updates which will take forever. Time to switch to Chrome permanently and forget about Safari. Apple's ecosystem getting weaker and weaker and less appealing by the year since Jobs passed. Competition stepping up and getting better every day. Soon, no reason to pay Apple premium price. Heard even the new MacBooks Pro's have way more bugs than ever before. No surprise, if they can't even get Safari and its Autofill to work properly nor address a user's concern here.

Apr 1, 2018 11:45 AM in response to aphid2aphid

Success! And port release notes. Just spent 30 mins with support chat.

Now you have to click into the password field. The keyboard will come up. In the top row, left hand side you will see “password”. Click on. That and you will get a drop down to select the info you want to autofill.

they are working on better information about the change. There is a one liner in the release notes about extra privacy controls but...

Give it a try. More keystrokes but at least it populates!

Dec 26, 2017 11:50 AM in response to canuspellit

I fixed this by deleting and recreating my contact card.

• Go to Contacts app and find your card.
  • Delete it.
  • Create a new card and enter your information, then click Done.
  • With the new card selected, go to the menu bar and select Card-->Make this my card.
  • Now go back to the card
    • Contacts will try and pull information it has seen in other apps (additional email addresses, phone numbers, etc).
    • Click the ℹ button next to those items and tell it to ignore them.

Mar 3, 2018 6:12 AM in response to jarmeearc220

I agree.

I bought a Macbook Pro for the first time Sept. 2017, within 2 days of it arriving it developed a trackpad fault. After a lot of wrangling with Apple and hours on the phone, I received a replacement. I like the product, but I am disappointed, I am experiencing one problem after another it seems. I paid 2100 Euro for my Macbook and the autofill now not working is one of many annoying problems on a 5 month old machine which should not be happening.

Some help from Apple to solve the issue would be nice.

Apr 1, 2018 4:12 AM in response to canuspellit

Like those above, I am also having username and password auto fill issues (on Safari) since the latest iOS update on my iPad and iPhone. All setting correct. I can click on the details that appear at the top of the keyboard to auto fill manually but I have never had to do this before. Usually the details fill themselves. Something seriously wrong and annoying.

Apr 1, 2018 4:52 PM in response to aphid2aphid

Yes i have just discovered this now i was going onto a website use every day to check out about tech and i noticed the password and username field were blank i thought this was weird so i thought maybe the website is having issues so then i tried FB/Twitter and them too arent autofilling my details automatically like before i have to click the username or email bar and do it manually which is really annoying ive noticed this across iOS/ MacOS. It must be a bug in 11.3

Apr 1, 2018 6:54 PM in response to MichealCollins

Hi, The support tech I was chatting with went to his second tier support and learned "Autofill changed with the iOS 11.3 update, it no longer automatically fills, it has the option to add the details." That's when I messed with it and found if you click into the ID or PW field, the keyboard will show and to the top left of the keyboard display it will say "Password". Click that and it will give you a drop down of user-id's for that web-site. Select the one you want and it populates ID/PW then as always.

It appears to be the new way.

Apr 7, 2018 6:51 AM in response to Lhledik

Lhledik, thanks for finding (and posting) a solution to this latest bug (“no, it’s a feature!” -Apple).

It works, but only with the on-screen keyboard.

Has anyone found out how to get passwords to autofill using an external keyboard?

The only workaround I’ve found so far is to turn off Bluetooth to force the on-screen keyboard to appear, select the password to autofill the fields, then turn Bluetooth back on and reconnect to the external keyboard.

Safari password autofill not working in ios 11

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.