Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

iPhone X Earpiece not working on phone calls

So I have just received my iPhone X and have attempted to make a call. The person on the other end can hear me but I can't hear them, unless it's on speaker or I have headphones in. I have tried plugging and unplugging headphones over and over. Also I have tried restarting and resting the iPhone nothing has worked so far.

iPhone X, iOS 11.1

Posted on Nov 4, 2017 11:09 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Jan 16, 2018 12:21 AM

I bought the iphoneX 4 days ago, and started to use it from yesterday, but the earpiece is totally not working from the very first call.....can only hear the call with speaklouder, I am totally upset with Apple....hope we can still see iphone existing after 5 years...

29 replies

Nov 6, 2017 2:42 PM in response to 33Kappl

I have the same problem. I have also upgraded to iOS 11.1. I also did a hard reset of the power (quick press of volume up, quick press of volume down, and then hold right power/Siri button for ten seconds until after screen goes black and then apple logo reappears). Using Apple leather case. Can hear on speaker but not from ear piece/hole at top.

Nov 9, 2017 12:27 PM in response to Pier Rodelon

The short of it is that in my situation, Apple replaced the phone. Apple online tech support went through the process with me, including listening to a Voice Memo (not Voice Mail) through the receiver to see it it worked. Apple online tech support had me wipe and restore, and then ran diagnotics with the phone connected to my MacBook Pro. They said it was a bad receiver (the little speaker at the top) and then located a nearby Apple store that had a matching replacement. Luckily they had one. They set me up at the Genius Bar for an appointment where they provided a swap (in a plain box with just the phone). But then there was something I wasn't prepared for. The Genius said I had to buy Apple Care for the phone right then and there, although it wouldn't count towards this replacement. I wouldn't be able to get AppleCare after the switch to the replacement phone--I didn't fully understand but did that. Apparently--and I could be explaining incorrectly--the Apple Care has to apply to the original phone that was delivered to me, even though it was delivered as defective. I'm going to check up to make sure that this exchange did not count towards my AppleCare, although I saw it would normally be over $500. Hope this is useful and I welcome followup comments.

Feb 9, 2018 9:54 AM in response to 33Kappl

I am facing the similar issue on my iPhone X and it could be due to Lightning to 3.5 mm Headphone Jack Adapter or Lightning Cable.

when lightning pin is in, the only earpiece is disabled and all other work normal. The new version messed up setting between lightning pin and earpiece.

this not expected from Apple for latest phone ti restart always when earpiece is not working. I had used all the iphone released and iPhone X with earpiece issue is hurting.

Please fix the issue at earliest.

iPhone X Earpiece not working on phone calls

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.