Apple Event: May 7th at 7 am PT

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Help! iPhone 7 went into boot loop mode and now is stuck in recovery mode and can't update or restore

Hi. I have a 128gb iPhone 7. I got it a little over a year ago, maybe a week or two after it was released. I am currently running the most recent version of iOS as well, and my iTunes software on my Mac is up to date as well.

Last night, as I was getting ready to sleep, my phone randomly went blank and looked like it was resetting (the type of reset you get from holding down the power button and the volume down button simultaneously. It went dark, then I held the buttons and saw the apple logo as expected. Waited a few seconds expecting to see my lock screen, but instead it went dark again, the apple logo showed up once more, and the process kept repeating. As if it was stuck in this reset/restart mode. It kept doing this and would not stop. I was just looking at facebook and then this occurred.

It was 2 AM and I was exhausted, so I didn't want to look into it too much then because I needed sleep. I plugged my phone into my laptop, followed instructions on how to put it in recovery mode, and finally it appeared in my iTunes. The phone's screen was that of a lightning cable pointed at the iTunes logo, with "support.apple.com/iphone/restore" at the top.

Anyways, my mac gave me two options: Update the software which hopefully will fix it, and if that doesn't work, then restore. I don't know what the update would have necessarily done because I am always running the most recent iOS, but I chose that option anyway. It downloaded the iOS, began to extract the file, and gve me an error saying that it can't be updated and I need to try restoring instead. I said okay. This is what as follows:User uploaded fileUser uploaded file

So it begins to extract the software, then it shows all that "waiting for iPhone" "preparing iPhone" dialogue. The phone goes blank as if its ready to begin the update/restore. Then, for a split second, I actually do see the progress screen on my phone. I'm referring to the thin progress bar line that appears whenever you're resetting settings, updating, restoring, etc. This one:User uploaded file

But it's only their momentarily. Then, unfortunately, the phone goes blank again and the screen lights up, sort of like you just restarted the phone again. And then it returns to the connect iPhone to iTunes screen with the link at the top and I get this error on iTunes:User uploaded file. I really don't know what to do. I've made sure my iTunes is up to date, I've restarted my mac, etc. I'm pretty sure my one year limited warranty is expired too and I really need this to be fixed. Does anyone please know a way to do this so that I don't have to bring it in? I am a college student and I am doing research at the moment. I need my phone and do not have any time whatsoever to go to an apple store.

Thank you for the help

iPhone 7, iOS 11.0.3

Posted on Oct 29, 2017 5:17 AM

34 replies

Feb 7, 2018 9:01 PM in response to liv0123

RECOVERY MODE INFO in relation to being unable to update or restore your device:

If you can‘t update or restore your iPhone, iPad, or iPod touch

You can put your iOS device in recovery mode, then restore it with iTunes.

In these situations, you might need to use recovery modeto restore your device:

• iTunes doesn't recognize your device or says it's in recovery mode.
  • If your screen is stuck on the Apple logo for several minutes with no progress bar.
  • You see the connect to iTunes screen.

Learn what to do if you see the progress bar on your screen for several minutes.

Put your device in recovery mode and set it up again

1. Make sure that you're using the latest version of iTunes.
  2. If iTunes is already open, close it. Connect your device to your computer and open iTunes. If you don't have a computer, borrow one from a friend or go to an Apple Retail Store or Apple Authorized Service Provider for help.
  3. While your device is connected, force restart it with these steps, but don't release the buttons when you see the Apple logo, wait until the connect to iTunes screen appears:
    • On an iPhone X, iPhone 8, or iPhone 8 Plus: Press and quickly release the Volume Up button. Press and quickly release the Volume Down button. Then, press and hold the Side button until you see the connect to iTunes screen.
    • On an iPhone 7 or iPhone 7 Plus: Press and hold the Side and Volume Down buttons at the same time. Keep holding them until you see connect to iTunes screen.
    • On an iPhone 6s and earlier, iPad, or iPod touch: Press and hold both the Home and the Top (or Side) buttons at the same time. Keep holding them until you see the connect to iTunes screen.User uploaded file
  4. When you see the option to Restore or Update, choose Update. iTunes will try to reinstall iOS without erasing your data. Wait while iTunes downloads the software for your device. If the download takes more than 15 minutes and your device exits the connect to iTunes screen, let the download finish, then repeat step 3.User uploaded file
  5. After the Update or Restore completes, set up your device.

Jan 8, 2018 5:40 PM in response to cryptwraith

From what I'm reading online this seems to be a recurring problem. My iPhone 7 died on me today out of nowhere. The software malfunctioned and the phone went into the same restart-loop. After consulting online support, as well as the Genius Bar at the Apple Store, I was informed that the phone had unexplainably malfunctioned and is beyond repair. I find it hard to grasp that an $700+ phone that is just a little over a year old, dies beyond repair because of a software issue. The "deal" we're receiving with an $340 replacement feels like a ripoff.

Feb 7, 2018 8:53 PM in response to ze3ity

Sure. So basically a 4013 refers to a restore issue when your device loses connection in some manner or it can't communicate with iTunes, upon trying to update your device again and/or during a restore.

After getting the iTunes logo screen on your device, then plugging it into iTunes, and putting the device in recovery mode, you'll see a prompt to update or restore.

I select "Update" first as a general rule.

Typically when your device shows a Connect to iTunes screen, it requires an update. Only restore if you must or simply want to.

Update option is selected by me.

User uploaded file

So, all appears well until.....these two prompts appear.

At this point, I FIRST try to manually put the phone in recovery mode so that it updates the device only. It will throw the two prompts below, off of the iTunes screen if so and the update will resume.

If this is successful/no errors appear, the device will gain a clean install of the latest software version via iTunes and device behavior will return to normal. You can stop here.

**If however, it demands a restore, I select Restore, then restore and update as per the prompts below:

User uploaded file

The process acts as though it's been initiated and begins the process.

*******>>> However, the 4013 code appears (see a fellow user's comments regarding this error prompt box below for more entailed info).

User uploaded file

This is the one I bypass:

At this point, I leave the prompt alone, then I manually put the device in recovery mode again.

Once the iTunes logo screen appears on the phone via me manually initializing it on the phone, the 4013 prompt disappears and the restore and update process resumes at the top of the iTunes screen.

At this point, I allow it to finish the process. Should the error reappear, I simply go back to the device and manually put it in recovery mode again. Restore starts up again and completes.

The device will then show the Hello screen and is now not only updated with a fresh clean software version but also, ready for setup and to restore data from your backup. Device should return to standard functionality after.

This process has been very effective for me in resolving this issue for many. It's a fairly common error for users.

Hope this helps ~

Credit: Thank you, Crypt for the screenshots you posted relating specifically to this. Big help in offering visual guidance in this post!

Oct 29, 2017 5:32 PM in response to cryptwraith

Hi cryptwraith!

I understand that you're unable to restore your iPhone, and I'm happy to help. Below are instructions that are specific to error 4013. Be sure to try a different computer and a different USB cable as stated in the article.

If you see error 9, 4005, 4013, or 4014 when you restore your iOS device

Thanks for using Apple Support Communities.

Cheers!

Feb 1, 2018 3:20 AM in response to 26AJ

Hi

Turn iPhone off Make sure your pc is running the latest iTunes 12.7.2 or later.

Connect lead to USB on your pc Press just the power button down on iPhone don't let go Connect lead to iPhone keep power button pressed down until pc sees iPhone Then wait for restore you may need to do this more than once Before it works.

Cheers

Brian 🇬-1F1E7;

Feb 6, 2018 4:28 PM in response to cryptwraith

I had the same problem. 28 days after the 1 year warranty expired. My phone went into a "boot loop", as you described, while I was sleeping. My phone has never been dropped, wet, cracked, or damaged in any way. Completely MINT condition, never saw the outside of a lifeproof case. I paid $801.42 for this 128GB iPhone 7, at the Apple store. 56 weeks later, it's useless.

Talked to Apple support online, they told me to restore it using DFU mode. It did the same thing as you described, [error 4013]. I made an appointment to the Apple store (which is 1.5 hours from my home). They said it was a "hardware failure". They told me that it would be about $320 to give me a replacement phone. I informed the tech guy that I was not willing to pay that much for my phone, and that I don't feel like I should pay anything for this same phone again, after paying the hefty $800 price tag to begin with. He said that the $320 was a "set" number, and that there was "no way to change the cost" I asked to talk to a manager. He told me he would bring me a manager. He walked away, and within 20 seconds, he returned. He stated that he spoke to a manager, and that after the manager reviewed the incident, that he would be willing to knock 50% of the cost of the replacement off. making it $160. He told me it was a "take it or leave it, one time deal". I told him I wanted to think about it for a minute.

While "thinking about it" I started talking to other customers in the store. One man had the exact problem as I had. Within a few minutes, I had about 12 people (potential customers) gathered around me listening to my story about my iPhone 7. The salesman noticed that I had their attention, and quickly came up to me and offered me a "14 day period to consider the deal". It was as if he was trying to get me from the store.

It was very, very shady practice.

But, in the end, they had me bent over a barrel, so to speak. I could pay $160 and have a brand new iPhone 7, or I would have to spend $800 to get a comparable Samsung or LG phone. It just wasn't in my budget to spend another $800, so I tucked my tail and ponied up the $160. I need to have my phone for work.

Rest assured, unless Apple does something to make this right, this will be the last Apple product in my household.

Feb 7, 2018 12:33 AM in response to cryptwraith

I've worked through this exact issue, step by step as you have documented. Your screenshots provide excellent examples of what happened and when.

Upon getting the 4013, I put the device right back into recovery mode while still plugged in. The error went away and the restore finished.

This happened on another device I helped with but I got the 4013 twice after the other steps. Once again, I ignored the error, and straight away, I manually put device in recovery mode each time. Error went away. Restore finished successfully on this one as well.

Phones haven't had issues since or I know I would've gotten a text or call.

*Also, both needed carrier updates. I quickly updated the carrier settings per the prompt, which is not a typical occurrence I find in helping with restoring devices. Interesting in both of these specific situations, that prompt appeared before setting up device after reset/restore process...

Side note: I restored both via latest version of iTunes (12.7 version) at the time and via a MacBook Pro

Feb 7, 2018 9:10 PM in response to liv0123

Thank you very much for your lengthy post, one other question that I have is does your loading bar pop up for like a split second? Mine does and when I try to do "recovery mode," which is hold the power and volume down until I see connect to iTunes (iPhone 7), it does not show a progress bar anymore and just continues to show the "recovery mode" image when trying to bypass the 4013 error code.

Feb 7, 2018 9:25 PM in response to ze3ity

That's the screen you want it on. That's the restore/recovery screen. What makes all the difference is you initiating it into this mode, even if it is showing on the screen already.

It needs you to manually put it in this mode to connect properly with iTunes and in turn, allow the update and/or restore to process.

Other issues that may interfere if it refuses to override after several attempts and you know you followed the steps exactly as stated & if it continues to "fight" you:

Make sure iTunes is up to date

Make sure computer is up to date

Disable security software as it can interfere

Check your usb cables and connections

Help! iPhone 7 went into boot loop mode and now is stuck in recovery mode and can't update or restore

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.