Announcement: Get Ready for macOS Mojave

With features like Dark Mode, Stacks, and four new built-in apps, macOS Mojave helps you get more out of every click. Prepare for macOS Mojave > https://support.apple.com/macos/mojave

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Question:

Question: High Sierra: qmasterd/opendirectoryd: Too many corpses being created

Hi all, on our family white Macbook (2009), which used to work fine, we have since yesterday a spinning boot.

In verbose mode can be seen:

Waiting for DSMOS...

Process[187] crashed: qmasterd. Too many corpses being created.

Process[188] crashed: opendirectoryd. Too many corpses being created.

Disk tool first help and fsck are ok, I did not see errors in the details when I ran it.

I can also find thru the harddisk without issues at the recovery console.

So the filesystem is ok, and since it can boot in recovery mode, I assume hardware and filesystem are generally ok. Disk space is plenty.

Creating rc.server did not help. I reinstalled OS without a resulting change.

/var link also seems ok. I can change directories and ls in single-user mode, but not create files since mounted in read-only.

I removed the Mac from my WLAN (Fritzbox), so it cannot connect any more. No change.

I renamed the directores of the virus scanner as an attempt to isolate that. No change.

Attempts to start in safe mode are also unsuccessful. If anyone has a hint to start in safe mode with verbose, appreciated.

I don´t want to USB attach the disk to my other MPB to backup, and to later reformat/reinstall, without understanding the root cause of this.

I saw quite few other discussions on similar topics, without having found the right hint or solution.

Can you please help?

Many thanks / Stefan

VIN, MacBook (13-inch Late 2009), macOS High Sierra (10.13.2), Assume it is 10.13.2 - cannot check

Posted on

Page content loaded

Jan 10, 2018 4:19 PM in response to kraemies In response to kraemies

I have heard of that problem before. I don't know its root cause. The only apparent resolution was to completely erase the drive.

Here are the relevant Discussions:

45min Boot Screen

crashed: too many corpses being created

Too many corpses being created

Jan 10, 2018 4:19 PM

Reply Helpful (4)

Jan 11, 2018 1:17 PM in response to John Galt In response to John Galt

Thank you John.

"If you can get into Safe Mode then run EtreCheck." Unfortunately I cannot get into Safe Mode.

"/etc/rc.server" I tried before, but no change.

What I dont like is many others seem to have the same issue, and the only solution is to reinstall from scratch? This isnt Windows?!

Also I think unless this is properly diagnosed, so that workaround or solution exits, one may reinstall from scratch and end up having the same issue short time afterwards, after a lot of effort.

Isnt this for Apple to put the foot down to find the cause?

Thanks

Jan 11, 2018 1:17 PM

Reply Helpful

Jan 11, 2018 6:08 PM in response to kraemies In response to kraemies

Isnt this for Apple to put the foot down to find the cause?

Until some other cause is found, sure, but you wrote that you used a "virus scanner". That's a popular way of ruining perfectly good Macs. Apple has zero interest in Macs affected by such garbage and neither do I.

Why can't use boot Safe Mode? Did your "virus scanner" disable that ability?

Jan 11, 2018 6:08 PM

Reply Helpful

Jan 12, 2018 1:31 AM in response to John Galt In response to John Galt

Hi John,

I don´t believe the boot reaches the point where the virus scanner kicks in. So not sure if it is related to my issue.

I renamed the directories of the virus scanner, so startup scripts wouldn´t even find it. It also didnt make a difference to my startup issue.

This Mac is used by my Son, I can`t have it without. But I share your concern.

Can the virus scanner be the original cause? I doubt it.

Safe mode, the Mac won´t come up, like during regular boot. I don`t know how to enable verbose during safe boot, so I can`t see where it is stuck, assume it´s the same. As per documentation, I am supposed to hold shift until end of the boot, which never completes.

Thanks

Jan 12, 2018 1:31 AM

Reply Helpful

Jan 12, 2018 10:04 AM in response to kraemies In response to kraemies

Can the virus scanner be the original cause? I doubt it.

So do I, but Rule 1 of using Macs is don't install junk. If you already installed it, Rule 2 is to uninstall it. Non-Apple "anti-virus" software is categorically worthless, can't possibly help, and its continued presence or potential latent effects of having used it will only complicate troubleshooting. Continued discourse regarding that subject will just be a waste of your time and mine.

Jan 12, 2018 10:04 AM

Reply Helpful

Jan 13, 2018 12:48 PM in response to kraemies In response to kraemies

I wish I knew what caused that lugubrious message. It's not very common. Other than the few reports I cited I know of no others, and at least one of them was reportedly solved by erasing the disk and reinstalling macOS. Presumably that was a permanent fix.

That's not as drastic a solution as it might seem, as long as you create a backup first (Time Machine or the equivalent).

Jan 13, 2018 12:48 PM

Reply Helpful

Feb 2, 2018 1:48 PM in response to kraemies In response to kraemies

I have had the same problem twice in the last four months and have tried everything you have. The only way I have been able to correct this problem is to keep a flash pen with a installation of as in my case High Sierra on it. All I do at present is to run the Mac from the flash pen which updates the current system correcting the error. I can then run system checks using a few programs but have never found anything wrong and then running Apple Updates to make sure everything is up to date before backing up with Time Machine to a external hard drive.

Feb 2, 2018 1:48 PM

Reply Helpful (2)

Feb 3, 2018 12:16 PM in response to kraemies In response to kraemies

I confirm John Galt's post.

The solution for mine was to erase the disk and reinstall the OS. It did not work to reinstall the OS without erasing the disk. I also tried many simpler suggestions found in the web, but nothing worked. As I had a backup made using Time Machine, I did not lost data. But I lost MANY hours of work: looking for solutions and downloading the time machine (many hours to recover the backup...).

Feb 3, 2018 12:16 PM

Reply Helpful (3)

Feb 3, 2018 1:01 PM in response to Claudiavilega In response to Claudiavilega

With regards to how I created the usb flash drive with the High Sierra Installer I followed the OSXDaily link below:-

http://osxdaily.com/2017/09/27/create-macos-high-sierra-bootable-installer-usb/

Running from the USB drive worked for me, twice now. Reinstalling takes a long time!

Feb 3, 2018 1:01 PM

Reply Helpful

Feb 3, 2018 3:16 PM in response to Beauvoir17 In response to Beauvoir17

I offer this that you all might want to have a look at.

I have always said the best way of updating is from a freshly formatted disk. As it seems updating is not removing old kext files

After a little more research I came across an article by Justin Silver (link below) that suggest a solution by removing out of date extension kexts in the System/Library/Extensions.

After looking at my own extensions I notices three extensions; two had old extension dates; two seemed to be duplicates with the usual added figure added to its name.

User uploaded file

One file had a date of 2016 and the other 2017 and two files are duplicates (last three files on pictured list).

I have since removed the two out of date files and now wait to see if I have any further corpse issues.

https://www.justinsilver.com/technology/os-x-el-capitan-10-11-1-hanging-on-boot- fixed/

Feb 3, 2018 3:16 PM

Reply Helpful

Feb 9, 2018 3:29 PM in response to John Galt In response to John Galt

Hi, I have exactly the same problem!

Suddendly my iMac doesn't boot cause is stuck with the progress bar at 100%. Starting in Verbose mode show the same error as yours (opendirectoryd too many corpses being created).

I've already reinstalled in all known ways without success :-(

We all should report this High Sierra bug to the Apple support contacts! I will open a bug case cause I think it's not acceptable one has to format the HDD for this kind of error!

Feb 9, 2018 3:29 PM

Reply Helpful

Feb 10, 2018 12:27 AM in response to Beauvoir17 In response to Beauvoir17

You should reinstall the operating system but not from Time Machine unless you use a earlier backup other than the current one as it will hold the corrupted files. Better to install a new system an make sure it works before using Time Machine to install your files otherwise you just corrupt what you have installed. Time Machine works well if it backs up a working environment but if it is set to backup everything then that is what you get.

My computer seems stable since removing old kexts files, no more corpse files so far!

Feb 10, 2018 12:27 AM

Reply Helpful
User profile for user: kraemies

Question: High Sierra: qmasterd/opendirectoryd: Too many corpses being created