Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

iPhone X, phone calls and Apple's Folio Case

I have an iPhone X with Apple's Folio Case, Great, right?

But ... when I made (or received) 'phone calls, people couldn't hear me properly - I was 'muffled'.

I tried voice memos. It worked.

I tried calling my own land line (with answering machine). Horrible, muffled.

The problem? I was folding the 'flip lid' all the way back so it was against the back of the 'phone. It seems the rear mic is relied upon and doesn't like being covered up. That's a concern for me as I reaaly wanted to have a firm grip on my 'phone. The only way it's going to work right now is to have the flap against my face. That's not the main concern (get a _good_ grip on an expensive device!).

The folded flap works just fine with "Voice Memos".

This is a SW issue. Yes, I disabled Accessibly "Noise Reduction" to see if it works.

This transcends the origami iPad case, where the inside rests on (e.g.) a mucky table. Then, it folds back up against the iPad's glass.

Well done. Could someone please look @ this?

Thaknyou,

Muggers

iOS 11.1

Posted on Nov 8, 2017 2:12 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Nov 8, 2017 2:26 AM

Hi MugWup,

This could even be something as simple as the case interfering with or obstructing the iPhone's antenna. If this is the case, there is no workaround. If your case is new, and you still have the original packaging, you may be entitled to a refund given that you're not receiving the satisfaction that you expected from the product.

To enquire about a refund, or possible solutions for your particular case, you'll need to contact Apple Support.

There are 2 ways of contacting Apple Support:

Contacting AppleCare

If you're happy to speak to a technician over the phone to try and resolve your issue at home, you may use AppleCare to do so. If you'd like to get in touch with someone from AppleCare, simply go to getsupport.apple.com to get a callback from AppleCare.

Making a reservation

If you'd like to skip contacting AppleCare, you can create a reservation for your nearest Apple Store using the Apple Support App on your iPhone. Simply download the app, sign in with your Apple ID and follow the on-screen prompts to create a reservation.

If you do end up seeking a replacement, this is the kind of feedback that Apple would love to collect! You can provide product feedback over at apple.com/feedback.

If you have any further questions, queries or concerns, please don't hesitate to reply to the thread as I'm following it.

Best of luck!

67 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Nov 8, 2017 2:26 AM in response to MugWup

Hi MugWup,

This could even be something as simple as the case interfering with or obstructing the iPhone's antenna. If this is the case, there is no workaround. If your case is new, and you still have the original packaging, you may be entitled to a refund given that you're not receiving the satisfaction that you expected from the product.

To enquire about a refund, or possible solutions for your particular case, you'll need to contact Apple Support.

There are 2 ways of contacting Apple Support:

Contacting AppleCare

If you're happy to speak to a technician over the phone to try and resolve your issue at home, you may use AppleCare to do so. If you'd like to get in touch with someone from AppleCare, simply go to getsupport.apple.com to get a callback from AppleCare.

Making a reservation

If you'd like to skip contacting AppleCare, you can create a reservation for your nearest Apple Store using the Apple Support App on your iPhone. Simply download the app, sign in with your Apple ID and follow the on-screen prompts to create a reservation.

If you do end up seeking a replacement, this is the kind of feedback that Apple would love to collect! You can provide product feedback over at apple.com/feedback.

If you have any further questions, queries or concerns, please don't hesitate to reply to the thread as I'm following it.

Best of luck!

Nov 10, 2017 3:50 AM in response to MugWup

If the rear mic is being used, there (surely) must be a reason for it.

Hi Apple, would it be more astute to make a new folio case - one that has a flap cutout that allows the muffled mic to be used? Upshots of this alternative:

• A recall and replacement of those that are already out there (and sold);
  • Acknowledgement of a boo-boo.

Just saying ... 😮

Muggins

Dec 5, 2017 7:16 PM in response to taubmax

Hey Taubmax (and others),

Quite right - I retract my last comment on 11.2 seeming to fix things, where I used only a sample of 1 from a potential population of billions (but my 'phone bill would be a tad large if I went down the latter option).

I don't know why the person could hear me properly with my initial try where I stuck a drinks coaster over a hole I'd punched in "my precious" folio case. perhaps it (not me) had too many drinks at the time?

So, I will stick with my case that's got a ~ 10 mm diameter (not radius - I made a misteak before!) hole punched through the flap to allow the rear mic to do its thing.

To those who wish to:

• Advise all and quandary that one has to disable "Phone Noise Cancellation" for this to work, thank you very much, but this was one of the first things I tried. It doesn't seem to make a difference: not initially and not now (under iOS 11.2), but hanks all the same.;
  • Say (paraphrased): "Apple isn't forcing you to buy this thing, it's your problem, not theirs" ... my word, you lot don't seem to get it. This is a fundamental design flaw that should (and would) have been picked up through rudimentary testing. This is like saying Apple have a right to sell lemons (they're both fruit, right?), it's not their fault if the thing doesn't work as it should;
  • Repeat something akin to the "You're not holding it right" comeback, sorry - that's already been used, years ago. Those who did ate humble (Apple?) pie shortly thereafter.

Regards,

Muggins

Nov 8, 2017 11:58 AM in response to CheapApples12

Hi Cheeps,

Whether ithe issue is the rear mic being used or another anntenagate ... isn’t the issue. If verified (hello Apple), this is yet another design issue that would hit ALL users who wish to flip the llid back against the rear of the ‘phone when making calls.

I appreciate the suggestion of a return/refund, but that’s not why I posted this.

regards,

Muggers

Nov 9, 2017 6:24 PM in response to MugWup

And what seems to be the clincher (not antenna-gate), I tried to make a phone call with a sheet of paper against the rear of the iPhone X.

To borrow from Lewis Carroll:

" ... and muttered mumblingly and low, as if his mouth were full of dough. Who snorted like a buffalo... That Summer evening long ago, A-sitting on a [not antenna] gate."

Woof!

Nov 17, 2017 2:36 AM in response to MugWup

I had the same problem. The open flip cover overlaps the microphone between the rear camera lense (little hole), which is responsible for the background noise cancellation. Phone calls are not possible like this, except you hold the case open like a book, which is not practical at all.

I went several time to the telekom shop where I bought the phone and to an apple store. They did not know anything, could not help me and suggested to "repair" the phone (which would take 2-3 weeks)...

Best solution: Send it back to Apple. I bought the Otterbox Strada. Leather is not a fine as the Apple folio, but everything is working...

Nov 18, 2017 7:24 AM in response to tbone_GER

Returning our two folio cases today, last day in the 14-day repair window. In addition to the muffling problem (consistant on one phone; on the other, intermittent, for reasons explained below), I had another problem.

One of the two cases didn’t fit the phone as well as it shoud. This manifest itself in the phone’s volume randomly going up and down. The plastic volume up/down buttons in the case, which are intended to line up with those on the left side of the phone, were misaligned somehow such that they would occasionally press the corresponding phone button with no user interaction. The volume would go all the way up (usually) or down (occasionally). The only way to stop this was by removing the phone from the case and reinserting it, hoping it lined up properly. Over time (hours or a day or so), it would slide out of place again, and the same thing would happen.

I’ve owned pretty much everything made by Apple since the Apple II+, and this product has had more problems-relative-to-price-and-simplicity than anything I’ve ever bought from them before. It’s too bad, because the concept is great, but the implementation is terrible.

Nov 18, 2017 9:31 AM in response to MugWup

Yes same problem for me with leather folio case

absolutely fine when used in car kit mode, but a comment every time about muffled, can’t hear you, line is terrible..when the cover is folded back. Apple fan.. from the first iPhone, but call quality on my 7 plus was so much better..this is coming a fitness for purpose issue! NOT worth the high price

Nov 21, 2017 10:50 PM in response to MugWup

There is nothing wrong with The folio case from Apple. All folio cases have this problem in combination with the iPhone X. It is because, when you fold the flap completely behind the phone, it covers the little microphone between th two camera lenses which is used for noise cancellation. I guess the algorithm used for noise ca gets confused with the case rubbing against

A work a the microphone.

Arthur

Nov 23, 2017 8:18 AM in response to Aderijke

Agreed, 100%. I have been through a VERY lengthy journey trying to figure out what was going on. You are absolutely correct.... ANY folio case will give you an issue. Seems to be the mic on the rear of the case and noise cancellation that are causing the issue. Settings, General, Accessibility, Hearing....turn off noise cancellation? Oh dear Apple (shakes head). Maybe I should have gone with the suggestion of an Samsung phone instead.

Nov 23, 2017 1:19 PM in response to MugWup

The rear mic is used for noise reduction. If it is covered it will cause the symptoms you are describing, as has been reported by users of other models that have the noise reduction feature. It really isn't a software issue, as there is no software fix for covering a microphone. It doesn't happen with dictation or voice memo apps because they don't use noise reduction. If you turn off noise reduction in Settings/General/Accessibility the problem should go away. Or get a different case.

Nov 24, 2017 7:00 PM in response to Aderijke

It took me a while to figure out the mic issue. I’ve found it works best to fold the case/flap flush against the back, but on an angle clear of the cameras and mic. When it’s pressed up against your ear it feels normal. I’m used to it now and it works fine, but still a bummer on otherwise a good case and phone.

Nov 25, 2017 12:35 PM in response to MugWup

Confirmed with iPhone X and Apple folio case. Folding back flap during calls leads to significantly reduced audibility. Not folding back flap during calls leads to normal audibility. It is likely related to the microphone on the rear camera assembly.

iOS knows when an Apple Folio case is on, as the Settings feature for “Lock/Unlock when opening cover“ appears when the Apple folio case is installed. They should be able to change the microphone characteristics when the Apple folio case is on. I’ve filed a bug report under hardware/iPhone and recommend others do the same.

iPhone X, phone calls and Apple's Folio Case

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.