Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

remove a number from group text ios 11

How do I remove a number from a group text in iOS 11?

Posted on Oct 20, 2017 9:38 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Jan 20, 2018 10:42 AM

This works perfectly on my iPhone X. The conditions the group text needs to meet are as follows:

1. Everyone is actively using iMessage (your sent messages will appear in blue if this is the case, green if not)

2. There are already at least three other people, not including yourself.

If the group conversation does not meet both of these conditions, you will not be able to remove people from the conversation.

26 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Jan 20, 2018 10:42 AM in response to Michytb

This works perfectly on my iPhone X. The conditions the group text needs to meet are as follows:

1. Everyone is actively using iMessage (your sent messages will appear in blue if this is the case, green if not)

2. There are already at least three other people, not including yourself.

If the group conversation does not meet both of these conditions, you will not be able to remove people from the conversation.

Jan 6, 2018 3:20 AM in response to akeeny

Help, I need to manage group texts with at least 8 people, I need to be able to administer the group, I created it, but I see no “ name group“ no option to add or remove people either very frustrating as I have to start new session everytime someone wants out, and when I need a new person I also have to start a new session, it’s kind of stupid that this doesn’t work on either my iPhone 7 and iPad Pro with IOS 11

Jan 12, 2018 6:07 PM in response to crustyone

This is true... it’s frustrating. I can’t add or remove people from group chat, and neither can they remove themselves. Honestly this is stupid. Here I thought iOS 11 would actually come with better features I honestly dont understand. Whenever there is a new update, something from the previous software disappears... like iOS 10 used to have a Siri voice changer. But as I updated it, it’s no longer there?? Like seriously.. updates are supposed to be better. Like come on! Apple, please do something about it...

Mar 25, 2018 7:11 PM in response to RLB5635

Yeah same issue here. I think I had this same conversation a year ago. I coach my kids’ teams sometimes and not all the parents have iPhones. (I know wha?? Huh??). Inevitably after I send out the first couple texts some parent asks for the spouse to be added to the thread. Not sure the rationale for Apple to make such a simple thing such an issue. I mean is it spite? Because it can’t really be that hard. Maybe someone out there needs to develop a work around for this.

Aug 20, 2018 11:19 AM in response to akeeny

I am at a loss as well. Our problem is we have a group chat “Family” (all iPhones) , and one family member made a Second Chat, using all our same names, but accidentally used an SMS contact for one member instead of iMessage. Now we have one Blue thread and one Green Thread. Our messages “fork” - Some go to one and some tobthe other. Thevthreads merged on my husband’s phone, but in a Green SMS format.

I want to extricate and erase the second thread, and go back to the all- Blue iPhone thread.

How can I get rid of that SMS Green Chat?

Thank you!

remove a number from group text ios 11

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.