Announcement: Update to iOS 12

Enjoy a faster and more responsive experience as well as fun new features, like Memoji and Camera Effects.
Get iOS 12 > https://support.apple.com/ios/update

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Question:

Question: ios 11.2.1 touch id iphone 6s plus not working

Updated to iOS 11.2.1. Touch ID on iphone 6s Plus no longer work. Anyone have the same issue? Please help. Thanks,

Posted on

Question marked as Solved
Answer:
Answer:

I have same problem straight after upgrading to iOS 11.2.1. Have never had issues with home button, no moisture etc... it’s the update. Please help with a software bug fix.

Posted on

Question marked as Helpful

Dec 19, 2017 7:12 PM in response to wmok In response to wmok

Greetings wmok,

Thank you for using Apple Support Communities. It seems like you updated to iOS 11.2.1 and now you are having trouble with Touch ID. I would recommend you read this article and use it to help troubleshoot the issue.

1. Make sure that your fingers and the Home button are clean and dry.* For the Home button, use a clean, lint-free cloth to wipe off any dirt or debris.
  2. Your finger should cover the Home button completely, touching the surrounding metal ring. While Touch ID is scanning, you shouldn't tap too quickly or move your finger around.
  3. If you're using a case or screen protector, make sure it doesn't cover the Home button or the surrounding ring.
  4. Go to Settings > Touch ID & Passcode and make sure that iPhone Unlock or iTunes & App Store is on, and that you've enrolled one or more fingerprints.
  5. Try enrolling a different finger.
  6. If you can't enroll any of your fingers, take your device to an Apple Retail Store or Apple Authorized Service Provider, or contact Apple Support.

Get help with Touch ID on your iPhone or iPad

Take care.

There’s more to the conversation

Read all replies

Page content loaded

Dec 19, 2017 7:12 PM in response to wmok In response to wmok

Greetings wmok,

Thank you for using Apple Support Communities. It seems like you updated to iOS 11.2.1 and now you are having trouble with Touch ID. I would recommend you read this article and use it to help troubleshoot the issue.

1. Make sure that your fingers and the Home button are clean and dry.* For the Home button, use a clean, lint-free cloth to wipe off any dirt or debris.
  2. Your finger should cover the Home button completely, touching the surrounding metal ring. While Touch ID is scanning, you shouldn't tap too quickly or move your finger around.
  3. If you're using a case or screen protector, make sure it doesn't cover the Home button or the surrounding ring.
  4. Go to Settings > Touch ID & Passcode and make sure that iPhone Unlock or iTunes & App Store is on, and that you've enrolled one or more fingerprints.
  5. Try enrolling a different finger.
  6. If you can't enroll any of your fingers, take your device to an Apple Retail Store or Apple Authorized Service Provider, or contact Apple Support.

Get help with Touch ID on your iPhone or iPad

Take care.

Dec 19, 2017 7:12 PM

Reply Helpful (7)

Dec 25, 2017 9:27 PM in response to wmok In response to wmok

I have a brand new iPhone 8, and having this same problem following an iOS update on both my iPhone and iPad.

i’m also noticing more instances where the Apple devices just lock up and freeze, almost like in the bad Windows XP days.

This is the type of clunkiness that Steve Jobs would never have tolerated.

Apple, you need to get your software together if you want consumers to keep paying the Apple premium.

Dec 25, 2017 9:27 PM

Reply Helpful (2)

Dec 26, 2017 4:58 AM in response to Allen A In response to Allen A

My home key has not been working since the update. It keeps warning me I am unable to use Touch ID and that it has failed. There is no option to reset finger prints the option is greyed out. The home key works fine once phone is unlocked but to try and unlock the phone it does not work and I have to keep switching my phone on and off. I have now had to take the keypad lock off temporarily. Will there be another update to sort this out? It’s clewrly a faulty update if so many people have been affected.

Dec 26, 2017 4:58 AM

Reply Helpful

Dec 26, 2017 6:35 AM in response to wmok In response to wmok

Problem solved after re-enrolling the finger print. Not sure if this is a software bug. Apple should explore further.

Dec 26, 2017 6:35 AM

Reply Helpful

Dec 27, 2017 11:00 PM in response to wmok In response to wmok

Hi there, I would love to know how you re-enrolled the fingerprint. Since the update the reenrol option has been greyed out on my phone.

Can anyone help with this? It looks like this latest update is causing many people issues.

Dec 27, 2017 11:00 PM

Reply Helpful (10)

Dec 28, 2017 2:16 PM in response to wmok In response to wmok

Obviously I read what he said. I know how to update my finger print scans. The problem is that the reader on my phone wasn't working. Now it's working all of a sudden. I think it has to do with how much light is present? I'm not sure. Maybe my battery was low and that part of the device wasn't getting enough power? Either way, it's working now. I made sure some lights were on, and it started working.

Dec 28, 2017 2:16 PM

Reply Helpful

Dec 28, 2017 4:35 PM in response to Allen A In response to Allen A

My Touch ID on 6s

No longer works to open iPhone

I have erased and reinstalled digits 10 times

No good

Works fine with AMEX and bank accounts

But not to open iPhone

Please fix update

Dec 28, 2017 4:35 PM