Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

MacOS High Sierra does not detect the trackpad, although it works

I have a problem with the trackpad in my old MBPro mid 2010. It works correctly, responds to all gestures, but when I enter the SYSTEM PREFERENCES> TRACKPAD, I do not see the trackpad setting but only the message that my computer can't find any bluetooth trackpad.

Thank you in advance for your help!

MacBook Pro, macOS High Sierra (10.13.2), MacBook Pro mid 2010

Posted on Jan 15, 2018 12:13 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Feb 21, 2018 3:31 PM

Same problem here, on same old Macbook Pro mid2010 that I use as secondary Mac (so I didn't check the first version of High Sierra with this issue). NVRAM and SMC reset didn't helped... I'll sand a Feedback to Apple about it.

Somebody else reported here the same issue: Cant change trackpad settings, please help!

and here: My in-built trackpad on my macbook pro is working fine but in settings it says "No trackpad found". Can't change or set up gestures for trackpad anymore. HELP!!!!

8 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Feb 21, 2018 3:31 PM in response to waydidesign

Same problem here, on same old Macbook Pro mid2010 that I use as secondary Mac (so I didn't check the first version of High Sierra with this issue). NVRAM and SMC reset didn't helped... I'll sand a Feedback to Apple about it.

Somebody else reported here the same issue: Cant change trackpad settings, please help!

and here: My in-built trackpad on my macbook pro is working fine but in settings it says "No trackpad found". Can't change or set up gestures for trackpad anymore. HELP!!!!

Mar 12, 2018 1:31 PM in response to rickyces

Ok, thanks for the feedback!
This seems to corroborate the info from the phone support and also the post you linked to earlier (My in-built trackpad on my macbook pro is working fine but in settings it says "No trackpad found". Can't change or set up gestures for trackpad anymore. HELP!!!!) stated that the battery had been taken out due to it being swollen.

If this really only applies to people who are running their (older) laptops without any internal batteries I'd sadly guess the chances of this bug ever getting fixed are pretty low.

Mar 12, 2018 12:12 PM in response to waydidesign

I had the same issue on my mid 2011 MacBook Air 11".

This question might sound stupid, but do you have a battery installed?

Apple phone support just told me that it is a known but probably very low priority bug that High Sierra doesn't let you access the settings for the built-in trackpad if no battery is installed/recognised.

Background:

I did a clean install of High Sierra (10.13.3) and couldn't access the Trackpad settings as it would search for a Bluetooth trackpad similar to your description.

After consulting Apple's phone support I did SMC and PRAM resets and nothing worked.

A clean install of Sierra (10.12.6) on the same machine gave me access to the trackpad settings again.

I made the wished for adjustments in the trackpad settings and downloaded the High Sierra installer through the Mac App Store. After updating, I ended up with the same situation as before: No access to the trackpad settings.

I called Apple support again and a higher level support tech first walked me through resetting the Bluetooth module and then right away checked whether I have a battery installed and as a matter of fact I don't.
The battery expanded last year and I had it removed at an Apple Store, so I am only using the MacBook Air as a stationary device at home these days.

My only option at this point thus is to go back to Sierra and hope that a future update eventually addresses this bug, unless I want to invest in a battery replacement.

MacOS High Sierra does not detect the trackpad, although it works

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.