Want to highlight a helpful answer? Upvote!

Did someone help you, or did an answer or User Tip resolve your issue? Upvote by selecting the upvote arrow. Your feedback helps others! Learn more about when to upvote >

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Bluetooth not working High Sierra

Hi there,

Updated my OS a while ago (2 weeks?) and my Bluetooth isn't working ever since. Turned it on and off a few times, didn't work. So I decided to reset the Bluetooth module, that didn't work either. Neither did removing all connected devices.

The problem is that my Bluetooth keep searching for devices, but can't find any.

Any ideas on how to fix this? People with similar problems?

MacBook Pro (15-inch, Late 2016), macOS High Sierra (10.13)

Posted on Oct 23, 2017 2:08 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Nov 19, 2017 2:14 PM

I'm having 2 issues with bluetooth since updating to High Sierra.

1) Similar to you I have connection issues and in the bluetooth section of system preferences the option to delete the device is unavailable. Restarting the OS brings back the option to delete the device in system preferences and then a re-pair get's me back up and running. Having to do this at irregular intervals. No idea what triggers the connection issue.

2) The balance for music is off when using headphones with iTunes. I have bluetooth headphones that can also be connected with an analog aux-in. With the aux-in the headphones work perfectly. When I use the bluetooth function to stream the music the left earphone is far louder than the right. What the heck.

Please read this and help apple!

184 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Nov 19, 2017 2:14 PM in response to bronsrobin

I'm having 2 issues with bluetooth since updating to High Sierra.

1) Similar to you I have connection issues and in the bluetooth section of system preferences the option to delete the device is unavailable. Restarting the OS brings back the option to delete the device in system preferences and then a re-pair get's me back up and running. Having to do this at irregular intervals. No idea what triggers the connection issue.

2) The balance for music is off when using headphones with iTunes. I have bluetooth headphones that can also be connected with an analog aux-in. With the aux-in the headphones work perfectly. When I use the bluetooth function to stream the music the left earphone is far louder than the right. What the heck.

Please read this and help apple!

Nov 24, 2017 10:29 AM in response to bronsrobin

I have the identical issue with High Sierra. Since installing it I cannot transmit music from my MacBook Pro itunes program to any of the sources I previously did, in my case, two Vizio soundbars and a Bose speaker system. The bluetooth pulldown from the toolbar on my MacBook still recognizes these sources but when I then hit CONNECT it does not do so, even though the remote device indicated it was in the search mode before giving up.

I cannot believe that this is an inadvertent mistake on Apple's part -- it's just too big an issue to have been missed.

Only solution I can think of -- manual wire connection between MacBook and remote speakers.

Thanks a lot apple.

Nov 25, 2017 2:21 PM in response to bronsrobin

Since updating to High Sierra my Bluetooth is not working most of the time. I had ZERO issues before High Sierra and now I have to continually restart my MacBook to get Bluetooth working - if it works after restart. Sometimes it works, sometimes not. Please fix this Apple - annoying as **** and totally unnecessary. Early 2011 MacBook Pro 17".

Nov 27, 2017 10:47 AM in response to bronsrobin

Ever since updating to High Sierra, my Bluetooth keyboard and mouse just go in and out of connectivity intermittently. Totally frustrating! It makes my Mac practically unusable with my current hardware. I might have to go look in the garage for an ancient pre-Bluetooth technology mouse and keyboard. I wish I hadn't downloaded and installed this turd.

Dec 11, 2017 12:52 AM in response to bronsrobin

I have had exactly the same problem since update my magic mouse two cannot often be found by blue tooth but a 7yr old first generation magic mouse can ??

Bizzarly today it is back working after a weekend of taking to apple support and arranging for them to send me anew one under the warranty!

However I think I might just might have discovered the problem. not sure it Im accurate but I had a smart meter installed for my gas and electric meters and located it in the house near to my desk on sometime on my desk where the iMac is located. I unplugged it and let it run down (the smart meter not the mouse) and as a result I can now use the magic moue that came with this computer 10months ago.

Dont know here you are but try switching off any other blue tooth device in your home an see if it fixes it

Min

Dec 14, 2017 12:12 PM in response to Dallasblues74

Here is what Missy at Apple online support told me to do to hopefully fix this problem:

1st make sure that the device firmware is updated to the most recent.

Then do the following to try and isolate the problem:

Based on the details you provided, we think you might find the following information helpful:

How to reset the System Management Controller (SMC) on your Mac

How to reset NVRAM on your Mac

Use safe mode to isolate issues with your Mac

See if this helps anyone.

Dec 14, 2017 5:53 AM in response to bronsrobin

I've had the same intermittent bluetooth connectivity issues too with keyboard, trackpad and headset on my 2011 MacBook pro. I just installed the latest 10.13.2 update which didn't seem to fix it (yet). This fix works for a while - but I've had to do it several times:

1. Hold down Shift + Option keys, go to the bluetooth icon in the menu bar you'll see a "Debug" option
  2. In the sub-menu choose "Remove all Devices"
  3. then after that, choose "Reset Bluetooth Module"
  4. Shut down the Mac (not restart)
  5. Restart the Mac
  6. Reconnect your bluetooth devices

It's a pain in the @$$ to keep doing, but it works.

Hope this helps

Dec 20, 2017 10:49 AM in response to bronsrobin

After updating to 10.13.1 and 10.13.2, I've had some Bluetooth issues as well.

• Apple Bluetooth keyboard and mousepad stopped working even though Bluetooth was on and connected. I tried turning Bluetooth on and off. I had to restart the computer and reconnect them to get them working.
  • Apple Watch is connecting but then won't reconnect automatically when I come back into range. (I used to use my Apple Watch to login to my laptop but it no longer works.)

May 24, 2018 7:40 AM in response to bronsrobin

I have the same problem. I've narrowed the issue down (for me) to after my laptop is been put in sleep mode. And this is all the time. The ironic thing is I wake the computer up from sleep mode by typing on my bluetooth keyboard. It takes about 30 seconds to a minute after waking up from sleep mode before I lose the bluetooth connection. The only 2 temporary solutions I know are:

1. Restarting my macbook
  2. Once the macbook wakes from sleep mode, If I turn off and back on by bluetooth, then it stays connected.

Dec 9, 2017 2:17 PM in response to bronsrobin

I've macbook pro mid 2014 with Mac OSX High Sierra (today version 10.13.2). And I have a lot of negative experience with macbook bluetooth + bluetooth headset (Parrot Zik 3). There is no any issue with iOS + Parrot Zik 3, Android + Parrot Zik 3. So when I connect my headset to macbook on Sierra it was only issue when i checked Parrot headset Mic input (almost time it doesn't work), Mac OSX can't work properly with wireless microphones :-( But after updating to High Sierra 10.13.2 the sound in headset stutters after playing in some minutes. Apple, please, fix issue with Bluetooth!!!

Bluetooth not working High Sierra

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.