Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

iPhone X not working with Carplay

Just received my new iphone X and plugged it into my new 2018 Audi A4 to find it does not function with it. In the connection manager it comes up but then the phone vibrates and it disables it. I have attempted the following:

• resetting the network settings
  • Deleting and re-adding on both sides the Bluetooth connection
  • Different cables
  • Different phones (iPhone 7 works with no issue on iOS 11.1 and 11.1.1)
  • Different Car 2016 Cadillac ATS (Other phones work)

I believe this is an iPhone X specific problem. Any other ideas or suggestions would be appreciated.

Posted on Nov 11, 2017 10:16 AM

32 replies

Nov 20, 2017 11:04 PM in response to gibroomhall

gibroomhall wrote:

Not yet, the car is a 3-month-old 2017 model so the chances of a head unit update are slim. + Apple know about it and assure me they are working on it so I'm holding out for a response after speaking to support again tonigh. I've submited further diagnostics but they can't give a date for a fix.

I'm being updated on Friday so will post here should I get any further useful information.

Not great being honest & now 2 weeks + with the problem and outside the return window.

Well, I am glad they are working on it. The last update fixed my issue. Good Luck!

User uploaded file

Nov 15, 2017 2:03 PM in response to gibroomhall

Restoring is not "jumping through hoops" it takes about 20 minutes and solves a lot of issues. You would rather complain and bad mouth Apple than try the easy solutions. I am not having these issues. Please keep answers straightforward and to the point only addressing issues people are having. If you have a complaint post it here -Feedback - iPhone - Apple

Nov 17, 2017 4:33 PM in response to davidsoto

It is a known fault that was supposed to be fixed yesterday according to support when I spoke to them. Carplay is not working with many cars, not just Audi but there is nothing on the web to save you the hassle of a 30 min phone call and the usual jumping through hoops of backup to iTunes > restore > replicate problem.

Once you have wasted that time Apple admit that they are hoping to solve with a software update.

Nov 15, 2017 1:58 PM in response to askbarnabas

Quote from chat transcript below after usual troubleshooting:

Ken

Thanks! I must be upfront, we are very aware of this issue. There are very specific steps that must be done as we are collecting data to fix it. Before we can gather that data I must ask have already done an back up and restore using iTunes on a computer then reproduced the issue?

Since had a call back promising would be fixed yesterday, still not working.

Give them a call / open a ticket to be told the same if you wish...

Nov 15, 2017 2:20 PM in response to askbarnabas

Correct it does. However, I would rather be told 'there is a known issue with iPhone X and carplay & we are working on a fix, in the meantime if you wish to carry out a restore to see if it solves it, please do'.

As opposed to being forced to carry out a restore before admitting to a known fault.

If I had been told that straight away I would have left it at that and awaited the fix.

Incidentally, I was also offered a replacement handset, which I declined with it being a software fault to avoid the further inconvenience of wiping the current handset, posting it back and then setting up a new one, only to have the same fault manifest itself.

I have already provided feedback as such, but thanks for pointing the process out.

Nov 15, 2017 10:04 PM in response to davidsoto

For the record I am using an iPhone X with CarPlay in a 2016 Honda Civic and it works great. Prior to getting the X, I had a 6+ and with iOS 10 had all kinds of problems. Things got better with the 6+ with iOS 11 but I have not had one single issue with CarPlay since I started using the X.

So, unfortunately, the issue(s) you are running into are unique to you and not indicative of the iPhone X. But I feel for you as I was running into all kinds of problems with iOS 10.

Nov 16, 2017 1:26 AM in response to scr21

FYI my car works as expected with 6S, 7, 7+(my own), 8 & 8+ as I spent the first day borrowing as many different handsets from colleagues to eliminate the car from the equation. It is unique to the X at the moment.

The X obviously does work with the majority of vehicles but there are a small minority of manufactures & models that it does not currently work with and will not until a fix a found.

Nov 20, 2017 3:32 PM in response to William Rivas

Not yet, the car is a 3-month-old 2017 model so the chances of a head unit update are slim. + Apple know about it and assure me they are working on it so I'm holding out for a response after speaking to support again tonigh. I've submited further diagnostics but they can't give a date for a fix.

I'm being updated on Friday so will post here should I get any further useful information.

Not great being honest & now 2 weeks + with the problem and outside the return window.

Nov 29, 2017 3:29 PM in response to Friscodlc

It is not a car issue, it is a phone issue. Don't be fobbed off. I've been in contact again tonight and basically been told to wait (as long as it takes) for a fix. Not good enough. Very unhelpful. Disapointed, considering returning under SOGA in UK. I would reccomend anyone who values CarPlay avoids the iPhoneX until it is sorted as it is a lottery as to if it will work with your car.

Dec 20, 2017 11:19 AM in response to mst3k0

Curious if your Civic is also having issues with going black on you (navigation), as well as with Bluetooth? I have been up to my neck with fighting with Honda about problems with my navigation/head unit and they say it is all because of my iPhone X. Every time I get in my car-something new happens....it may play, it may not play, either Bluetooth or now Spotify and on rare occasion Pandora.

Dec 20, 2017 7:50 PM in response to Creativecolleen

On rare occasion I've had issue with my nav screen. I generally just hold the audio button and reboot about once every couple of weeks and much like a computer that keeps those issues in check. I seriously do think the problem I'm having with Carplay and Pandora are issues with the Infotainment system and not my iphone X The Bluetooth works fine both in the car and with other bluetooth audio devices I own. I can play Pandora thru a set of bluetooth speakers I own with no issues. Carplay and Pandora are simply spotty as can be in my car. There seems to be no update for the firmware or software on the Infotainment system that I can find. I really wish Honda and Apple would get together and figure this out. I hate paying for Pandora and not being able to listen to it in my car. I wish you luck.

Jan 24, 2018 11:46 AM in response to davidsoto

Hi, I just unpacked my new iPhone X and after configuration I’ve faced the same problem too. I have the newest Q7. Other iPhones are working just fine.

I somehow can’t believe that a company like apple don’t manage to get their most expensive phone to not miss such a basic bulletproof function which exists since longer time! It’s a simple basic test case guys... very disappointing!

Pls fix soon and have a check within your QA team...

iPhone X not working with Carplay

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.