Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

IMessage/Text Messages Out Of Order

Ever Since I updated to iOS 11.2.1 my messages do not show in correct order Ive tried restart manually setting time and 24hr time. Nothing seems to fix this issue driving me nuts constantly missing text because overlooking. They are showing as if they were received before other messages. Common Apple your killing me how can I keep speaking so highly of you when lately you've been letting me down.

iPhone 6s, iOS 11.2.1

Posted on Dec 21, 2017 7:38 PM

276 replies

Dec 29, 2017 6:08 PM in response to panchososa694

This can't be a carrier issue as this issue is spread across several carriers. I live in a household who uses both AT&T and Verizon and we all are experiencing this.

WiFi connection makes no difference. Apps, software, soft resets have all been done and verified.

Person A sends text message - shows as delivered.

Person B responds. Within 1-3 minutes

Shows as;

Person B

Person A

Having worked for Verizon for 6 years, seeing copious mysterious problems and diagnoses, this issue by its characteristics cannot be any of the networks at fault.

Jan 2, 2018 8:42 AM in response to MagnusAReid

I just got off the phone with Advanced Support from Apple and Now have mine working.

If you go into Settings > General > Date & Time > Turn off Set Automatically for about 10-15 seconds and turn it back on.

I did this and have now tested it with a new message thread as well as an exiting message thread with two people that I have had the problem with and it is now working correctly.

Jan 2, 2018 9:42 AM in response to cKehler

Screenshots of me annoying my wife:

This is from the Macbook Pro, I originally sent them from this machine. These are OUT of order, the first 2 messages should be "U get?" and "U get":

User uploaded file

These are the same messages as displayed on my iPhone 6s, they are in the correct order that I sent them in with "U get?" and "U get" in the right spot:

User uploaded file

User uploaded file

Jan 9, 2018 6:22 AM in response to MagnusAReid

Having the same problem too. Not sure if it started with 11.2 or 11.2.1. Force close Messages app helps temporarily only- prior message order is restored in the view, but new incoming messages are continuing to be displayed out of order. It seems like the symptom described by the other user - messages received within the same minute are mis-ordered? Please check into this asap, Apple. (IPhone 7 Plus)

User uploaded file

Apr 13, 2018 11:28 AM in response to MagnusAReid

This happened to me yesterday and I was confused for a minute since it has never happened to me before either. I tried numerous methods and tricks to get it fixed and finally I did manage to fix it. I've also written a quick step-by-step guide on how to fix when iMessage/Text Messages out of order on iPhone to help others who face such similar situation.

Here's an excerpt from the guide:

6 Simple Ways to Fix iPhone Stuck in Headphones Mode

1. Force Close Your Messages App.

The first thing that you should do is simply to force-quit your Messages app. (If ever an app is not working or seems not alright, try force-closing it and it should would work)

If you're on an iPhone X:

Step 1: Just swipe up from the bottom of your screen, and then hold for a second, then release to open your app switcher (your background-running apps/app history).

Step 2: Done? Great! Once you’ve done that all you have to do is just long press on your Messages app and then hit that red X button or swipe up on it to Force Close it.

If you're on an iPhone 8, 7, 6 or older:

Step 1: Just simply double tap on your Home button and then swipe up on your Messages card to remove it.

You can now try using your Messages app again and your messages now should be arranged in the correct order.

If that has not worked, then try to ...

2. Restart Your iPhone.

We rarely ever completely shut down our iPhones because we need it almost every time.

So when if something seems off or is not working on your iPhone you should give it a quick restart which gets it back on track.

Here’s how you can restart your iPhone.

If you're on an iPhone X:

Step 1: To shut down, hold your Side button whilst you hold on to one of your Volume keys.

Step 2: You will see Slide to power off. Turn it off and back on again. Done.

Note

You can also jump into your Settings app and then General and tap on Shut Down.

If you're on an iPhone 8, 7, 6 or older:

Step 1: To shut down hold your Side button until you see Slide to power off. Turn it off and back on again. Done.

Now try opening your Messages app and see if your messages are in the correct order.

3. Hard Reset Your iPhone.

A hard reset ain’t that really hard to understand. Just think of it as how you normally restart your iPhone but with this it clears more of your device’s unwanted garbage memory. (it’s NOT your storage. You won’t lose any of your data).

Sweet. So here’s how you do it:.

If you’re on an iPhone 8, 8 Plus or on iPhone X:

Step 1: Quickly press and release your Volume Up button then press and release your Volume Down button.

Step 2: Then, press and hold your Power button (iPhone 8 or 8 Plus) or your Side button (iPhone X). Hold it until the Apple logo appears on the screen.

Done.

If you’re on an iPhone 7 or 7 Plus:

Step 1: Go ahead and press the Power button and your Volume Down button at the same time. Hold it for at least 20 seconds until the Apple logo appears on the screen.

Done.

If you’re on an iPhone 6S or older:

Step 1: Go ahead and press and hold your Power button together with your Home button at the same time. Hold it for at least 20 seconds until the Apple logo appears on the screen.

Done.

Now once your iPhone has restarted, you can try your Messages app once again to see if it has worked.

4. Reboot Automatic Date/Time Settings.

You might be asking:

“How the heck is changing the datetime has to do with fixing how the Messages appear?”

Well, here’s the thing: I can’t give you a straight up answer for how it works but what I can tell you is that it is a legit solution. According to user erikbock who had the same messages out of order problem posted in the Apple support forums and Apple got back suggesting to do this method.

The user suggested it has worked for him and it solved his iMessages problems.

Here’s how you can do it.

Step 1: Jump into your Settings app and then tap General.

Step 2: Next tap on Date & Time.

Step 3: Now here’s what you do: Do you see Set Automatically? Alright turn off the slider next to it and wait for about 10-15 seconds.

Step 4: Finally, enable the setting back and then check if it has solved the problem.

If that has not worked either then..

5. Toggle your iMessage On & Off.

You tried everything above and you find it still hasn’t worked, but wait there’s on more method you haven’t tried just yet.

This time you’re going to restart your iMessage itself.

Your iMessage can actually be disabled, which doesn’t mean it stops all incoming text messages but instead the text messages you get are not iMessages but instead regular messages (the ones with the green bubbles).

Here’s how you can do it:

Step 1: Go ahead into your Settings app and then tap on Messages.

Step 2: The very first thing on the page you will see is iMessage. All you have to do is just disable this setting by switching off the slider next to it (just like you did in the previous Method 4) and wait for about 10-15 seconds.

Step 3: Finally, enable it back and then jump into your Messages app and check if the problem is fixed.

Done.

6. Reset All Settings

Please back up your iPhone before going through with this method.

This is your last resort. A last ditch effort that will hopefully defeat the annoying problem once and for all.

This method is basically involves you resetting all your settings.

That includes your saved Wi-Fi passwords, dictionaries, Bluetooth connections, Apple Pay etc. every setting you’ve set since the start will be restored back to its factory settings (to how you first got it).

Note

Now remember this does not wipe out all your data (all you Contacts, App Data, Pictures, Notes etc) unless of course if you tap Restore to Factory Settings.

Also if you’re not comfortable resetting your settings then you can bring your iPhone to your nearest Apple Store to get it checked but they will too reset your iPhone (so it’s best to save a few bucks in service charge)

Here’s how you can reset all the settings on your iPhone:

Step 1: Jump into your Settings app and then tap on General.

Step 2: Next tap on Reset.

Step 3: Then once you’re in, tap on Reset All Settings (it’s at the very top). You will be asked to enter your passcode.

Step 4: Finally you will be asked if you’re really sure you want to go through with this. Just hit Reset All Settings and wait.

Once it’s done you can jump into your Messages app to check if it has solved the problem, and it should.

If you've tried all the methods above but you find none of them has worked for you, then the only course of action then would be to just hold on and wait for Apple to address this issue with the next update.

Read more at Saint

Apr 16, 2018 1:39 AM in response to MagnusAReid

Force Restart Your iPhone

Sometimes, a normal reboot just doesn't do the trick. If your iMessages are still acting up, try a force restart instead. The process for a force restart varies depending on your iPhone model.

• iPhone X, 8, and 8 Plus: Quickly press and release the Volume Up button, then do the same for the Volume Down button. Finally, hold the Side button down until you see the Apple logo.
  • iPhone 7 and 7 Plus: Press and hold the Side button and Volume Down button together for about 10 seconds, until you see the Apple logo appear.
  • Earlier iPhone models: Press and hold the Side button and Home button together for about 10 seconds until you see the Apple logo appear.

Once you see the Apple logo, you know you've completed the force restart.

IMessage/Text Messages Out Of Order

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.