Question:

Question: Apple TV 4K Random HDMI Signal Loss

Anyone have a similar issue they have solved? I originally had the issue of flicker that was solved on my LG C7 by changing motion to User set at 0, but an issue I am having is the signal from my ATV to the TV drops out randomly. Usually I can make it through a show, but a movie it will drop at least once. Audio seams to reset here and there too, but it comes right back with the little Dolby Vision logo on the TV flashing. To get the picture back I have to put the ATV to sleep and then turn it back on. If it wasn’t for the free 4K iTunes upgrades I think I would just be done with this thing. I have tried brand new cables too by the way.

Posted on

Question marked as Solved
Answer:
Answer:

Happy to report, at least for me, the issue was resolved by finally ponying up for the Belden cable listed on apples website. Seems way overpriced, but so far so good for about 3 weeks. At only 6’ I had to move things around, but so be it. I just think most of the cables on Amazon are falsely advertised and they use jacket thicker materials to make the cable look and reel robust. The Belden cable looks super cheap.

Posted on

Page content loaded

Nov 26, 2017 3:58 PM in response to jasonmet77 In response to jasonmet77

Same issue. Periodic signal loss indicated on the LG C7. To get picture back I have to turn TV off and on and then I get the Apple TV picture back. I have tried resetting the Apple TV from scratch twice now. Hope the second time works.

Nov 26, 2017 3:58 PM

Reply Helpful

Dec 10, 2017 3:37 PM in response to jasonmet77 In response to jasonmet77

I’m having the same issue as well. I have an LG 65” SJ8500 with Dolby Vision connected to the Apple TV 4K. I’ve tried turning the SIMPLINK (HDMI-CEC) settings off and on on both the Apple TV and LG and still have the same issue. Glad to find other people having this issue because I almost returned my TV thinking it was defective.

Dec 10, 2017 3:37 PM

Reply Helpful (2)

Dec 11, 2017 1:44 PM in response to jasonmet77 In response to jasonmet77

Same issue. I have a LG 65SJ8500 65-Inch 4K TV. The signal from my ATV 4K to the TV drops out randomly several times each day. To get the picture back, I have to put the ATV to sleep and then turn it back on. I tried all new cables. I tried factory reset. I have wired ethernet connection. Apple TV 4K signal loss is very frustrating.

Dec 11, 2017 1:44 PM

Reply Helpful

Dec 11, 2017 9:06 PM in response to jasonmet77 In response to jasonmet77

Thanks Jason for your awesome comentson TV4k- I am afraid that I would go through the same problem.

So I can see here that I need to upgrade to 4kitune? I had tried whole morning to buy the TV4k but my hard

luck. I could not get customer service help for the feedback on phone..they seemed very busy. Your coments

have answered my question.

Thank you so much.

Dec 11, 2017 9:06 PM

Reply Helpful

Dec 18, 2017 2:38 PM in response to jasonmet77 In response to jasonmet77

Follow up - I took my unit in and got it replaced. However I am now starting to see the same problems again. I did replace the cable and had it running to the TV with a 6' HDMI cable and had no issues. I have now reinstalled everything and am using a 15' cable - same brand. I'm not sure if the units are ultra sensitive to cable lengths?

Dec 18, 2017 2:38 PM

Reply Helpful (1)

Dec 23, 2017 4:56 PM in response to jasonmet77 In response to jasonmet77

Same issue here. Mine is an older LG 1080p TV. Sitting there watching something and then the picture judders briefly, then TV goes to ‘No Signal’. For me, the picture comes back after a few seconds, but I have to rewind the content. Very annoying. LG seems to be the common theme here (as well as th ATV4K of course).

Dec 23, 2017 4:56 PM

Reply Helpful

Dec 24, 2017 7:37 PM in response to shaun2k In response to shaun2k

I am experiencing the same issue with the Apple TV 4K and my LG B7 TV. I randomly lose signal when an episode ends. This does not appear to be app specific as I have lost signal in YouTube, Foxnow. I have not lost signal during playback on when an episode ends. . I have been able to restart my Apple TV by holding the menu and sleep button on the remote to get the HDMI signal back. Is this possibly an HDCP handshake issue?

Dec 24, 2017 7:37 PM

Reply Helpful (1)

Dec 24, 2017 7:40 PM in response to jasonmet77 In response to jasonmet77

Something worth mentioning that I forgot in my first reply: so far the only app that experience the intermittent HDMI loss is when I use Apple Music. Otherwise, I'm on Netflix a lot and I didn't see the signal loss (touching wood).

My setup: LG OLED C7, Bose SoundTouch 300, AmazonBasics HDMI cable.

Dec 24, 2017 7:40 PM

Reply Helpful

Dec 24, 2017 9:15 PM in response to jasonmet77 In response to jasonmet77

**SOLUTION FOUND**

Hopefully this will work for everyone. I bought this HDMI 2.1 cable off Amazon ( Amazon.com: ECHOGEAR 4 ft Braided HDMI 2.1 Cable - 4k Compatible With Gold Plated Connections For the Best Picture - Sup… )

ECHOGEAR 4 ft Braided HDMI 2.1 Cable - 4k Compatible With Gold Plated Connections For the Best Picture - Supports HD, 4k, and Ethernet Signals With 120fps Refresh & 48gbps Bandwidth.

It has worked with no issues and I'm no longer experience any signal loss. Doing my research I found that HDMI 2.0b can't handle 4k TV's with 120hz native refresh along with Dolby Vision; too much bandwidth. Any HDMI 2.1 cable should work but if you are buying off Amazon, PLEASE read the reviews and descriptions first. There are some companies claiming their cable is HDMI 2.1 compatible and it isn't. The Echogear has worked for me with no problems for over a week. I'm running an LG 65" 8500 series TV with Dolby Vision.

http://www.techradar.com/news/new-faster-hdmi-21-cables-are-on-the-way-heres-wha t-you-need-to-know

Dec 24, 2017 9:15 PM

Reply Helpful (1)

Dec 25, 2017 10:46 AM in response to jess300ztt In response to jess300ztt

Great find! I am actually using the Apple recommended Belkin Cable for the Apple TV found here and I am experiencing HDMI signal loss with this cable:

Belkin Ultra High Speed 4K HDMI Cable (2m) - Apple

It appears the Echo Gear cable is currently out of stock on Amazon but I'm encouraged that this is the fix. Would be interested to hear if anyone else has found another cable that might be in stock that works?

Dec 25, 2017 10:46 AM

Reply Helpful

Dec 27, 2017 3:25 PM in response to fmetz374 In response to fmetz374

I have an encouraging update for owners of the LG OLED TV's. (B7 & C7). This morning I received the 4.70.36 WebOS update. Since receiving this update I have not had a single lost signal issue. I've been running the TV all day and now into the evening and its been working flawlessly with my Apple TV. Before this update I would have several lost signal events in just a few hours. I am sticking with the Apple recommended and supported Belkin HDMI 2.1 cable that supports 4K and up to 48Gbps.

LG has had this update out for almost a month now but they are pushing it out to smaller groups over time so I guess today was my turn.

Hope this info helps other LG OLED TV owners.

Dec 27, 2017 3:25 PM

Reply Helpful

Dec 28, 2017 1:01 PM in response to jasonmet77 In response to jasonmet77

I too am suffering from this issue, glad I found this forum and it's not just me. I am using an Apple TV 4K, AmazonBasics High-Speed HDMI Cable, 10 Feet, 18gbps, LG OLED OLED65B7P with the latest update 4.70.36 WebOS. Even after the WebOS update last night I experience the blackout twice this morning, hoping it won't happen again. Also, I notice the blackouts more often while using Sling TV, I also use DirectTV Now, Netflix and Amazon Prime, but I've only had it happen a few times in these. I will be keeping an eye out for the ECHOGEAR 4 ft Braided HDMI 2.1 cables, hoping my cables are the only issue now and this is the fix.

Dec 28, 2017 1:01 PM

Reply Helpful

Dec 31, 2017 11:39 AM in response to fmetz374 In response to fmetz374

I updated my LG OLED B7 and also am running the most recent TVOS software but am still having the same issue with the random single loss, where the ATV4k is on but the single drops and the screen goes black. Seems to happen within 5-10 minutes after Turing on the ATV4K. I am using a HDMI 2.0 cable 18gbs, the second one im trying with the same issue. Not sure if upgrading to a 2.1 cable or "Ultra High Speed HDMI" cable thats rated for 48gbs. Would anyone else recommend this? I am using 4k at 60hrz dolby vision. Maybe the 2.0 hdmi cable cant handle the bandwidth?

Dec 31, 2017 11:39 AM

Reply Helpful

Dec 31, 2017 11:47 AM in response to fmetz374 In response to fmetz374

Not sure if buying that cable will work for you if the apple certified one is giving you that "no single" issue. That belkin one is rated for 48Gbs, just like the one that the above linked to. and it is a 2.1 HDMI cable. It's worth a shot, but I think the problem lies within the ATV4K itself.

Dec 31, 2017 11:47 AM

Reply Helpful
User profile for user: jasonmet77

Question: Apple TV 4K Random HDMI Signal Loss