Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

High Sierra 10.13.2 cannot find my audio device

I'm using an external audio interface, "M-Audio Fast Track Pro", which was automatically recognized by the OS until now. After updating High Sierra to 10.13.2, which one of its improvements is about a best "compatibility with certain third-party USB audio devices", my iMac 27" Mid 2011 don't recognize the external audio interface at all!!!!

What the heck is going on? Is it a simple "bug", and I have to wait for a new update in order to use again my audio interface? Or is it simply considered an old device and no longer supported?

Thanks for any answer!

iMac (27-inch Mid 2011), macOS High Sierra 10.13.2

Posted on Dec 8, 2017 4:39 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Dec 9, 2017 11:57 AM

If you don't have a previous High Sierra installer, try this update I've found in Apple support, it's an older one they posted one month ago, it should probably "downdate" your macOS to 10.13 or 10.13.1, but I'm not perfectly sure!

macOS 10.13 Supplemental

175 replies

Jan 6, 2018 10:10 PM in response to JumpinJackF

Hi all,

From what little research I have done online and on my own between two systems, side-by-side, one with El Capitan and the other with 10.13.2 -

Each system recognizes the Fast Track Pro in System Information (my system is in Czech language, if anyone wonders 🙂 )):

User uploaded file

I also noted while viewing the "Logs" section of System Information that the following log files would be updated when I turn the Fast Track Pro on or off while connected to El Capitan:

IORegistry contents (/usr/sbin/ioreg -lxw550)

NVRAM contents (/usr/sbin/nvram -xp)

Power Management (/usr/bin/pmset -g log)

So, I may do a little more digging into those logs in El Capitan and High Sierra to see if I can unearth any information there as to what exactly - or at least, more specifically - is going on...

Jan 25, 2018 6:42 AM in response to JumpinJackF

so i just learned that fast track pros where been supported by avid instead of m-audio and apparently they will supported it until 2/11/18 (as shown in the screenshot i've attached, the last date is the end of support date)... i cant get in touch the support center because im in south america, but could any of you guys try contacting then, see what they say, heres the link of that page also. http://avid.force.com/pkb/articles/faq/End-of-support-datesUser uploaded file

Jul 16, 2018 12:06 PM in response to JumpinJackF

OK ... I share what I did to get the M-Track 2x2 recognized by my MacBook Pro 15 " mid-2012 - 2015. When I upgraded to High Sierra 10.13.5 the CoreAudio plugin was lost ... so looking in this forum I saw that I had to restart the sisatema, enter Terminal and add this command: " $ csrutil enable " and then install the M-Audio Drivers downloaded from its website.

So I did it, but it did not change anything ... I mention it because that's how I did it step by step.

But my curiosity told me to look in my system folders if I had the CoreAudio plugin installed where it should be ... and I discovered that when doing the update it was moved to the folder: Incompatible Software. So here I leave images of where I found it and where I placed it, then re-started the computer and everything is working as it should be.

User uploaded file

You must move the CoreAudio Plugin as shown in the following image and re-start the computer and work with your M-Track 2x2 as it should be.

User uploaded file

I hope it works for them as it does for me.

Dec 10, 2017 9:44 PM in response to JumpinJackF

Temporarily disabling system integrity protection to replace system files is the easy part. But please work on a clone or have good backups. Let us know how it went.

https://developer.apple.com/library/content/documentation/Security/Conceptual/Sy stem_Integrity_Protection_Guide/ConfiguringSystemIntegrityProtection/Configuring SystemIntegrityProtection.html

Good luck :)

Dec 20, 2017 5:44 AM in response to Salty909

So the Apple Engineering escalation came back as a negative. They say it's not their fault, and it's over to the third party supplier - even though the FastTrack Pro worked perfectly well on 10.13.1 with the default Mac USB audio driver. Really angry about this, because it's a perfectly good sound card which still works on my 10.13.1 MacBook Pro. The manager I spoke to in Support said that it's possible that 10.13.3 may resolve this (but from others in this chain, it does seem the current 10.13.3 beta does not fix this). I've provided feedback on this, and suggest you guys all do the same. Product Feedback - Apple --> macOS Apps --> macOS.

Feb 13, 2018 2:03 PM in response to JumpinJackF

The workaround posted in this discussion didn't fix things for me at all. I tried numerous workarounds to no avail.

Good news: 🙂🙂

Mac OS 10.13.4 beta version 2 seems to fix this issue so just hold out for a few weeks until the version is finalised and released to everyone or install the public beta, info on public beta available here: https://beta.apple.com/sp/betaprogram/

Hope this helps 🙂

Mar 1, 2018 7:49 AM in response to diegocruzali

This fix I posted about works and has been confirmed by several users:

Re: High Sierra 10.13.2 cannot find my audio device

Good news: 🙂🙂

Mac OS 10.13.4 beta version 2 seems to fix this issue so just hold out for a few weeks until the version is finalised and released to everyone or install the public beta, info on public beta available here: https://beta.apple.com/sp/betaprogram/

Dec 10, 2017 5:06 PM in response to JumpinJackF

Have you tried re-setting the System Management Controller (SMC)?

See the Apple support documentation for this at: support.apple.com/en-us/HT201295

Basic steps are:

1. Shut the iMac down
  2. Un-plug the power cord for at least 30 seconds
  3. Restore power to your iMac (plug back in)
  4. Start-up normally

This actually fixed a similar problem I had recently getting a new USB Audio adapter (mic + earphone) to work.

I wouldn't necessarily characterize this as a "High Sierra" issue, however.

Hope it works for you!

Jan 19, 2018 1:17 PM in response to q2800m

q2800m wrote:

i dont think so because it worked fine with versions 10.13 and 10.13.1

Happy accident I would say. From Avid's site.

Mac Releases (click on a version # to download that installer)

• Dec 16, 2014
  • This is the final driver release for the Fast Track Pro
  • Qualified with Mac OS X 10.8.5, 10.9.5, 10.10, 10.10.1
  • Note that Mac OS X 10.11 El Capitan (or later) is not compatible and will not be qualified
  • Tested with Avid-qualified Apple computers (details)
  • Core 2 Duo Mac users read this

As you can see, they haven't updated the drivers in just over 3 years.

Dec 9, 2017 11:57 AM in response to JumpinJackF

I've found a way to momentarily make possible the FastTrack Pro usage:

I've upgraded the OS just a week ago (it was El Capitan), downloading the High Sierra installer from the App Store, and the version was 10.13.1, then I've updated it to 10.13.2, obviously through the App Store.

Since I still have the macOS installer, I've tried to use it and the result is literally a "downdate" to 10.13.1!

Now M-Audio FastTrack Pro is working properly, but I have unchecked the automatic download and installation of updates in "System Preferences > App Store": I won't never update the OS from now on, until I will sure that this great audio interface is supported!

High Sierra 10.13.2 cannot find my audio device

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.