Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Iphone 8 Plus Freezing/Crashing/Restarting using iOS 11

I have had my iPhone 8 plus for a month now and haven't had any problems up until yesterday. Randomly it froze and crashed then rebooted itself. Things seemed to be fine after that for the rest of the day. Then, this morning I wake up and notice I needed to update to iOS 11.1 which I downloaded and started installing. Halfway through it froze, crashed, rebooted.

The rest of the day consisted of my phone working for 15 - 30 min, then freezing, crashing, and rebooting. Despite the frustration I was able to update to iOS 11.1 but it did not help. I also have all my apps up to date. I was advised by Verizon Tech Support to perform a factory reset, which I did and it did not fix the issue.

it will crash whether I have an app running/using my phone or whether I have it in my pocket with no apps running.

Anyone know what might be causing this or how I can go about resolving this issue? Any help is much appreciated.

Thanks!

Dan

iPhone 8 Plus, iOS 11.1

Posted on Nov 2, 2017 7:33 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Dec 11, 2017 7:37 PM

Had the same issue start less than a week ago. Might have been the same time when I upgraded IOS. Worst part is today it just wouldn't turn on, even after trying to hard restart.

If anyone has any solutions, it will be much appreciated.

36 replies

Dec 23, 2017 6:53 PM in response to Dpichardo112516

I just sent mine to an authorised Apple service provider and they replaced the phone in less than a week. They said the restarting was a common issue with a particular iOS update. They were not too certain about the freezing though. It's been close to 2 weeks now with the new unit restored from the same backup and NO issues so far... hopefully.

Jan 1, 2018 12:26 PM in response to DanimoDawaya

Having the Same Problem. I am in India in a city called Indore . I spend all this money on iPhone 8 Plus 256 Gb and it’s not even been a month . Phone is rebooting and switching off again and again automatically while not even using any third party app. Already restored the phone . Reset all the settings to factory. I am so disappointed and while I asked for the replace from Apple customer care in INDORE , they said they will have to submit the phone for 2 days and check for the hardware fault and in the diagnostics they said we cannot see any hardware issue . I don’t know what to do for the 11 months warranty remaining like go there and visit all 11 months and listen to this that restore it again and again and without even restoring the backup . Yes ! Running phone clean with email id , Facebook , Whatsapp that’s it . Anyone know if what can I do? I also have the video proof of 2 minutes of how my iPhone 8 Plus keeps restarting while even on home screen . Please help?

Feb 9, 2018 11:24 AM in response to DanimoDawaya

I am blown away at this horror show of a release.

I am seeing similarly unreliable experiences on my iphone8 plus and my wife's iphone x.

There is no meaningful response from Apple, so all I have are tons of anecdotal "fixes."

The reality is: on a brand new devices, with completely fresh installs of ios, there will be the need to hard reset your phone, force quit the messages app, constantly fiddle with bluetooth to have beats x work on each phone call, and wish that you weren't stuck with Apple's self-made mess.

Feb 19, 2018 9:49 AM in response to DanimoDawaya

I’ve had my iPhone 8 since October, I had this issue with the phone rebooting itself since about a month after purchase. It used to just happen every now and then, it became an almost daily thing about a month ago. Now it happens multiple times every day. I tried doing a factory reset & restoring my phone but the problem is still there. It used to be it would come back up right away after restarting but now it sometimes gets stuck trying to reboot & I’ll have to force a restart 5-6 times before it goes past the Apple logo. Considering I spent about $800 on this phone and $400 on an Apple Watch I think this is pretty crappy on Apples part to not even acknowledge this issue. It seems like it’s happening to more people than just me.

Feb 26, 2018 10:42 PM in response to DanimoDawaya

Similar issue appeared on my iPhone 8 Plus a week ago, and I just returned from Apple Store 20 mins ago. They told me to wait for 1-2 weeks for factory testing and will offer a replacement.

I can tell this is not a iOS capability issue, it could be caused by the bad quality control of the boards near the home button. Like the motor, the built-in microphone, etc.

Mar 2, 2018 12:35 AM in response to ColdnFrosty

They said the same thing to me when I sent mine in. It’s because they make you wipe it before they can touch it. So they don’t get the panic faults in the logs.

Hence why I took mine into the Apple store and they replaced it. You might want to wait for the crash to happen and go into the logs under Settings > Privacy > Analytics > Analytics data and find the panic.ips file and send that to support instead and just explain it won’t show if you wipe the phone till it’s used for a bit, but when it does that shows.

Iphone 8 Plus Freezing/Crashing/Restarting using iOS 11

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.