Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

USB Audio device not recognized after 10.13.2 update

After updating to macOS 10.13.2, my M-Audio Fast Track Pro device is no longer recognized as an audio device via USB. The device does not seem to be recognized as a USB device anywhere: Audio Output, Audio Input, and the M-Audio driver says "Not connected". This was working as of 10.13.1.

MacBook Pro with Retina display, macOS High Sierra (10.13.2)

Posted on Dec 13, 2017 11:12 AM

22 replies

Jan 15, 2018 10:51 AM in response to gilesdring

Hello.

Same problem here. MBP 13 retina (2017) OSX HS 10.13.2 with or without driver, keyboard korg microkey2, sees it in the midi control panel, but nothing happens.
With OSX Sierra it works for a while but without drivers, then it slows down and then does not work anymore.

😕

p.s.

one of the two thunderbolt ports, does not even turn on the keyboard light ! 😢

Thanks

Jan 17, 2018 3:51 PM in response to JGroenhof

Mine has no audio ports, but MIDI (which I don't use) is showing up in "Audio MIDI Setup.app"

I used Wireshark to sniff the USB insertion event, and the device seems to be getting the usual initialization routine, and reports all the capabilities, but the OS doesn't use it.

If I plug the same device into another mac still running Sierra, it works fine.

Jan 18, 2018 6:30 PM in response to JGroenhof

Hopefully everyone following this thread gets notified by this post. I reached out to @AppleSupport on Twitter, and after trying to help me through some USB I/O troubleshooting, they eventually just kept telling me to reach the manufacturer or look for an updated driver. I requested a technical contact who might know more about USB Audio support in macOS, but I haven't gotten anywhere with that yet. Unfortunately, since I can't get an answer from Apple on whether this is a bug or an expected consequence of "Improving compatibility with certain third-party USB Audio devices", I'm going to start looking at replacing my Fast Track Pro 😠, since I use it constantly.

If anyone finds a solution for this issue, please post it here. macOS is definitely seeing the device. As Aphor said, it's showing up in the Audio MIDI Setup > MIDI Studio menu. It's just not seeing it as an Audio Output device.

Here's the last message I received from Apple Support verbatim, in case you're interested:

You're best source for support with this compatibly request would be the manufacturers of that device. We suggest reaching out to them to see if they can provide an update, or to see what support options they have available.

Feb 1, 2018 1:57 PM in response to JGroenhof

Sorry your USB hubs haven't worked. The Aukey hub as you say, may be the factor. Unlike many hubs, it sits (as it were) on the computer's charging cable, the charging current passing through the hub - but I don't know what this implies technically. I paid £35 for mine from Amazon, money I was happy to spend for a solution!

Mar 23, 2018 8:40 PM in response to ckeiderling

I have been following the responses regarding this issue using Fast TracK pro with High Sierra and thought there must be an easier way than buying new hardware and spending the extra cash. I signed up for the Beta subscription and downloaded 10.13.4 installed, rebooted and upon restart checked the sound preferences and voila there was Fast Track Pro loaded. Thank You ckeiderling!!

USB Audio device not recognized after 10.13.2 update

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.