Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

CD burning issues - unknown error 0x80004005

I have been trying to burn cds and about 2 minutes or less in, it stops and ejects the cd, saying unknown error 0x80004005. I tried slowing the burning speed down but no joy. Also, when I have been trying to print the song lists, it seems like it will print the wrong playlists as well. Any suggestions? I have a Dell laptop that is about 1 year old.

Windows 10

Posted on Dec 9, 2017 11:15 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Dec 31, 2017 8:48 AM

Yes, there would appear to be an issue burning from iTunes 12.7.2.x for Windows.

A workaround is to uninstall iTunes then download and install one of the following as appropriate:

tt2

61 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Dec 31, 2017 8:48 AM in response to Fybfyc

Yes, there would appear to be an issue burning from iTunes 12.7.2.x for Windows.

A workaround is to uninstall iTunes then download and install one of the following as appropriate:

tt2

Dec 29, 2017 8:19 AM in response to Donxy

What formats are you burning? This post suggests the issue might only affect iTunes Store purchases: Since the last update 12.7.2 my itunes will not burn from downloads b will burn from a prerecorutded CD. Other threads have mention that some tracks are burnt before the failure, so an intermittent issue that depends on format would make sense. I've also seen one indicating issues with CD Text information.

tt2

Jan 24, 2018 12:02 PM in response to willyrut

Which version of iTunes is installed now? iTunes 12.7.3.46 ought to be able to burn CDs properly. See the second box in Troubleshooting issues with iTunes for Windows updates for detailed tear down and rebuild advice if you're already using that version, otherwise try upgrading normally first. Download from https://www.apple.com/itunes/download/ as some country specific pages are still serving 12.7.2, and in some cases claim to be delivering 12.7.1 in error.

tt2

Dec 15, 2017 11:06 AM in response to ColSco

This is clearly an iTunes issue based on my experience and the many posts and notes I see. I got an update to iTunes 12.7.2 today that I had hoped would fix the problem that surfaced when I first installed this version last week and have the same problem as before.

In addition to problems noted, when I try to burn a playlist that is 79 minutes long that I have burned successfully in the past I am told that the songs are too long to fit on one cd, when in fact, that is not the case.

And it's impossible to get any iTunes support from the Apple Support page as they want a serial number for an Apple device.

Apple needs to address these issues and also show a compatibility mode to Widows 10 when running the Troubleshooter.

Dec 16, 2017 7:29 AM in response to ColSco

I also have the same issue and also used several discs in the process of trying to correct it! Spoke with Apple Support (about 10 times), who weren't aware of the problem but suggested that the update could be to do with copyright issues!!!

The guy I spoke to backed up to a previous version of itunes and I was able to burn a disc. However, I lost all my playlists etc and was then unable to sync my iphone. I decided that I would rather have all my music and playlists as I wanted them so had to go back to the current version (no cd burning again). This is a mess and itunes should sort this asap. We need an urgent solution to the problem but as the guys at itunes don't appear to pay any attention to these posts - I won't hold my breath! 😟

Dec 21, 2017 9:55 AM in response to ColSco

I have the same problem since the latest iTunes update. Since I also had a Windows 10 update at the same time, I thought perhaps my CD/DVD writer needed a driver update. It didn't. Wasted 6 CDs so far. As I have over 200 playlists, I'm not willing to uninstall and go to a previous version. When will Apple provide a fix? This is a serious limitation!

** iTunes support ** I see at least 4 different threads about this problem and I do not see any actual replies from Apple.

Dec 29, 2017 4:27 AM in response to ColSco

Causes of Error 0x80004005

Corrupt download or incomplete installation of Windows Disc Image Burner software.

Corruption in Windows registry from a recent Windows Disc Image Burner-related software change (install or uninstall).

Virus or malware infection that has corrupted Windows system files or Windows Disc Image Burner-related program files.

Another program maliciously or mistakenly deleted Windows Disc Image Burner-related files.

Runtime Errors such as “Error 0x80004005” can be caused by a variety of factors, so it is important that you troubleshoot each of the possible causes to prevent it from recurring.

Nothing to do with itunes

CD burning issues - unknown error 0x80004005

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.