Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

High Sierra update 10.13.3 won't install

I have been through the download, install & reboot process several times but the install doesn't work and I am still on 10.13.2. I can see the download happening and then the system reboots but then the App Store shows the update is still waiting to download and install. Feels like Groundhog Day!

iMac 5k Retina 27in late 2015. Any ideas?

User uploaded file

User uploaded file

iMac with Retina 5K display

Posted on Jan 24, 2018 3:00 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Jan 24, 2018 4:52 AM

Update: Problem solved by disabling Bitdefender (antivirus software). System installed ok and re-enabled Bitdefender and all working just fine. Interesting though this is the first time an update has been stalled even though I have had Bitdefender on my MAC for over a year. Will see what happens next time an update is issued.

45 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Jan 24, 2018 4:52 AM in response to GBoy_SY

Update: Problem solved by disabling Bitdefender (antivirus software). System installed ok and re-enabled Bitdefender and all working just fine. Interesting though this is the first time an update has been stalled even though I have had Bitdefender on my MAC for over a year. Will see what happens next time an update is issued.

Feb 10, 2018 11:45 AM in response to ngtrains455

Try installing from MacOS Recovery mode: press Option-Command-R upon startup. First run Disk Utility to make any necessary repairs to your startup disk; then run "Reinstall macOS" to reinstall 10.13. Then run software update to ensure you've updated to 10.3.3. Also, before doing so, try resetting the SMC and NVRAM. These support docs might help:

How to reinstall macOS - Apple Support

About macOS Recovery - Apple Support

How to reset the System Management Controller (SMC) on your Mac - Apple Support

How to reset NVRAM on your Mac - Apple Support

Mar 3, 2018 4:49 PM in response to Mr. Studz

Thanks for getting me on track with your solution.

Setup: iMac iMac (Retina 5K, 27-inch, Late 2015) with SSD 500 GB on macOS 10.13.3.

Problem: I downloaded macOS High Sierra 10.13.3 Supplemental Update (19/02/2018) via the App Store.

(The macOS High Sierra 10.13.3 Supplemental Update fixes an issue where using certain character sequences could cause apps to crash)

But after the download, macOS would not restart. The screen goes black and freezes.

Only solution was to power off completely and reboot.

But macOS didn't complete the update.

Retried 20 times => not working.

Official Apple support says: try to update in Safe Mode => not working.

Solution that did work for me:

Step 1: Download macOS High Sierra 10.13.3 Supplemental Update (Download macOS High Sierra 10.13.3 Supplemental Update)

Step 2: Clone your boot volume and boot from the cloned drive

(I had luckily already a bootable backup on an external USB drive made with Carbon Copy Cloner ! :-)

Step 3: install the supplemental update on the ORIGINAL volume, you can select the target during the install process

Step 4: Boot from the original drive

Lesson learned: never 100% trust what official Apple support tells you, but search yourself the Apple Discussions forum for a solution. ;-)

Feb 5, 2018 4:27 AM in response to lucía170

Although it was Bitfender that was the issue for me I found out this by looking to see what 3-party software was running in the background and closed them first. I found Bitfender was preventing the download completing on re-boot so disabling this allowed the install to complete. I then re-enabled Bitfender and everything worked well.

My advice there is to see if you have something running in the background and disable this then try running the install.

Feb 8, 2018 1:02 PM in response to GBoy_SY

Any luck with this? I am in the same boat, no matter what i do i cannot install the 10.3.3 update.

2012 mac mini.

Tried:

-updating from app store

-downloading update
-downloading combined update

-updating from command line

-cloning to another disk and trying all of the above

no bitdefender, or AV software, not running parallels.

Feb 9, 2018 1:18 PM in response to GBoy_SY

No parallels, no anti virus, nothing running in background and I don't really have anything unusual on this machine. I've attempted the install 6 times and my system has auto-attempted 3 times and all have failed. It goes through the entire install process as if it is installing, reboots, and comes up with no errors BUT the update is not installed.

High Sierra update 10.13.3 won't install

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.