Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Bluetooth not available on Mac

Hi All,

After the upgrade to High Sierra a couple of weeks ago I started seeing an issue with Bluetooth availability. When the system is rebooted, Bluetooth comes up without any issues and everything is functional. After some time though, the bluetooth function on the Mac reports 'Not Available'. This happens at random (better said, I can't see a patern.. ), when actively working with the bluetooth trackpad. One second it works, the next it doesn't.

When that happens I need to connect a wired mouse to check details, but the only 'fix' is rebooting the system. Tried removing the plist for bluetooth and SMC reset as well, but so far the issue keeps coming back. Sometimes within hours after a reboot, other times a few day or even weeks before it re-appears.

I have not observed this issue when running on Sierra. This started after the upgrade to High Sierra.

This is happening on a MacBook Pro (Retina, 15-inch, Mid 2015). I have other macs on the same release not showing this issue.

Any suggestions how to fix this, as this is annoying, esp. when working toward a deadline and having to reboot the machine to get the functionality of the trackpad back..

Tx, G.

[Re-Titled by Host]

MacBook Pro with Retina display, macOS High Sierra (10.13)

Posted on Nov 7, 2017 3:41 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Nov 20, 2017 9:02 AM

This worked for me: http://ntfs-formac.com/how-to-fix-bluetooth-not-available-problem-under-macos-si erra/

From Finder window, press Command+Shift+G to call “Go To Folder” function, then enter the following line:

/Library/Preferences/

2. Find and remove the both “com.apple.Bluetooth.plist” and “com.apple.Bluetooth.plist.lockfile” if available.

3. Shut down the Mac, then boot the Mac again after some a couple of minutes waiting.

“Bluetooth Not available” must be gone away and the bluetooth must work correctly now, and “Bluetooth Not available” must be gone away.

83 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Nov 20, 2017 9:02 AM in response to grimmrper

This worked for me: http://ntfs-formac.com/how-to-fix-bluetooth-not-available-problem-under-macos-si erra/

From Finder window, press Command+Shift+G to call “Go To Folder” function, then enter the following line:

/Library/Preferences/

2. Find and remove the both “com.apple.Bluetooth.plist” and “com.apple.Bluetooth.plist.lockfile” if available.

3. Shut down the Mac, then boot the Mac again after some a couple of minutes waiting.

“Bluetooth Not available” must be gone away and the bluetooth must work correctly now, and “Bluetooth Not available” must be gone away.

Dec 21, 2017 9:48 AM in response to grimmrper

I have the same problem here on macos high sierra 10.13.1 (Macbook pro, early 2015). This problem happens from time to time even I reset bluetooth module, removed 'com.apple.Bluetooth.plist' from /Library/Preferences, resetting the SMC (again) and NVRAM. When I do the reset and reboot laptop, the bluetooth is working, but when I move my laptop from home to office and plugin external monitor, the bluetooth will be not available again. The bluetooth icon is displayed as "Bluetooth: not available". Reboot can fix this issue, but it's very annoying, I need reboot the laptop for every time when bluetooth is not working. Now I need reboot my laptop twice a day to make the bluetooth work, previously I just need reboot my laptop every month and there is another reason I need reboot, not related to this one.

When you always use external monitor with apple wireless keyboard/mouse, you will feel the pain, it's not working!!! Keyboard can't invoke laptop, mouse doesn't work! You have to open laptop and reboot for every time!!

Apple, please fix this issue ASAP!

Feb 16, 2018 7:55 AM in response to grimmrper

Possible cause: USB 3.0/2.0 devices causes strong interference with the wireless built-in devices. That was my case. My particular solution: a powered usb 3.0 hub wit shielded cable far away the Mac (a tp-link UH700 or similar).

Info about the interference:

Logitech

WIRELESS PRODUCT NOT WORKING PROPERLY WHEN ALSO USING A USB 3.0 DEVICE

Apple Support:

Bluetooth: Unreliable wireless performance may occur when USB 3.0 external devices are close

Why do I have difficulty with Wi-Fi or Bluetooth devices when USB 3 devices are attached to my computer?

Nov 27, 2018 12:20 PM in response to grimmrper

After trying everything that was suggested in this forum (delete plist, reset SMC/NVRAM, etc.) I finally found a solution for me that so far did not give me any Bluetooth malfunction.

I connected an external USB Bluetooth adapter and I disabled the built-in Bluetooth controller using the following terminal command:

sudo nvram bluetoothHostControllerSwitchBehavior="always"

(more info here: https://apple.stackexchange.com/questions/94402/force-os-x-to-use-bluetooth-dong le-instead-of-built-in-controller)

After restarting the Mac, the external Bluetooth adapter took over (it blinks irregularly). The mouse and keyboard had to be paired again, which is described here:

Set up your Apple wireless mouse, keyboard, and trackpad - Apple Support

So far, everything works perfectly fine.

System Info:

iMac (Retina 5K, 27-inch, 2017)

macOS Mojave 10.14.1 (18B75)

Previously, Bluetooth crashed multiple times per day. With the external adapter I am now on the third day without any crash.

Jan 15, 2018 4:21 AM in response to grimmrper

Same problem here: first appeared on my MBP 13" one month ago, and more recently on my iMac 27", where it makes the computer unusable because keyboard and trackpad stop working.

I tried several procedures like reset NVRAM, PRAM and so on, but they just fix it temporarily.

Both computers are on Sierra, I was considering upgrading to High Sierra but I see that the problem persists there.

Would be nice to have a fix soon, would be even better to not have automatic updates breaking things.

Jan 22, 2018 5:31 AM in response to grimmrper

Same issue recurs occasionally on 27" iMac running High Sierra 10.13.2 - typically after sleeping.

Deleting the bluetooth plist works for me, but the problem recurs and is a real nuisance since my mouse is bluetooth (Apple). In fact, it's my only active bluetooth device (I do have an iPhone nearby and so continuity may also involve bluetooth).

Jan 28, 2018 7:38 PM in response to grimmrper

Same issue here. I started having this problem within the past month or so and it's getting more and more frequent. constantly deleting a plist file and rebooting is not a solution; and considering the number of people reporting this, it's disheartening that I haven't seen anything officially addressing this problem. I was hoping there would be some fix in 10.13.3, but apparently not.

This is happening on my late 2015 27" 5K iMac.

Jan 31, 2018 1:33 AM in response to grimmrper

On my laptop MacBook Pro 15 "Retina mid-2015 the problem manifests like this:

When I turn on my laptop when the two monitors are connected, the bluetooth does not work.

I solve the problem this way: I disconnect the monitors from the laptop, then turn on the laptop - the bluetooth is working. I connect two monitors and work.

Bluetooth not available on Mac

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.