Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Question:

Question: Sleep Wake Failure with High Sierra 10.13.2

Since installing 10.13.2 I have a sleep wake failure on iMac. Was working perfectly before installed latest update on Dec 8.

This is not an uncommon problem but the "fixes/solutions" one reads on the internet are all over the place.

Is there a fix or is this simply something only Apple can solve for all those now plagued by the problem? It is irritating in the extreme.

iMac, macOS High Sierra (10.13.2)

Posted on

Question marked as Helpful

Dec 21, 2017 4:24 PM in response to TJBHK In response to TJBHK

Ignore the people that say you have to reset this and that and upgrade or downgrade, or re-install etc. It's useless. Once you move to 10.13.2 you have just as much chance that it happens again. Obviously.

This is a bug introduced with this update and Apple's aware of it and hopefully the next release will have this addressed.

This happens on all our new and old macs, fresh installs or updates. At my place, parents place, friends .. name it. So far only 3 people I know with macs said they didn't notice this yet, everybody else replied: yeah now that you mention it.. so I asked around: 23 ppl that i've asked, 20 had the issue.

Dec 14, 2017 6:20 AM in response to TJBHK In response to TJBHK

Same problem. 2012 iMac. Updated to 10.13.2, sleep is broken. When I come back my machine has reset itself, I have to login and wait for everything to come up again. This all seems related to graphics cards and processors. I haven't touched the hardware, so the Apple OS update fouled up the system.

There’s more to the conversation

Read all replies

Dec 10, 2017 7:58 PM in response to TJBHK In response to TJBHK

It isn't a problem with the update. I do not have such a problem. Didn't have a problem with 10.13 or 10.13.1 either. My suggestion is a problem in the underlying system you upgraded. So, the first thing I will recommend you try is this:

1. Resetting your Mac's PRAM and NVRAM.
  2. Reset the System Management Controller (SMC) on your Mac - Apple Support.
  3. Boot into Safe Mode - this takes longer than normal.

The second thing you want to do is:

Repair the Drive for El Capitan or Later

1. Restart the computer and after the chime hold down the Command and R keys until the Utility Menu appears.
  2. Select Disk Utility and press the Continue button.
  3. Then select the indented (usually, Macintosh HD) volume entry from the side list.
  4. Click on the First Aid tab in the toolbar and wait for the Done button to activate. Click on it, then quit Disk Utility.
  5. Select Restart from the Apple menu.

The third thing to do is: Download and install the macOS High Sierra 10.13.2 Combo Update.

That's it for now. After the Combo Updater is completed your computer should restart. However, if it does not then restart the computer normally.

Dec 10, 2017 7:58 PM

Reply Helpful (2)

Dec 11, 2017 6:05 PM in response to Kappy In response to Kappy

Thanks, Kappy. First 2 items on the lsit dont resolve the issue. I have not had time to do the third thing. Effectuively what Apple suggested - erase and reinstal OS.

It is only since the Dec 8 upgrade that this has happened. Very perplexing and irritating. I am not only person to experience this so perhaps Apple can address in a alter OS upgrade.

Dec 11, 2017 6:05 PM

Reply Helpful (3)

Dec 12, 2017 2:32 PM in response to TJBHK In response to TJBHK

Same problem here with a MacPro. I can't really tell if the MacPro is sleeping but my main indication that it is not is the RAID array will not sleep at all. Have to shut the system down nightly until Apple fixes bug local Apple store states.

Dec 12, 2017 2:32 PM

Reply Helpful (1)

Dec 12, 2017 9:44 PM in response to TJBHK In response to TJBHK

I have the problem with a Late 2012 MacMini. The only way that I can wake is via the power button on the back of the unit. Keyboard/mouse no longer wakes the machine.

What's interesting is that I have had some services recently that were actually preventing sleep, so I guess my problem is reversed. LOL

I can tell you that it seems to be fully sleeping (I've seen some threads mention that machine fans are staying on, etc). In the past, my external USB devices would sometimes remain powered up, but all my LEDs for external sound cards and HDD are confirmed to be off. The only USB that remains on is the MacMini. Although, now that I think about it it may not pulse and only be dim (hence not fully sleeping).

Dec 12, 2017 9:44 PM

Reply Helpful (1)

Dec 14, 2017 6:20 AM in response to TJBHK In response to TJBHK

Same problem. 2012 iMac. Updated to 10.13.2, sleep is broken. When I come back my machine has reset itself, I have to login and wait for everything to come up again. This all seems related to graphics cards and processors. I haven't touched the hardware, so the Apple OS update fouled up the system.

Dec 14, 2017 6:20 AM

Reply Helpful (8)

Dec 20, 2017 6:06 PM in response to TJBHK In response to TJBHK

Soooo... My iMac had this same problem. Got an error on it every time I tried to wake it, saying that it had to restart. I also couldn't use the keyboard or mouse (both Logitech bluetooth and worked before) to wake the computer. Always had to use the physical power button in back.

Then, super early this morning, I woke up at 2 am to find my Mac on the grey boot screen. Okay, I thought. It's just rebooting itself. Again. Then, when I woke up at 4, same screen, no progress. Sat and watched it for another 5 minutes, just in case. Nothing. Hard shut down, then waited a few seconds and booted up. Super slow to load. 10-15 minutes later, I got fed up and installed the Combo Update for this version that everyone keeps mentioning. This was a much bigger file than the one initially installed by the App Store, but the Combo installed more quickly. The original took about 3-4 hours. So I set it in motion, then went back to bed.

When I got up this morning, I tapped the mouse button and it woke up the Mac. Woot! Maybe it's too soon, but I also haven't gotten any sleep wake errors either.

TLDR: If you're having an issue with this update, try the combo update. It worked for me, and I'm super thankful to all the people that mentioned it. Thank you!!

Dec 20, 2017 6:06 PM

Reply Helpful (1)
User profile for user: TJBHK

Question: Sleep Wake Failure with High Sierra 10.13.2