Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

MobileSync folder location

How do I change the MobileSync folder location and point iTunes to the new location so subsequent backups happen there?

I'm quickly running out of room on my Mac Pro (only 500GB SSD) and need to free up room and the MobileSync folder is taking up almost 85GB so this would be a good one to move to my external drive.

Please provide step-by-step instructions how to do this.

Thanks !!

Mac OS X (10.7.5)

Posted on Jan 25, 2018 10:06 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Jan 26, 2018 12:33 PM

Hi BEDank,

I understand that you'd like to free up space by moving your iOS backups to an external hard drive. I'm happy to provide some help for this.

While you can't have future backups save to an external hard drive, you can locate your current backups and move those to free up space:

Locate backups of your iPhone, iPad, and iPod touch - Apple Support

Delete or copy iOS backups on your Mac or PC

Don't edit, relocate, rename, or extract content from your backup files, because these actions might ruin the files. Use the following sections to make copies of your backups or delete backups that you no longer need.

Copy iOS backups to another location

If you need copies of your backups, you can find the Backup folder and copy the entire folder (not just part of it) to another place, like an external drive or network-storage location.

When you use Time Machine, it automatically copies your Backup folder when you back up the Home folder on your Mac.

Delete iOS backups

1. Mac: Choose iTunes > Preferences.
    Windows: Choose Edit > Preferences. Learn how to turn on menus in Windows 7 and 8.
  2. Click Devices.
  3. Choose the backup that you want to delete. If you have several devices or backups, hover the mouse pointer over the backup to see more details.
    User uploaded file
  4. Click Delete Backup, then confirm.

Thanks for using the Apple Support Communities. Cheers!

Similar questions

2 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Jan 26, 2018 12:33 PM in response to BEDank

Hi BEDank,

I understand that you'd like to free up space by moving your iOS backups to an external hard drive. I'm happy to provide some help for this.

While you can't have future backups save to an external hard drive, you can locate your current backups and move those to free up space:

Locate backups of your iPhone, iPad, and iPod touch - Apple Support

Delete or copy iOS backups on your Mac or PC

Don't edit, relocate, rename, or extract content from your backup files, because these actions might ruin the files. Use the following sections to make copies of your backups or delete backups that you no longer need.

Copy iOS backups to another location

If you need copies of your backups, you can find the Backup folder and copy the entire folder (not just part of it) to another place, like an external drive or network-storage location.

When you use Time Machine, it automatically copies your Backup folder when you back up the Home folder on your Mac.

Delete iOS backups

1. Mac: Choose iTunes > Preferences.
    Windows: Choose Edit > Preferences. Learn how to turn on menus in Windows 7 and 8.
  2. Click Devices.
  3. Choose the backup that you want to delete. If you have several devices or backups, hover the mouse pointer over the backup to see more details.
    User uploaded file
  4. Click Delete Backup, then confirm.

Thanks for using the Apple Support Communities. Cheers!

MobileSync folder location

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.