Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

iPhone 8 on iOS11 keeps disconnecting from wifi

Ever since iOS 11 released my phone disconnects from wifi constantly. I know it is not my device specifically bc I had issues on my 6s+ and issues continued when I upgraded to an 8+. Has anyone else had this issue or have a fix for it?

Posted on Oct 13, 2017 12:10 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Oct 14, 2017 1:23 PM

Tried all of that and still having same issues. It happens on multiple wifi networks. I reset my router although I’m not having any issues on other devices, and also reset network settings as well as soft reset on my device. I actually updated software to latest 11.0.3 and it seems like it disconnects even more frequently after the update.

75 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Oct 14, 2017 1:23 PM in response to Teddy_B

Tried all of that and still having same issues. It happens on multiple wifi networks. I reset my router although I’m not having any issues on other devices, and also reset network settings as well as soft reset on my device. I actually updated software to latest 11.0.3 and it seems like it disconnects even more frequently after the update.

Nov 2, 2017 1:12 AM in response to brenden dv

I have the same issue. The wifi is getting disconnected constantly. I changed my iphone from 7 to 8 plus. With iphone 7 I did not have that issue even though it was with the latest update. I got the iphone 8 plus yesterday and from minute 1 I have this issue. I updated it to the latest version and tried everything it is suggested here but nothing worked. Please help.

Oct 14, 2017 7:23 AM in response to Corgetta15

Hello Corgetta15,

Thank you for using Apple Support Communities. It's my understanding that your new iPhone 8 has been unexpectedly disconnecting from Wi-Fi. I can see how this would be concerning, especially since you were experiencing this issue with your previous iPhone. I'm happy to help.

First, I recommend following the steps in the link below:
If your iPhone, iPad, or iPod touch won't connect to a Wi-Fi network

If the issue persists, let us know if this occurs with multiple networks. Please include any additional steps you may have tried.

Have a wonderful day!

Oct 15, 2017 2:08 PM in response to Corgetta15

Corgetta15,

Thank you for trying the suggested steps and following up. We recommend erasing your iPhone and setting it up as new. This will determine if there is a possible issue with the backup content. . It's a good idea to make sure you have a recent backup before trying this step. Follow the steps in the links below:
How to back up your iPhone, iPad and iPod touch

How to erase your iPhone, iPad, or iPod touch

If the issue persists without your content, contact Apple Support for further assistance.
Contact Apple Support

Cheers!

Dec 29, 2017 9:37 PM in response to Ace16-23

Hello Ace16-23

I have contacted Apple Support, spoken with multiple senior advisor's and to my surprise only 1 out of all of them knew about this Auto-Login or showed me that he knew.

Now he told me that it is supposed to work in that manner i.e (Disconnect when iOS device is locked and Re-Connect (2-4)seconds approx. when you wake the iOS device)

Auto-Login -> is used for Captive networks i.e Hotels,Restaurants etc.

Now if it's supposed to work in this manner there are a lot of issues:

1) When Wi-Fi disconnects the Cellular Data turns on that means you are using a Power-Hungry Chip which drains your battery a lot (I have done tests and compared)

2) For those who cannot afford to have a Cellular Data plans or afford to keep their Cellular data on since they may have a limited bandwidth.

3) In certain location Cellular Data doesn't work .

So in my opinion it shouldn't be enabled for every Wireless Fidelity network you connect to!

I have given this as Feedback to Apple and to that Senior Advisor !

If you also have it or if you know others who want a feature change please give feedback to Apple Product Feedback - Apple

Dec 1, 2017 10:13 AM in response to KiltedTim

I am not living in any country where there is an Apple Store unfortunately but will visit an Apple Authorized Service Provider ! Have spoken to countless Senior Apple Advisors !! And they all tell me since I have followed all these steps it is a Hardware issue but I have doubts about that !

I have tried

1. Restoring as New iPhone and not from Backup
  2. DFU restore (Downloading Firmware with iOS)
  3. Reset Network Settings

Nov 17, 2017 7:31 AM in response to TheNaik

Since October and IOS ~10.3.3 I have seen my WiFi connections dropout, causing havoc with my WiFi Calling. I'm on IOS 11 now - which still exhibits the issue.

My symptoms were after approximately 1 minute of phone-sleep, when I reactivated it - the topbar WiFi symbol would dropout in preference of 3G/4G - then re-establish a second or two later. During sleep no incoming calls could establish (which previously they did).

I have two home WiFi networks - one of which the phone exhibited the issue - one which it did not.

Tried changing the settings of the affected AP; Network Reset; hard rebooting the phone; replacing the AP with an Apple Airport Extreme; and factory resetting a phone. Three iPhones in total exhibited the issue - all > 10.3.3.

My SSIDs were 31 and 32 characters respectively between the working/non-working AP.

Obvious in retrospect - but I tried changing the problematic 32-char SSID AP to an SSID of 'Bob' - same long password - and the problem has now gone. A simpler nine character SSID is also good.

Try simplifying your SSID as part of your diagnostics?

Nov 17, 2017 9:44 AM in response to Dikssi

It's not stupid to ask questions if you don't know. Its the name of your WiFi network. You'll have to log onto your router to change it - but first - look under settings and see if "Wi-Fi" has a long name to the right, or a short name. Don't put-in the effort of logging into your router and changing something to potentially risk nausing-up your entire network if it doesn't look a good-fit for your particular issue (different people in this thread likely have different problems).

Nov 30, 2017 11:42 AM in response to Corgetta15

Same problem here with iPhone X and iPhone 8, both running the latest iOS 11.1.2

I've not had any issues before with iPhone 6 Plus and iPhone 7 Plus.

Hope that this can be fixed ASAP by the Apple engineers.

BTW, all of you, call Apple Support so that they know that they know it's not 5-10 people having this issues, there are many.

Nov 30, 2017 7:49 PM in response to DjTaym

I too am having the same problem with my IPhone 8! Switching from a 6S to an 8 and ever since, I’m repeatedly having to turn my Wi-Fi on and off to get the phone to work. I’ve reset router and reset all network settings. Brought momentary resolution and then starts to get hung up again. I notice it happens more frequently after watching a news clip or listening to audio. Factime is essentially useless with this problem.

iPhone 8 on iOS11 keeps disconnecting from wifi

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.