Apple Event: May 7th at 7 am PT

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

iPhone X notifications not working

Hi!

I have new iPhone X that got installed today (migrated from iPhone 7).

Even in settings notifications are enabled and configured.

Some of them are working and majority are not. Notifications comes to iWatch, but iPhone doesn't even produce sound or vibrate - nothing.

When I pick it up, I see notification in notification centre. I tested with messages and e-mails.

Any suggestions?

tx

iPhone X, iOS 11.1

Posted on Nov 4, 2017 2:18 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Nov 5, 2017 2:15 PM

Hello, IPnet!

Welcome to the Apple Support Communities. I see from your post that notifications are coming to your lock screen, but you're not hearing any alert to let you know they are there. I depend on my phone to let me know when someone or some app has tried to contact me. I am happy to help.

It sounds like you might have Do Not Disturb enabled on your new iPhone X. The following article has more information on this feature, including how to disable it: Use Do Not Disturb on your iPhone, iPad, and iPod touch

Let us know how it goes, and have a great day!
54 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Nov 5, 2017 2:15 PM in response to IPnet

Hello, IPnet!

Welcome to the Apple Support Communities. I see from your post that notifications are coming to your lock screen, but you're not hearing any alert to let you know they are there. I depend on my phone to let me know when someone or some app has tried to contact me. I am happy to help.

It sounds like you might have Do Not Disturb enabled on your new iPhone X. The following article has more information on this feature, including how to disable it: Use Do Not Disturb on your iPhone, iPad, and iPod touch

Let us know how it goes, and have a great day!

Nov 12, 2017 2:43 PM in response to jdye06

If you are using an Apple watch, as the OP was, and you are not receiving notifications on the iPhone, that very well could be by design. If you have the Apple Watch on and have Wrist Detection turned on, then notifications work differently, depending on the condition of the phone. See this support document. Notifications on your Apple Watch - Apple Support

If the phone is locked, notifications come to the watch, if the phone is unlocked, then notifications go to the phone.

Feb 21, 2018 4:03 PM in response to lemel

If you are using an Apple Watch, the way you receive notifications depends on your settings on the watch and iPhone. If the iPhone is locked you will get your notifications on the Apple Watch. If the iPhone is unlocked, and open, then the notifications will be on the phone. See this support document to understand how notifications work. Notifications on your Apple Watch - Apple Support

While you may receive notifications on both devices if you turn off Wrist Detection, that will disable several options for you on the Apple Watch, such as Apple Pay.

Mar 2, 2018 7:17 PM in response to Djm00

Try doing a network reset. I just did this and now I have my sounds back for keyboard, notifications ect.

1. From the Home screen, tap Settings > General > Reset.
  2. Tap Reset Network Settings.
  3. Type in the device password if prompted.
  4. Confirm selection.

Hope this helps. I am hoping it is a permanent fix and it doesn't go off again.

Nov 12, 2017 3:22 PM in response to jdye06

Hi!

Yes, support instructed me to go to Settings and Reset all settings (Settings - General - Reset - Reset all settings).

It's a pain as you will need to set all your customizations again and give permissions for notifications and location (I even needed to reinstall some apps as they can't reset notification settings in iPhone settings).

Well it helped me at least, but there is some bug probably in combination of using iWatch with restored iPhone.

Nov 16, 2017 8:02 PM in response to IPnet

I had the same problem. I wasn't receiving any notifications on my new iphone X, but I was receiving them on my old iphone 6s which was not in service anymore. I contacted Apple Support. It was suggested that I rest my network settings. I was then able to get calendar notifications only on my iphone X and my old 6s stopped getting notifications completely. It was also suggested by Apple Support that I completely reset my phone's settings, just as somebody else has mentioned being told to do. I was hesitant to do that, so I finally just did a hard reset on my phone (turned it off and back on) and that did the trick for me. Now I'm getting all of my notifications on the iphone X. I feel a little silly for not just trying the hard reset right away, but I hope it helps.

Jan 5, 2018 6:27 AM in response to brenden dv

My do not disturb is not on that was an issue last week I turned it off it worked fine until yesterday now neither the watch or the phone and letting me know when I get texts I’ve checked all the settings everything is fine something must’ve changed on its own because everything is so sensitive people are getting cold when I don’t want them to etc. could you please tell me any other reason why my texts would not be making any noises I missed three were super important text messages yesterday after I spent all the money on this technology what setting changed?

Thx

Feb 1, 2018 2:04 PM in response to IPnet

I have faced the exact same problem. Local Apple store replaced the device. The same exact problem continues. Plus in the last 48 hours I have had two much more significant problems.

(1) When I made a call to one of my contacts, I could not hear anything from the other person. I tried the speaker mode and then I could hear them. Tried to take off the speaker mode, again the same problem. So, I called a second contact with the same results. Powering the device down and powering it back up helped. My view is that if the latest and greatest can’t do the fundamental function I have no use for iPhone X.

(2) This morning while responding to an email the screen froze and there was a line from left side of the screen to about middle of the screen and couldn’t complete the task. Had to power it down and back up again.

I am seriously considering downgrading to a 8 or a 7. This is most frustrating.

Feb 8, 2018 6:30 PM in response to IPnet

For me the issue was solved by closing the iMessage app on my Mac. If you have iMessage running, you will not hear the notification sound on iPhone X. Not sure if it is a bug or a feature.

Try quitting iMessage (even signing out completely which is what I had to do under Preferences > Accounts) and see if it helps.

It's a bummer because I'd like to have both open and get notified on both, but it's not happening.

Feb 21, 2018 3:40 PM in response to jordanv1013

I had the same problem on my 6s I have the x now for about two months, same problem I have been to Verizon several times they have tried however nothing helps. I did add a Apple Watch a couple of weeks ago and the notifications do come thru on it but they are faint and I sometime miss notification of message’s. I have not contacted Apple suport so will try that next.

Feb 25, 2018 10:58 AM in response to jdye06

The new iPhone 10 or X is not working but only on certain contacts..like the Favorites or most important ones you need to get your texts notification sounds for ..but then for others! NOT cool! You buy a more expensive dive phone and do an update and can’t depend on device to work! Now Applles being sued currently for slowly down all iPhones under 8 (to force people to go buy a newer more defective iPhone with glitches like these! Did a case study my Senior year in college after Steve Jobs passed and their quickly losing their Strategy and Innovation” (course name) by commuting such insidious actions. People aren’t stupid Apple!

Feb 25, 2018 11:03 AM in response to TNC New Media

So tell me THIS, Apple: Why is notification sounds working for EVERYONE other than me on my bf new iPhone 10?!! 😡Makes u think ur device is bri g tampered with if DND is NOT on as indicated by another commentor below having the same issue . I can understand it not working across the board but working for everyone BUT me .?! he was very upset because he did not get notifications and did not know that he had a text for me and has to go to the message pops to go look throughout the day to see if I fit one . how do you fix it for just one number ? Is there an issue with the number that doesn’t use caller ID? They should not be we should have the right to not use caller ID for paying for it to protect our identity in ourselves when we call a landline or any other phone for that matter. Moreover, it was working before and then just stopped… But only from a number of coarse 🙆♀ 😏

iPhone X notifications not working

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.