Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

iPhone X with Apple Leather Folio Mic Issues

I have a repeatable problem affecting two iPhone Xs with the new Apple Leather Folio cover; when the cover is folded behind the phone in order to take a call, the microphone is muffled.

This appears to be caused by the folio's magnet interfering with the phone's microphone.

If, during the call, the cover is opened wide so it is not folded behind the phone, the call quality is immediately improved.

I'm guessing that this is going to be a problem for everyone as it is happening to both my and my wife's phones in the exactly the same manner.

Is anyone else experiencing this issue?

iPhone X, iOS 11.1, with Apple Leather Folio cover

Posted on Nov 9, 2017 9:34 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Nov 18, 2017 5:56 AM

Hi,

I had the same problem and returned the leather folio case. The problem is not issued by magnets, it is because the folded cover overlaps the little microphone between the two camera lenses (little hole), which should reduce the background noises. Using this folio with cover folded it also rups over the microphone and it is almost impossible to make phone calls. I almost returned my iPhone, cause I thought it might be the phone, that is not working. I talked to the people from Telekom, went 2 times in an Apple Store, but nobody could help me and nobody knew anything about the problem.

It is an constructional defect of the leather folio case.

Just bought the Otterbox Strada and everything works fine. The iPhone X ist a great mobile phone, the best I ever had, but the leather folio is disaster.

82 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Nov 18, 2017 5:56 AM in response to simongnz

Hi,

I had the same problem and returned the leather folio case. The problem is not issued by magnets, it is because the folded cover overlaps the little microphone between the two camera lenses (little hole), which should reduce the background noises. Using this folio with cover folded it also rups over the microphone and it is almost impossible to make phone calls. I almost returned my iPhone, cause I thought it might be the phone, that is not working. I talked to the people from Telekom, went 2 times in an Apple Store, but nobody could help me and nobody knew anything about the problem.

It is an constructional defect of the leather folio case.

Just bought the Otterbox Strada and everything works fine. The iPhone X ist a great mobile phone, the best I ever had, but the leather folio is disaster.

Dec 13, 2017 2:43 PM in response to simongnz

I have found that even without a case, if I wrap or cup my hand around the top of the iPhone X, the caller will tell me I am muffled. If I grasp it on the edges the caller says it's perfect. So for me I'm holding it wrong. Using a remote control to demonstrate what I mean. Note that even if my palm is not touching the camera the caller says I am muffled. Turning off noise cancellation doesn't seem to make any difference.

User uploaded file

User uploaded file

Nov 22, 2017 11:18 PM in response to simongnz

The problem is quite different: The Folio doesn‘t COVER the mic, it leads the sound of your voice from your mouth behind the device to the rear mic. Then the iPhone „thinks“ your voice was background noise an canceles it. ;)

You can either totally cover the rear mic by pressing the backcover over it (needs to be tight) or you fold the backcover in a was, that the mic stays free. If there ist only a little space between cover and mic, that‘s eben worse than no space.

Nov 23, 2017 6:39 AM in response to simongnz

Exactly the same issue with non Apple wallet style cases. I have now tried two different cases and had my phone replaced. Apple implied it could be an issue with the SIM card, hard it replaced. Took it to the Apple store and they reckoned the phone was fine, it was faulty cases (nope). As my cases didn't have the magnet, it can't be that although I am surprised to hear it does it with the Apple wallet style cases too. Looks like a design fault to me. Maybe time to switch to Android and just return the phone (grrrrrrr)

Nov 23, 2017 6:51 AM in response to kennygair

That is not exactly a bug, it isn‘t a feature, either. 😉 It is due to physical limitations. The iPhone has a VERY strong suppression of background noise. You can be in a crowded bar, call someone and he will eventually even think you were in your office. That works by the mic near the camera, which normally records the background noise, but not your voice. This way the delta between the two records is your voice.

Now, the case builts a tunnel for your voice and leads the sound waves from your mouth to the rear mic. The iPhone now „thinks“ your voice was background noise.

If you want to use a book-style-case, there is only one way: Hold it in another way, so that the mic has free „view“ to your surroundings. The easiest way is to use your left ear and simply let the flip hang off.

Nov 30, 2017 1:10 PM in response to simongnz

I had the same issue with my new iPhone X and the Apple Leather Case Folio. People complained about voice quality while using the case. There is no opening for the phones earpiece in the front cover of the case. Therefore you have to flip the cover to the back and is interfering with the noise cancelling mic.

Dec 5, 2017 11:54 AM in response to simongnz

Alright First off, I have this issue too, and I don't have a Folio case. It is to do with the rear mic period. Every time I cradle the phone into my left shoulder during a call, people complain that I am muffled. As soon as I uncradle the phone, the audio is Fine. It definately has to do with the rear Mic and noise cancellation. My noise cancellation feature is TURNED OFF in settings, and always has been. Is there a fix for this? It really ***** that any time I am assisting someone over the phone and need two hands for typing that they can't hear me. And no I don't want a Bluetooth headset.

iPhone X with Apple Leather Folio Mic Issues

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.