Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Issue for "Could not connect to Apple Pay", "apple pay is temporarily unavailable"

I've had Apple Pay and Apple Pay Cash on the phone. I have faced this issues a few weeks ago after a backup and restore.

Since then, I have got a new iphone 6 plus replacement; backup & restore several times; log-off and re-login the App Store; double checked the cellular data setting available for Apple Pay. But non of them helped. Could anybody help for this issues?

Many thanks in advance!

Jack

iPhone 6 Plus, iOS 11.2.5

Posted on Jan 26, 2018 9:30 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Apr 18, 2018 6:53 PM

Go to settings...cellular...scroll down to wallet and slide the bar to green/on

26 replies

Mar 16, 2018 12:52 PM in response to djmexi

I'm having the same issue and have escalated to Apple support. They called me back this morning indicating the second level of support, "engineering", couldn't figure it out and that they were now going to escalate it to the third level support, believing it may be a bug that may need to wait for a software update. This is very frustrating since Apple Pay was one of my favorite features of Apple iOS. All this because I logged out of my Apple ID and back on ... very frustrating.

Mar 13, 2018 9:14 PM in response to JackYin

It's an Apple ID issue because I logged onto my wife's new iPhone 8 with my id and received the same error. However, she was able to add Apple Pay under her id.

As a last resort I created a new Apple ID. I was able to add Apple Pay on my iPhone with the new id. Then I added that id to my Family Sharing (old id, wife, new id) to access my purchased apps. I left my Apple TV on the old id due to the number of movies I had purchased.

Not a perfect setup but it's a workaround.

Question: Has anyone with this issue participated in iOS 11 Beta testing? Just curious if that had something to do with it and this issue was triggered by deactivating/activating a phone.

May 14, 2018 11:29 PM in response to JackYin

For the last several months, I have had a ritual of attempting at least once to set up my Apple Pay right before I went to bed. No matter how many sign in/out or restores I did, always did I get "Apple Pay is temporarily unavailable."

...until just now.

I did nothing, changed nothing. But it worked.

If you've been having this issue, try it now. Good luck. 🙂

Feb 9, 2018 9:08 AM in response to JackYin

I had this issue as well when deleting my cards and adding them back in, due to weird issues with payments declined at terminals. Played with settings and found this solution. Go to settings and tap your name/Apple ID bar located at the very top level. Under payment & shipping, tap your payment card and enter the expiry date and/or verification number located on your credit card if it is blank. You can also do this in the App Store or the Apple Store app wherever “payment information”is located. After doing this, and the verification is complete, jump over to the wallet app and try adding your card again. Note that this worked for me only because it was the same credit card I use for my Apple ID. It also doesn’t hurt to call your issuing bank in advance as they can sometimes have a block on your card. Seems to be a bug with the ”handshake” system between Apple and your bank. Following this step finally allowed me to add my main Pay card back in. I really hope this helps as I know how frustrating things like this are.

Apr 20, 2018 9:13 PM in response to JackYin

Similar issue — After upgrading from an iPhone 7 to an iPhone X and restoring from backup on the new phone, I can no longer use Apple Pay. I constantly get the error message “Could not connect to Apple Pay”. I then had my iPhone X replaced at the Apple store under warranty and the same issue still persists, indicating this must be a software defect. Perhaps something is corrupted in my backup file. Any thoughts? Please advise :)

May 16, 2018 1:29 PM in response to JackYin

I have the same issue. Since I restore my phone I have not been able to open apple wallet. I called apple service several times. My issue escalated all the way up to Tim. However, he does not care much about my phone. But boy he cares about his millions.

Anyways, I believe that this issue is going to be linked to your ID. If you call they are going to have you reset your phone again and again, but this does not solve the issue. I am thinking in creating a new apple ID. That my solve the issue or not.

May 30, 2018 7:53 AM in response to deannafrommesa

I did this as "deannafrommesa" suggested and it WORKED!
Just enable cellular data for the wallet app and it will work.

Alternatively you can add a new apple pay card via the "Settings app" instead of the "Wallet app".Wal

In Settings | Wallet & Apple Pay | click "Add Credit or Debit Card".

You will be able to add it there regardless of whether or not your cellar settings are on for your Wallet

Issue for "Could not connect to Apple Pay", "apple pay is temporarily unavailable"

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.